“Relaxing Beautiful Piece of Paradise!”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #31 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Greeted, helped and served by one the friendliest hotel staff I have ever met. By the end of the stay - they felt like extended family! Great recommendations for all the activities, and for navigating the area. Hotel is nestled up in the beautiful rain forest setting - before entering the room we saw a family of friendly monkeys swinging through the trees. The room was spacious, comfortable and had quiet modern air conditioning. The beautiful view of the ocean and tropical setting from the balcony topped it off! Food is good - and they were in the process of changing the menu with a recent hire of a chef from the Four Seasons. The hotel is a slight distance to the beach, but personally prefer to have a place that I can retreat to after a full day of activities. Hotel California helped make the stay in Costa Rica a pleasurable and memorable experience! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Great place! We had a large clean room with a balcony that looked straight out at the ocean. A/C, coffee maker, refrigerator and walk-in shower were great features. Conveneient outdoor restaurant has good food and service. Very young and cute staff that helped us with activities, taxis and our plane ride back to San Jose. No complaints. I'd recommend this place to friends and family.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I was in room #22. Double beds, balcony, free air conditioning, tv with > 80 channels, welcome bath kit with loofah sponge and soap. There is coffee and a fridge. More counter space in the bathroom, but no fan to reduce humidity; good water pressure and had hot water. Safety deposit box in the room closet. Restaurant is expensive to eat at. Pool was nice, no shade when sitting in the chairs though. Super nice views of the ocean in the common areas. About 5 minutes to town, but had to walk along a gravel road to get to the bus stop. Bus fare was 250 colones.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of our G Adventure Tour and it was pretty good. We had a separate little "hacienda" type room, which was nice. It also had the softest mattress I have experienced in Costa Rica (so far...). The pool was a great temperature, but the hot tub was tepid only. The food was a little pricey compared to the local Sodas, but was very good. Happy hour was 2 for 1 drinks from 4-7pm! The hotel is about $4US from Quepos and $6 US to Manuel Antonio.

Room Tip: Ask for the separate little hacienda room!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I didn't think this hotel was very good to stay at. It is clean and the most of the staff are friendly, however, I found it was too expensive and out of the way. It is on a hill and not close to anything, so therefore not convenient, unless you have a car. I came here with a tour, but arrived a day earlier.. I only stayed here because it was where my tour was going. When I enquired about hotels right on the beach and close to manual antonio park, the prices were actually about 30% less then Hotel California. I don't think it was worth the price. In addition, we were informed by our tour guide (after I paid for my room that additional night) that the hotel would give us a rate about half what I paid. When I spoke to the manager about this, he said the rate was per person, which is why we had paid double. But that doesn't make sense to me, since we shared a room. A room price, is a room price, since when is it per person, and if there is an additional cost per person, since when is it double? When i asked him why we didnt' get our own room then, he said he didn't know... which means to me his explanation was crap. I also mentioned to the manager that other hotels in the area were about 30% less then the rate he gave, but he just looked at me and said nothing. Even the Best Western was about 30% less...I feel like I got ripped off.. so for that, I wouldn't recommend anyone stay here, nor would I ever stay here myself again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo