All reviewsyoga deckinfinity poolyoga classesother guestszip liningthe main housechef jeffcircus performancecosta ricawaterfall hikegluten freemagical placethe sun risehorseback ridingretreat centerlife changingevery morning
Reviewed 1 March 2015 via mobile

I fell in love with the website and felt compelled to go there even though it was a little bit out of my normal travel budget. Let me just say it is totally worth every penny. From the moment I got there it was completely blown away and in awe of how someone could create such a beautiful space. The staff is so welcoming and warm and the yoga is some of the best I have ever taken in my life. The food is super healthy and organic. It definitely reset my eating in the week.

• Stayed: February 2015
2  Thank AllisonYoga
Reviewed 22 February 2015

I just returned from a one-week yoga retreat at Anamaya and I feel like my body and soul have been found again! Our yoga instructor was a local woman named Silivia Ericksson who teaches yoga at the local Motezuma Yoga studio. If you are not lucky enough to have Siliva make sure you make it to town for a class with her. She is one of the best yoga instructors I've ver had. I am returning to New York with a new sense of balance and calm in my life that was directly because of her yoga practice this week.

Anamaya is a truly special place and if you are lucky enough to get there I promise you won't regret it. The staff is incredible. Gretel and Sol made our days and nights easy and seamless, the food was so healthy and wonderful and the spa staff worked on my muscles after yoga and surfing (laura was incredible at the spa!). I had also never tried surfing before and it was AMAZING! I wish I had tried it earlier in the week but now it just means that I will have to return to the Nicoya peninsula. Maybe even do the Anamaya teacher training!

Our group was also very special and from all over the world with stories and varying reasons for being there. Not only did I leave Anamaya with my body and mind at peace but also with new friends.

Book your trip here now. You will not regret it!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Ganesh room. As a solo traveler it was perfect. I had a queen sized bed and an open bathroom that looked out over the pacific. I also had my own hammock but it was on little balcony outside of my room so it was semi-private. I thought it was going to be part of my room but it was fine. I spent my mornings in the hammock watching the sunrise.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank Cari W
Reviewed 18 February 2015

I stayed at the resort in November and had a great time, the location, view and service is out of the world. We left relaxed and with a stronger yoga practice (our teacher, Lola was fab!). My only suggestion would be to do a survey before guests arrive to identify the level of yoga practice that they have and adapt the classes for that.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank RPAB2012
Reviewed 23 January 2015 via mobile

I stayed at Anamaya for a month for a Yoga Teacher Training. First off, the grounds and the views are great. But what really made the stay was the staff and their attention to detail. They listen to your needs and will adapt where feasible. They truly made the trip special!

Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 5 January 2015

I spent two weeks at Anamaya, and I loved everything about it. I have been to five other yoga retreats around the world, and Anamaya is my favorite. The location (both in nature and the facilities) is actually much prettier than all the beautiful photos. The food is gourmet (fresh, healthy, creatively presented) five times per day. The staff treats you like family in a very authentic way (e.g. remembering your name from Day 1; taking your personal preferences very seriously; etc). The views from both sleeping rooms in which we chose to stay, as well as from the main lodge, were out of a dream (great bed, bathroom, and stunning views). The sleeping rooms are well taken care of daily. The planned activities were really fun, and their scheduling was amazingly flexible. The only X factor is the quality of your workshop instructor and the participants, but both weeks we got excellent yoga teachers and met incredible people. If I understand correctly, Anamaya (the main lodge house) was originally built as a (large) private home and later expanded to a retreat center. I definitely felt that I was in someone's home the whole time (in the best way possible). The staff deserve special mention: Grettel, Laura, Manijay, Alberto, Natalie, Kim, Valerie and so many others made our stay absolutely homey. As one example, I told the them that I cannot *stand* cilantro (a very popular thing in CR), and I don't eat dairy; other participants had other food sensitivities (gluten, sugar, etc). Somehow, they produced tailored gourmet meals every time, never once missing a single preference of any of the 30 participants. Amazing. As another example, the manager also taught salsa, and he performed with the head chef, whom we learned was not just a world-class chef, but also a great salsa dancer! Grettel, Laura, and Manijay were always available and smiling, answering our questions around the clock, and gave us the most touching hugs upon our departure. The interns, Valerie and Kim, were also omni-available and clearly with us because they love Anamaya. Anamaya is seriously paradise. I will remember Anamaya as a charmed haven for the rest of my life, though I hope to return as soon as possible!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lotus and the Hanuman. The Lotus was the closest to the main lodge, so great for accessibility and quick clothing changes. We could hear pool conversations from our room, which wasn't a problem bc we were not often in our room, and Anamaya has a quiet policy at 9 pm. The second week, we stayed in the Hanuman, which is one of the furthest rooms (57 stairs downhill) from the main lodge (but nearest the lower-level yoga studio), so perhaps quieter (but both rooms were quiet). Both rooms had dreamy views of the ocean and sunrise.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple