“Great food, amazing cocktails, decent prices and friendly staff”

Madre Tierra Puerto Viejo
Cuisines: Caribbean, Italian, Fusion
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

Excellent cocktails with a great price deal, very good food and great service. I recommend the Talamanca Cocktail (it's very sweet and dessert-ish though) and the fresh fruit Margarita. Their plantain and guacamole starter was super tasty, as well as their homemade habanero sauce. We also had the red snapper special, also very good.

The cocktails are made without a specific measure, and the bartender (very friendly guy) will give you your cocktail glass together with a free refill.

(It's important to note that the 10% service tax is not included in the prices.)

1  Thank TheHappyholic

Reviewed 16 November 2016

If you want an excellent cocktail, this is the place to go! Sit upstairs and get a view of the beach while sipping a work of art. The staff were super friendly and even prevented my wallet from being pick pocketed. They made us feel secure and welcomed and took care of our large group of 12 beautifully.

Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

Tried it out after reading all the great reviews, and was quite disappointed. The location was great; sitting upstairs gives you a Birdseye view of the street below and it's fun to people watch. The food? It was ok. I had a special with homemade gnocchi and shrimp; it was good, but it wasn't the best food I've had in CR. It didn't impress me with flavor. My husbands food was awful...dried out chicken, not much flavor (Caribbean style), and quite lackluster. A dinner plate is anywhere from $10-20USD (equivalent), so it's reasonable. Just not as special as I'd hoped.

Reviewed 29 October 2016 via mobile

My wife and I as well as a bunch of new friends we met at another bar came here last night based on reviews I had read. We sat upstairs, got to watch the night pass by and enjoy amazingly delicious drinks made with all fresh ingredients. I can't stand when a margarita is to sweet, I mentioned this when I ordered and hands down best margarita I have ever had. My wife had a strawberry mojito, friends had regular mojito and also a piña colada. All amazing and we will definitely be returning. Can't recommend this place enough. Prices were great especially for the quality you get. All the food looked amazing and are looking forward to going back. Thanks!

1  Thank Daniel K
Reviewed 24 October 2016

You have to drink here- their drinks are so interesting and delicious. All of the food was an interesting mix of international cuisine with a local flare. Our best dinner out in Puerto Viejo. Great for a date as well!