“Absolutely fantastic”

El Refugio Grill
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: International Cusine Restaurant. Jungle outside private tables for dinner or chill out. Romantic atmosphere, good music. Focus on the good quolity of the products and the service.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My friend and I visited this gem of a restaurant. My friend is a vegetarian and had been struggling with food on the Caribbean coast. The menu is small and the setting is intimate, in fact we both felt it would be perfect for a proposal due to the ambiance and candlelight! The waitress kindly translated the menu for us. My friend had pasta which she advised was the most delicious meal she'd had in Costa Rica whilst I decided to have the steak. We had crepes for dessert. I had a glass of wine, my friend had a cocktail and we both had a soft drink. The waitress was really helpful and called a taxi for us and negotiated the price. The meal was on the expensive side but as far as we were concerned it was worth it. It was the best meal we had in Costa Rica.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I decided to have dinner at this restaurant after one of our excursions. The host was a lovely lady that made us feel very welcome and offered some great suggestions for dinner. The chef is from Argentina and you can tell that he cares about food. I loved the fact that he makes most of there food on the grill. The restaurant is tucked away from downtown Puerto Viejo. If you are looking for a quiet place to have a great meal in Puerto Viejo, I recommend you check out El Refugio.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The setting was ok and just the typical Costa Rican "look" you see everywhere. Even the menu looked normal and so so. But O.MY.GOODNESS!!!!! The food was incredible! First off the guacamole and chips were different. The chips were not the typical plantains, corn nor yucca. They were these super light crisp and airy dough thins made fresh and came out of the kitchen warm. By far THE BEST guac and chips I have ever had. Then came the octopus... one word AMAZING! The plate that made the day though was the beef steak. Argentinians are famed for their meat and this restaurant did not dissapoint. Marinated and grilled to absolute perfection, this plate came with baked yummy crispy potatoes, simple but also made to perfection. One of the few restaurants here with artisanal beer from CR. The place is small enough that the owner/chef gave delightful personalized attention. This place is a must. I will def. be back the next time I am here. Highly highly recommended.

Argenticos, Owner at El Refugio Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks a lot ....
Im glad you enjoyed

Reviewed 2 November 2017

A beautiful quiet tranquil setting . It feels like you are eating at an oasis in the middle of the jungle . The steak is the best in Puerto Viejo . Great service by friendly staff . certainly one of our favorites .

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Small and intimate, El Refugio offers an amazing dining experience. This is a MUST, if you're travelling in the area. The food was fantastic, and the atmosphere amazing!