All reviewsstudio apartmentpool villaaccess roadlarge porchin townthe ownerprepare mealsliving spacewindows and doorsoutdoor showerview is amazingcosta ricabeautiful placemontezuma beachhot watersan josehowler monkeys
Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

We were surprised how charming these small casitas were. We rented a 2 bedroom casita and it was perfect amount of room for someone planning to spend most of their time exploring during the day. We only stayed one night due to our travel plan but this would make for a perfect multi family destination as there are several houses on the property. The pool is beautiful especially at sunrise and during the day there are cabanas near by to lounge and keep cool.
The bugs of CR are going to be a part of this adventure but as long as u keep doors/ windows closed, it should help minimize.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

To set the scene, we had 4 couples traveling together and were staying at an Airbnb in a "not so desirable" part of Costa Rica because this was our first trip here. After researching better options we booked a water taxi to Montezuma and spoke with the lovely ladies Lizette and Farina (I believe) and made a reservation at Casita Sollevante. Only 2 couples made it because of illness and this vacation had been plagued with unfortunate occurrences BUT everything changed when we drove up the drive Casita Sollevante. Simply breathtaking as we walked around the building and took in the magnitude of the views. The ladies in the office were so kind and we felt like friends immediately. The rooms were amazing, BIG BED and really cool indoor/outdoor shower! They gave us recommendations for dinner which was just as amazing as our accommodations. We went from swearing we would never darken the doorstep of this part of the world again... to planning another trip to come back in November. Thank you so much for saving our vacation. Seriously, thank you.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

The hotel is situated on the top of montezuma hills.
1km away from the town so it is clearly better to have a car.
The last 500meter to get to the hotel are in very poor condition and you will need for sure a SUV (but if you travel in costa rica it is highly recommended to have a suv).

The room was in good condition and the outside shower was quite nice to enjoy.
Only do not got there for the pool or jacuzzi there are not as nice as the picture could let you think.
Also have in mind that you cannot get a breakfast there.
So you have to buy food to prepare your own breakfast or go in town to have a nice one.

Globally i recommend the hotel as the view room and service was ok.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2016

We stayed for four days with six people, four in the Pool Villa and two in a Double Room.

The good:

- Clean
- Very nice view. The view is about 60 degrees (hemmed in by trees on either side) and is set back far enough that you don't have a white water view. The sun rises in Dec right in the center of the view. Most of the villas, but not all, have direct access to this view. By Costa Rica standards, this is not a spectacular view, but it remains very nice and one of the best features of this hotel.
- Super nice staff. Very friendly and helpful. Although there isn't someone available 100% of the time, they were sufficiently accessible that I give 5 stars for service.
- Sufficient linens, new and nice enough, but certainly not luxury by any stretch.
- Living space was ample for the prices paid. The single bathroom in the Pool Villa was a little restrictive for 4 people.
- Building layout was nearly perfect. Each unit has its view corridor and is out of the way of the other units.
- Super wildlife. Wildlife was abundant (and yes that includes huge insects). There were a wide variety of birds, small mammals, iguanas (of course), and insects.
- Location. You do need a car or be ready to cab or hike to get to Montezuma. However, the location for our group was perfect being out of town and quite.

The bad

- Noisy children playing. The #1 bad item might not be bad for you. There were kids every day and all day seemed to be making noise. We had a hard time finding a time to get in the pool peacefully. The kids would walk right up to our unit and chat at 6am. They squirted us with squirt toys while sunning and were by my standards out of control. It was a real downer and the main reason for 3 stars. If you have a family trip planned, this might not be a problem (and I would rate it 4 stars) but if you are adults looking for a reasonable adult hangout, this isn't a good choice. It should be advertised as kid friendly.
- Walkways poorly planned and executed. Although the building layout was superb, the walking layout was definitely not. The paths go right by the front of the units (could be routed at the backs), and the paths were in general in bad shape. Walking barefoot was tough.
- Cheap construction. The property and living spaces were designed well, but built "tico style". This means very inexpensive construction. One result of this is that the owners posted signs in a fairly new hotel, that you can't throw your toilet paper in the toilet and have to put it in the trashcan. Although this is actually not necessary and is a bad conclusion made by many home owners in Costa Rica, it shows that the owners don't have faith in the plumbing. The hot water in the Double Room was of the instant-on type and was the cheapest unit on the market. It works by having a single hot temperature hot stream and you have to mix the cold by using the knob. The problem was the sensitivity of the knob and the time it took for changes to be reflected in the output temperature. It was excruciating to have to constantly step out of the stream when it was too hot and then adjust only to get cold after 30 seconds and start again. Very unpleasant showering experience in an otherwise very nicely designed outside shower.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brice D
Reviewed 5 December 2016

Arrived after long day of travel-shuttle to ferry to shuttle to taxi only to find that my travel company had not sent my confirmation to Casitas. No problem said Verina and Lizette when we arrived. They called company and quickly sorted everything out for us and brought us down to our casita, casita amarilla.
We were so tired and hungry and the last thing we wanted to do was get back in a cab to downtown for lunch. No problem said verina and Lizette, we'll see if Marco can make some lunch. Sure enough, Marco made us a lovely lunch-did I mention that he is the owner.
Next stop was a walk downtown-not a long walk but very twisty downhill. Lupo the neighbor's dog walked us all the way downtown-he'd stop occasionally and look back at us as if to say it's okay guys, keep walking, I got your back. He also came back to visit us later in our stay for a drink of water and a brief nap on our porch. He's a gentle giant of a dog with a nice soul.
Anyway, the Casita at first glance is a bit rustic. Clean comfortable beds and functional kitchen. By the end of my first morning there I wanted to stay forever. We made coffee in the morning-after I got up to catch the sunrise over the Pacific-the views cannot be beat!! We would sit out on our porch drinking coffee and taking in nature. The howler monkeys and the parrots and the hummingbirds and the etc etc. I had my tab and books but I could not concentrate on anything but the nature around us-I was captivated by it. My husband finally relaxed and took a deep breath here after 5 days in CR. To me it was magical. I can't say enough about Verina and lizette-they are the friendliest and most helpful hosts we've ever had and we travel everywhere.
Montezuma is a quaint hippy dippy little town with a very laid back vibe. Lots of dreads-tats-backpackers-young families-yoga devotees-very cool crowd. I felt very comfortable there.
If you are looking for 5 star accommodation-you are looking in wrong place. If you want nice people that care about your visit, stay here!
PS if you complain because there is no tv-you don't deserve to stay here. Just saying!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple