2,958 results
All reviews casa panorama villa mot mot casa de frutas boogie boards private beach bamboo villa concierge chris villa cielito costa rica zip lining private chef brownie garden house personal concierge dinner reservations squirrel monkeys grocery store
Reviewed 19 August 2016 via mobile

That is what best describes the unit where I stayed at this reknown Resort from Manuel Antonio. Spacious, comfortable and well decorated, immersed in Nature and with spectacular ocean views. I was even so lucky to have a family of white faced monkeys visiting me at my balcony while they were moving through the forest. The great service and friendly attitude of its whole staff sums up to a memorable experience during my short stay here. Definitively one of my favorites.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2016

Hi Danigeil......thank you so much for the wonderful review.....I really enjoyed reading it......I agree with you....."comfort....tranquility....nature"......I love that at 8 PM it is SO QUIET in Tulemar.....you can hear "nature"......amazing......same way in the early mornings......the sounds of the jungle.....thanks for letting us help you choose the best accommodations......just tell us what you are looking for and we'll let you know the best option......price....style....or size.....luxury to rustic....jungle or ocean views....at tulemar.com......so....Danigeil....thanks again for the review and I hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2016 via mobile

My wife found Tulemar on the net...we decided to spend a week here after seeing pictures of the villas and reading the rave reviews...some reviews complained about the furniture and decor bring dated....I think that only applies to the smaller bungalows...my wife and 3 kids absolutely loved the 2 BR villa we stayed in...overlooking the family pool...with amazing views of the jungle and beach...both BR and main living room opened out into a deck....we enjoyed eating breakfast here every morning...

Our concierge Andres Estrada, Maria Zuniga (front desk), and Maria Reyes were fluent in English and did everything to make our stay extremely enjoyable....they booked all our tours (White Water Rafting, Ziplining, Jet Skiing, and Manuel Antonio Nature tour) before we even checked in...David at the beach took care of our beach chairs, towels, boogie boards, and kayaks....the entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful...

Prices for a 2 or 3 BR are pretty steep...but the villa is so big...you could comfortably share it with another family to keep cost down....but you really get what you pay for...we have every intention of coming back next yr....

Pura Vida Tulemar

Trip type: Travelled with family

Hi Jimmy D.....thank you for the 5 Star review......so happy to hear that your family enjoyed their stay in Tulemar.....you are right.....the smaller units like the original Tulemar Bungalows are 25 years old now.....tropical, rustic and kind of quirky design.....octagon with glass all around.....like the Jetson's house if they lived in Tulemar......they look exactly like they do in the photos.....clean and well maintained.....and fun for smaller families......thanks for the kind words on our staff.....we really do work hard to make sure our guests enjoy their stay.....I'm thrilled to hear that you'll be returning......just let us know and we'll have your 2 bedroom casa ready!

Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

The villas are very spacious with great views of ocean. Private beach is nice with small waves for body surfing. Very hilly. Only one restaurant on property - Some nice restaurants right outside of property. Swimming pools are small - if you want a quiet spot to relax - good place to go, if looking for a large resort atmosphere - this is not the place. I would recommend for a quiet relaxing few days

Trip type: Travelled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2016

Hi Scott S.....thank you for the 5 Star review and the nice comments.....glad that you enjoyed your stay in Tulemar.....you are right about Tulemar not having the large resort atmosphere......that's not what we are about.....Tulemar is a 33 acre, gated and secure, residential resort located right in the heart of Manuel Antonio. We have a collection of over 45 different, unique and individual 3★, 4★, and 5★ accommodations, ranging from our rustic Bungalows to our luxurious Private Villas.
Our properties are surrounded by jungle and the wildlife is abundant; you'll see monkeys, sloths and exotic birds throughout the property and on our hiking trails. At the Tulemar Beach you'll find warm, tropical waters with a sandy beach and lots of shady palm trees plus free lounge chairs, umbrellas, kayaks, boogie boards, towels and food/beverage service.
We are not a traditional 5★ resort, an all-inclusive or a franchised hotel (with loud music playing around the pool areas and lobby). If you're looking for a relaxing spot with amazing ocean views, a beach and lots of wildlife, this is it. Hope to see you back again!

Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

We (my husband, 8 year old and myself) have just spent a week here. Having read all the glowing reviews, my expectations were really high. It didn't 100% match them but you can't really not give this place anything but a big overall thumbs up! If you have the chance and opportunity to come here, you'd be an idiot not to.

Tulemar isn't a hotel - it's a mixed bag of privately owned houses set on a hillside leading down to a private beach overseen by a management company. Some properties are obviously older and they're still building new ones. Because of its size, it never feels particularly busy.

We stayed in a Standard Room - this was the bottom half of a small villa, wasn't especially large and facilities wise it pretty sparse. This is a 3 star unit at much more than 3 star prices (one night here cost the same as almost 3 in our San Jose hotel which I preferred). Without spending a fortune it could be improved e.g a pedal bin for waste toilet paper you're not allowed to flush to reduce the bad whiffs, a tea towel to dry dishes, more than one bed side lamp and more than 3 clothes hangers. To be honest, we've stayed in much nicer family rooms for a lot less money. Few have had such an incredible view from the balcony and over the week we saw troops of monkeys and a sloth and the most fantastic sunsets so it was very easy to get over the rooms shortcomings!

Tulemar has 4 pools, all lovely and often empty. The estate is huge and is rainforest - though a trip to Manuel Antonio is pretty much a must do, we saw such a wide diversity within Tulemar. I'd have missed a lot without members of staff pointing things out. There is a Sloth Institute on the property (they give a walk at $15 a person which you book through your concierge - v popular so gets booked up). There's also a free daily nature walk - you need to book this too!

The private beach is great and the water is pretty warm. As well as the road, you can reach it by a signposted beach trail (worth doing but steep and slippery so forget flip flops! It passes a waterfall and is good for monkey spotting). There are boogie boards and kayaks free to use at the beach along with loungers and towels). The road down to the beach is very steep and often wet. We always walked everywhere but there is a shuttle service you can call on to take you anywhere in the property. Going into the sea, you walk across rocks and stones before reaching sand. The supermarket to the left sells beach shoes if you need them!

The restaurant and bar prices at Tulemar aren't cheap. Manuel Antonio is a tourist trap but there are many many more reasonably priced places along the road outside. There is a small on site mini supermarket as well as 2 others outside less than 5 minutes away. They are all a bit over priced, if you have a car I suspect the big supermarket in Quepos might be a better option!

The staff are exceptional and well trained. Everyone gets a concierge - for any Brits reading this, the equivalent of a Holiday rep, checking daily if you're ok, want to book a tour or a restaurant etc. Ours was Michael, a charming guy with enough savvy to realise quickly that we weren't his best prospects!

In terms of who goes here - when we went, couples and families. I expected a lot of North Americans which there were - but there were quite a few Brits as well which I hadn't expected!

On a final note, August is rainy season. When we were there, the weather pattern was glorious hot mornings and a proper big thumping tropical rainstorm in the afternoon or evening. Always carrying an umbrella is a good idea! Paranoid about dengue, Zika etc I brought lots of repellant. My 8 year old was unbitten but we adults got a few on toes and ankles. Based on what seemed to work on us, unfortunately natural products were useless and deet ruled!

4  Thank sarah36

Hi sarah36.....thank you so much for the wonderful review......filled with so much information.....I agree with everything.....we do have a collection of 3, 4 and 5 Star accommodations in Tulemar.....from the rustic bungalows to the luxurious private villas....something for everyone.....(the Standard Rooms that you stayed in should have a few more amenities!).....with the additional non-stop flights from England, France, Spain and Germany, we're getting many more Europeans......and I met a very nice couple from Iceland yesterday.......glad you took The Sloth Walk presented by the Sloth Institute of Costa Rica.....exclusively for our guests.....as you mentioned they have a research facility right in Tulemar studying our sloth population......hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2016

Beautiful suites -- perfect for a group trip. The staff was wonderful and great with kids. The property has a private beach and we spent the entire day at the beach -- they have lots of activities. Food is good.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Amita V
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Hi Amita V.....thank you so much for the 5 Star review.....we really appreciate it.....Tulemar is perfect for a group trip.....we have 45 different one, two, three, four and five bedroom accommodations......great for families and groups of all sizes.....or couples......hope to have you back with us again soon!