La Mariposa Hotel(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$106
Parador Resort and Spa(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$239
Bookit.com
Gaia Hotel & Reserve(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$242
Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$124
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Vela Bar(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$352
US$341
Tulemar Resort(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$205
Hotel Villa Roca(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$99
Los Altos Resort(Manuel Antonio)
US$400
2,824 results
All reviewscasa panoramavilla mot motboogie boardscasa de frutasprivate beachconcierge chrisvilla cielitobamboo villacosta ricazip liningprivate chefgarden housedinner reservationspersonal conciergegrocery storebrowniesquirrel monkeys
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

We needed to get away for a well-earned break, especially my wife, during the Christmas holidays so we decided to splash out and rent Bamboo Villa #2.

As other reviewers have said, they are as good in real life as they look in the photos! They are exceedingly interesting from an architectural point of view and in my opinion, well designed and practical. Especially, if like me, you like to spend lots of time outside.

The bedroom level on top affords beautiful views and is extremely spacious and luxuriant, from the dedicated walk-in wardrobe, and huge shower to the double sink units and cabinets in an area the side of a bowling alley!

The kitchen dining area on the mezzanine level was well appointed and comfortable. We took advantage of the Chef service twice and had dinner made for us, which was fabulous.

The plunge pool, sun and day bed areas is roomy and comfortable and with the adjustable blinds down, it’s fine to stay outside in all but the heaviest downpours.

The resort and beach are beautiful and extremely well run by happy, approachable staff. But it has to be said, Costa Ricans appear to be really courteous and warm in general.

What really made a difference was the concierge service. Brian Quarta takes care of the Villas with great enthusiasm and efficiency. Nothing is too much trouble and he is really proactive in making one’s stay care-free. He is a real credit to Tulemar. Brian’s staff provide a daily room service and this is always carried out when you are away from the villa, or when you want really.

It is hard to fault the location, the accommodation or the fantastic service provided. We made a few small suggestions to Brian (that were really nit-picking things) and he acted on these almost immediately - which was almost annoyingly good! So 10 out of 10 for Brian and his guys.

Just a few general comments -

- I found the bed a little soft, but this is a personal thing and not necessarily a criticism.
- the outdoor floor tiles can be a little slippery when wet. Not a problem if you are used to it. Apparently, Brian tells me they have been considering options to try and improve friction.
- if you like steep hills to walk, Tulemar is for you! If you don’t, there is a shuttle that runs from the beach back up to the resort entrance
- likewise, if you want to stay active, the Villa does have plenty of stairs to climb. So if you are not so mobile, this needs to be considered.
- we did the Sloth Walk on one morning and this was a lovely use of a couple of hours spent with very knowledgeable people from the Sloth Institute (who are based on-site). You will see sloths, monkeys, squirrels and all sorts of flora and fauna
- the restaurants/cafes on-site are very good, but also, from the villas, it is a very short uphill walk to the entrance office, which has a convenience shop, or local supermarkets and restaurants are with a few hundred metres away too
- Emilio’s is a great place to eat, and the felafel bar almost opposite was really tasty value.
- we did a few tours whilst in the area: Jeep safari (very good)’ Mangrove tour (very good, mainly due to the guide) and the Spice Plantation tour (Villa Vanilla) which was a real educational highlight and special place to visit. Check with Brian what’s available - he handles all the details usually.

In summary, if you can afford to visit Tulemar and stump up for the Bamboo Villas, do it. It’s special.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
TulemarDave, Your Host at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Hi JohnnyMack1966....thank you so much for such a thorough review on the NEW Tulemar Bamboo Villas.....(luxury villas for 2)......these unique and special villas are only available at tulemar.com....as we don't list them with any of the online booking sites....thanks for touching on so many wonderful aspects of your stay....I appreciate all of your comments....and thanks for mentioning the unparalleled services of Brian....your personal concierge.....and the rest of the Bamboo Villa staff....there to help make the entire stay just exactly what you are looking for...so glad you were able to take The Sloth Walk in Tulemar....presented by The Sloth Institute of Costa Rica.....exclusively for our guests....they only take 10 people each day and it fills quickly.....(so book it soon with your concierge).....the Sloth Institute has a rescue and release program within Tulemar.....plus they have a team of researchers that actually live in Tulemar and track and study the sloths 24/7.....it is an amazing program and we are so proud to be their partners....thanks again for the review and we hope you and your wife return again to Tulemar for another "well-earned" break!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

This place was fantastic! I was only able to stay one night, but it was a great experience! The room was wonderful, the views are amazing and the customer service was beyond amazing! Upon arrival, I was given a personal concierge, Gary, he was fantastic! He showed me around the resort, and within the first ten minutes, we saw a sloth, holler monkeys, squirrel monkeys and two iguanas. Gary took me to the private beach where I waited until my room was ready. The beach was beautiful.

While on the beach, I was able to order lunch from my lounge chair, and it was delivered to me as I sat in the lounge chair soaking up the sun. Just as I finished my sandwich, Gary came back and told me that my room was ready. He, then, showed me the room and continued to set up my dinner reservations, massage, and my transportation needs for the next day. Incidentally, Kathia, gave me a wonderful deep tissue massage!

I went to the on-site restaurant for dinner and it was delicious! Jorge, one of the waiters was so nice and sweet. I was dining alone and he was kind enough to make conversation with me several times and ask if I needed anything. He also made a wonderful dessert recommendation: Tres leches! Yum!! I also had breakfast at the restaurant the next morning, and had an amazing view! Omar, my waiter, was great! The monkeys were in the trees and and a
few on the roof, one of them stole the sugar bowl! The other guests and I were laughing. Omar called them the Monkey Mafia.

Everyone at this resort was wonderful and the customer service was phenomenal! Rudy was my driver on several occasions, and again, so nice and always smiling. Jean Carlos, at the front desk was kind enough to call Interbus for me as I was worried because they weren’t there on time. He also carried my bags to the Interbus bus when I was leaving.

I didn’t want to leave this magical place, and I will be back again in the future. The picture I included was taken with my IPhone as I ate breakfast......breathtaking views.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
TulemarDave, Your Host at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Hi there! Thank you for such a wonderful review on your stay with us in Tulemar...it really means a lot to us that you took the time to share your experience with us and future guests...even though you were here for a short time you now know the truth behind our slogan "Tulemar - Where Nature Lives"......all three types of monkeys.....both types of sloths......majestic birds like the scarlet macaws and toucans......and exotic reptiles.....staying at Tulemar is like living in the jungle....because it is.....lol…and thank you for the kind words on your personal concierge Gary...you made his day with your review...Omar, Jorge, and Jean Carlos all appreciate your mention of their services as well....thanks again for the review and for booking with us at tulemar.com...next time you visit make sure to stay longer!

Reviewed 9 January 2018

This December was my third trip to Costa Rica. I fell in love with the country and in particular the Quepos/Manuel Antonio area eight years ago on a fishing trip. Last year I decided to take my wife and she had a similar experience, love at first sight. This year we returned with her two sons ages 6 and 9 for the most incredible time. We stayed in Casa Mirador and if we never left the place, it would have been a memorable trip. Words just can’t describe the peace and seclusion Tulemar offers. The restaurants are great and if your looking to spend time at the beach, theirs is second to none. Chris Madrigal, our host, attended to our every need and even surprised us with a birthday gift for my oldest step-son. He couldn’t have been happier. We feel like we truly have a friend in Quepos now. Thank you Chris.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Hi fredmecklenburg...thank you for the kind review on your stay in Casa Mirador.....one of our most requested villas......with 2 bedrooms / 2.5 baths / 2 floors / living-dining-full kitchen and that amazing large balcony with an outdoor living/dining room and panoramic ocean views.....plus the services of Chris.....your personal concierge....there to make your Tulemar vacation that much more special (so glad your oldest step-son enjoyed his birthday gift!).....and you'll find it only at tulemar.com....as we don't list any of our special and unique villas with the online booking sites.....so glad you were able to come back to Costa Rica for a third time...and with your family...what a special time...thanks again for the review... and so you know, you most certainly have a friend in Quepos now...see you next time!

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

This hotel is located on the most amazing beach in a tropical jungle like location. We all absolutely loved it!

Ashley, our concierge, was very helpful and booked all our restaurants and tours. A highlight was the surfing lessons which our 3 boys loved! The other highlight was just walking around the grounds and seeing sloths and monkeys.

The food at the onsite restaurant was amazing and the views from there outstanding.

We hope to return!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Hi Michelle M...thank you for the five star review on your stay in Tulemar and the services of your personal concierge, Ashley...she takes pride in knowing all of the best restaurants and tours in the Manuel Antonio area(make sure to book your favorites with her today!).....and thanks for mentioning our wildlife.....we have two special committees within Tulemar dedicated to their preservation and growth....our "Nature and Wildlife Committee" and our "Tree Committee" that helps preserve their habitat....in addition is our partnership with The Sloth Institute of Costa Rica…thanks again for the review and booking/staying with us at tulemar.com...come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 9 January 2018

We were pretty sure that with all the traveling that we do, that nothing was going to beat the scenery and location of Hawaii. But I'd venture to say that our experience at the Tulemar and the surrounding environment in Costa Rica was at least twice as rewarding as any travel experience we've ever had. We stayed in the Bamboo Villa #3. The villa was at the top of the hill side overlooking the ocean and it's really hard to describe just how beautiful it was every day to wake up to/go to bed to and be around all day long. The beach access was within walking distance, or a drive, which was very convenient. Snorkeling and kayaking is a walk away. The Cafe/Room Service delivery had great options to choose from. Some local bars and live music were a walk away. And the convenience store located on the property had everything we needed for a quick grab. Watching the Scarlet Macaws fly by in the morning and evening was a really nice touch. Waking up to the howler monkeys in the morning was a fantastic alarm (and not too early).

Brian Quarta was our concierge for our 4 night stay. It didn't matter what time of day or what the issue was, Brian promptly and professionally replied to any communication we sent to him. His personality and excitement for what he does really shines through and he was kind enough to give us traditional tamales as a holiday gift that were excellent. I don't usually consider having a concierge to be an impactful part of my trips, but Brian was incredibly unique and he actually made the experience of our trip even more valuable. I've never said that about a concierge. If you get the chance to come to Tulemar, you'd do well to request Brian for your services. The cleaning staff were also very impressive and accommodated our laundry needs and even customized their schedules to meet our demands.

I don't usually have the inclination to visit a place that I've already been to--I enjoy my time and then look forward to the next adventure. And the idea of staying at the same place is usually even less appealing. But we will be visiting Tulemar again. There's no place in the world like Costa Rica--which is obviously a country worth visiting no matter where you can stay--but if you want a trip to remember with staff, services and scenery that will change you as a person after your trip, then you want to stay at Tulemar and connect with Brian Quarta.

Room Tip: Bungalow Villa 3 has the highest setting on the hillside. But I doubt you could go wrong with any room on the property.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
TulemarDave, You Host at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Hi David C...WOW...thank you for such an awesome 5 star review on your honeymoon stay in the Tulemar Bamboo Villas...your review brought a smile to our entire staff today...especially Brian, he is so appreciative of your kind words...I am so glad to hear your experience in Costa Rica and in Tulemar "...was at least twice as rewarding as any travel experience..." you've ever had...everything you shared in your review is exactly why Tulemar is so special...and the Bamboo Villas with their exciting indoor/outdoor design....along with the private pool and outdoor showers....plus the services of Brian...really make for an experience that will keep you coming back for more...remember the Bamboo Villas are only available at tulemar.com...thanks again for the amazing review...all of us here at Tulemar hope to see you again very soon! Congratulations again!