“Jeff closed Jefe's in November 2013”
Review of Jefe's Restaurante & Cantina - CLOSED

Jefe's Restaurante & Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The gringo gave it a good run. Passionate about food, but it's over, closed, done, finished.

Problem is too many x100 eateries in Quepos/M.A. for a declining tourist population in an 8 month tourism season.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

This review is late , but better late than never!! Myself and my 18 year old niece stayed at Plinio Hostel (good place too!) and we come from Texas....so we LOVE Mexican food! We ate at Jefe's place at least 4-5 times and tried alot of his food ! It was always fresh and delicious and the prices were awesome! The happy hour was great too and you could see the sunset also! Check out Jefe's and tell him Margo and Mikayla said hi!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Read excellent reviews; 11 of us headed over in the rain for dinner only to find them closed for the season. Would have been nice for our hotel to have told us when we asked for directions: that will be a separate. Review.

hefe_jeff, Owner at Jefe's Restaurante & Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

I apologize for not being able to accommodate your group but as is the case with many business' in this tourist community and others around the world we have high and low season and many businesses choose to close during the low seasons. I do not think that we deserve a "poor" review just because we are closed during the low season.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

We started off with a refreshing $2 margarita and then ordered the chips and guacamole which was chopped and mixed with just the right ingredients. It tasted great on the crispy chips. If you like a little extra heat in your guacamole ask for their fire in the hole hot sauce. The hot sauce went well with a second margarita. Jeff then grilled us probably the best hamburger I have ever had, which was bacon infused. I normally put mustard on my hamburgers, but this was cooked to perfection and served on a fresh bagel with a large slice of tomato and lettuce and needed nothing more. The combination of great service, an amazing sunset, Jimmy Buffett and a nice conversation with Jeff made for the perfect way to end the day. Thanks Jeff and staff.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

So I think we really lucked out finding this place to eat for dinner. I recall passing it in the car on the way to our hotel upon first arriving in Manuel Antonio/Quepos and really wanted to check it out

When we arrived, Jeff (the proud owner), greeted us promptly. He explained that the restaurant/hostel just re-opened under new ownership.

We ordered Margarita's, which were ok, but I am pretty picky about my margarita...(I wish restaurants/bars would stick to simple lime juice, tequila, and cointreau or triple sec) I did, nonetheless, drink three of them, so they were not so bad. We were HUNGRY, and dinner was not ready yet. Jeff tells us he likes to cook "low and slow", so the chicken he was slow grilling was not quite ready. So he sweetly prepared us this amazing smoked trout dip with tortilla chips, which I devoured.

When it came time for dinner, I had the best pulled pork taco's of my life! That is quite a statment, as I reign from Arizona and California. My husband fully enjoyed the grilled chicken (rubbed in spices and herbs I am forgetting) His meal also came with baked beans, which were out of this world. Both entree's were served with Jeff's scrumptious homemade sauces--which should be bottled and sold for the world to enjoy.

This was by far the best meal we ate the entire week spent in Costa Rica. Everything was fresh and made with such love and pride. The bar is small, cozy and offers a beautiful sunset view. We felt like guests in someone's home.

This establishment is run by Jeff and his family. They made us feel very welcome and comfortable. We learned that the hostel and restaurant has been passed down to new owner's over the years and is somewhat of an institution in Quepos/Manuel Antonio. It is really cool and should be checked out.

Bon Appetit!