Hotel Malinche
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Pacific Paradise Resort(Quepos)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$50
US$93
US$85
Serenity Boutique Hotel Quepos(Quepos)(Great Value!)
US$65
  • Breakfast included
US$59
La Foresta Nature Resort(Quepos)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$85
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The air condition did not functioning, smelled mold in the room and an old carpet on the floor. We payed for two nights and checked out after one. Price for two nights was $ 120, but the owner of the hotel would not pay back $ 60. No breakfast and no sitting area at the outside. When we complained about the room, everyone speak english was gone.

Feb 23, 2014, T&B, Norway

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I want to say first that the staff was very nice and my room was as clean as it could be given the age of the hotel but the carpet was kind of icky. Needs major updating even for budget accommodations (someone in my group thought some hostels were way nicer). Had ants in the bathroom and a couple in the bed - not really a deal breaker for me, just like camping. Water pressure is non-existent if a lot of people shower at the same time but otherwise the shower is great.

Mattress in my room was new and firm and I would have slept well but the music from the brand new bar across the street was so loud. Had I not had earplugs it would have been impossible to sleep at all but i could still hear the music through the earplugs. It's not the hotel's fault but the noise factor is worth one full point on the rating scale and that's why it's a 2 instead of a 3.

The locks on the doors were ridiculous - push button from the inside and the safe did not work. My stuff was fine though.

The upside is that the restaurant next door is fantastic and there are lots of ATM's nearby. If you're looking to party there's a bar across the street. The bus station is a short walk. No breakfast but the Massmani bakery is 3 blocks away.

Frankly I would spend a little more and stay in a budget hotel in Manuel Antonio. At least it would be closer to the beach.

Room Tip: 2nd floor provides more security but there's no escape from the bar noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a tour so unsure of the rate. But even if it is cheap probably better options for $20 more.

Major drawback is this is located opposite an open air bar that blasts music till after 1am. So not for those that want quiet but ok if you plan to party anyway. Room was tired and worn. Saggy mattress and noticed ants crawling on the bed in the morning. Carpet very old. Positives: cable tv, central location and shower worked fine.

Budget option if need place for 1 night but bring ear plugs!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We had a good time staying here. It's close to all bars and places to eat shops etc. The rooms are comfortable and we had a small kitchen in our room. The area is a bit dodgy but we didn't really feel unsafe at anytime. Some of the staff speak English. All in all a reasonably pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years. I like it for its central location and secure parking area. It is located just up from the Banco Nacional in the direction of the ocean. Many restaurants and bars are located with a couple blocks, as well as a casino.

There are two types of rooms available: AC and TV; fan only, no TV. I have stayed in both but this last trip I chose the AC and TV ($35 v. $25 for the fan only). I have stayed in this room before and I have to say the mattress is getting a little saggy - it should be flipped or replaced. Everything else was just fine.

The parking area is secure - you can drive in (careful of the dip)and the gate is closed at night, plus there is a guard. It's tight if there are more than four cars, but it works.

I have always enjoyed the desk clerks here; they are always pleasant and chatty. There is free coffee in the morning in the lobby - a small perk I appreciate, so to speak.

I will continue to stay at the Malinche, but I might ask for a better mattress next time.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo