La Kukula Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$110
  • Breakfast included
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$109
La Perla del Caribe(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$99
Playa 506(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$53
Casa Moabi(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$58
La Finca Chica(Cocles)(Great Value!)
US$95
Hotel Guarana(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$45
Caribe Town(Cocles)
US$115
Coco Loco Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$74
1,645 results
All reviewshowler suiteocean roomthe red frog roomfun tourscosta ricakoi pondin towntour desklarge balconyour honeymoonsan josepura vidaopen airlounge chairsbrowniewalk along the beachblack sand beach
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I would like to tell how excellent and unequaled our stay at Banana Azul was.
After reading all the "5.0"s on Trip Advisor I made reservations and found Nina and Maythe to be exceptionally cordial and professional.
The first potential snag that I thought might happen was when a member of my family was not able to scuba dive. I expected to eat the cost but was pleasantly surprised when I was able to get a refund with no questions asked. First hint of a great time.

The accommodations were fantastic. We stayed in 2 adjoining Ocean Rooms and had a shared balcony. The view of the ocean and surrounding flora and fauna were simply spectacular from the view of the hammock. The sound of the ocean at night was the perfect tranquilizer for sleeping.

The ocean was a very short walk from the hotel and the beach and surrounding view was amazing. We spent 2 days tanning, boogie boarding in the surf and just having a great time.

We had a week of adventure and booked trips to: scuba dive, sea kayak, see rescued sloths and view their rehabilitation, hike to and swim under a waterfall, see how chocolate is made and zipline through the forest among other things. You will not be bored.

The customer service could not have been better. Franklin and Michel were great bartenders and great to talk to. Michel suggested a Brazilian restaurant (Patagonia) when I asked for a dinner recommendation. The food was delicious and a short taxi drive ($4 US) from the hotel.
When my daughter arrived mid-week, Roberto greeted her warmly like family.
There are just too many good things to say about Banana Azul.

I typically never give a 5 Star rating because 5 stars represent the closest thing to perfection and is too often overused and diminishes the meaning.
However in this case a rating of 5 Stars is required.

I would (and have been) recommending Banana Azul to anyone.
Thank you Roberto and all the great staff.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JD265
Reviewed 30 March 2009

The hotel decor, ambiance, staff, food and services could not have been better. It truly was remarkable. On top of the hotel, the area was great. I have vacationed on the Pacific in the past but I liked this area better. Unspoiled beaches for miles. Very little developement and wildlife. We enjoyed the Monkeys on Cauhita point and the hike on the beach. We will be back.
Ed and Karen

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2009

I was just amazed at how lovely my room was here. The woodwork, tilework in the bathroom, private veranda with ocean view. Very helpful staff as well, and great breakfasts! I can see why this hotel is always full-- the price is extremely reasonable for the quality. I can't wait to return to Banana Azul. Wonderful friendly dogs too.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2009

An unspoiled oasis where the jungle meets the sea. The beach is beautiful, with water warm enough to swim in all day. Hammocks everywhere, in sun and shade. Every member of staff seems genuinely happy to be there and happy to help you. They can book you into virtually any adventure you want to have in Costa Rica, and it's also an exceptionally nice place to just read a book, listen to the surf, and relax in a shady spot. For a hotel of modest size (a dozen or so rooms) the food they offer is surprisingly good and very reasonably priced. The nearby town of Puerto Viejo (taxi ride takes 10 minutes and costs 4 dollars) offers several good places to eat and things to do. Ask for an ocean view room.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I traveled with a group of 11 friends, both singles and couples, and we had the most wonderful, relaxing, fun, laid-back vacation ever. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the meals prepared there were some of the best we had during the whole visit to Puerto Viejo. We were easily able to plan activities and tours with the help of the staff, and it was pretty easy to get into the main town from here, either by walking on the beach or taking a taxi.

We all fell in love with this place. It is not for those seeking a high-end, cheesy, luxury resort, and the lack of those kinds of tourists is precisely what makes the town and the guest house so desireable. I only saw one guy walking down the road on a cell phone during my 8 days there.

Thank you Colin, and we hope to meet ROberto next time around!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends