All reviewsblue monkeythe ownermanuel antoniocosta ricathe busnational parkcevichetiti monkeyshis wifedowntown quepospollopaigepoolswildlifesmoothiesacadventure
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Pizza decent but Casado, burger, and california burrito not good. If we wanted service we had to go to the door to the kitchen. By the time we found a server to see if we could have my son's burger cooked more, the rest of us were half done our meals. Owner or manager was argumentative about it. Bloody burger good for some I guess.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2018

I spent 3 nights here and the staff and owners were so kind and helpful. The rooms aren't fancy, but are clean and the beds are comfy, AC works perfect!. The 2 pools are lovely and fun to relax at. The restaurant is yummy - try the veggie burger:) Good location - The restaurants, bars and the beach are all a cheap bus ride away.
But what sets this hotel apart are the owners. They give everyone individual attention and work really hard to give you whatever you need during your stay. I was meeting up with my family and not only did they give me continued access to my room after check out, they secured my luggage and treated me like family.
Overall, great stay and highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
HotelMonoAzul, Owner at Hotel Mono Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

It was great having you stay with us. Come again!

Reviewed 24 July 2018

We decided to stay a couple nights at Hotel Mono Azul on the suggestion of another travelling family we'd met in Manuel Antonio.

They told us how great their stay was and how every day there were macaws, toucans, monkeys, etc. that could be found right on the hotel's grounds. They made it sound as if the property was like an open-air zoo.

Sadly we didn't see near as many animals as we were expecting, but our stay was good nonetheless.

We arrived without a reservation and the owners got us into a room right away. The room was spacious, the beds were comfortable and the air conditioning worked nicely. The furnishings were very basic but the small covered patio outside of our room was great for sitting and working.

The owners and staff were really really friendly and helpful. I can't say enough good about them.

The restaurant was ok but none of us were overly impressed by the food. The restaurant prices, like everywhere in the Manuel Antonio area, were fairly high for the value received...in my opinion. I did like the free coffee and water available all day though.

The grounds are nice with 2 pools to swim in, a couple nice sitting areas and a billiards table. The buildings are showing signs of wear with paint peeling and eavestroughs falling off.

The wifi was pretty good although I opted to use the data on my phone most of the time.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
HotelMonoAzul, Owner at Hotel Mono Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2018

Randy,

Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Mono Azul.

We love our wildlife but as is to be expected, they operate on their own time schedule. Sometimes we have sloths, 3 types of monkeys, macaws and toucans all in the same day. Other times we only get a gecko or frog. Luckily it isn't much of a hardship to spend the day by the pool looking for them.

We are still working on updates and upgrades so appreciate your comments about items we need to move to the top of the list.

Manuel Antonio tends to be one of the most expensive areas to visit in Costa Rica. The prices are a surprise to many people. We strive to deliver a quality menu that is desirable to tourists at a lower than typical price for Manuel Antonio.

We would love to have you return. Maybe you will be here on an animal heavy day next visit.

Reviewed 20 July 2018

Mono Azul restaurant is like that cozy and comfortable neighborhood bar except is has monkeys and parrots fiddling around outside instead of your local riff-raff.

If you want some good tacos, beer or strawberry daiquiris along with some highly entertaining yet low-key hospitality, I highly recommend Mono Azul.

I haven’t stayed there before, but every time, I stop by I am never disappointed. It’s nice, affordable, and unlike more expensive options, it really does have more animals than people. Red parrots, titi monkeys and other what-not hang out everyday.

In any case, I am kind of snobby about where I stay, but I just may stay here next time. The grounds are beautiful, full of animals, its centrally located, and you can rent golf carts to get around. Plus the service and hospitality from John, Paige and their crew really does make you feel like you are at home.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the most wildlife viewing.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
HotelMonoAzul, Owner at Hotel Mono Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2018

Tiffeny,

We would love to have you stay at Hotel Mono Azul! But definitely keep coming to visit us at the restaurant. We love our guests almost as much as our animal visitors. ;-)

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

Our 4-night stay at Mono Azul was relaxed and quiet. It’s a family-friendly hotel with 2 pools, tasty food and a full bar-try their excellent pizza! Beautifully landscaped grounds. Paige and John are wonderful hosts and a wealth of good humor. They know a lot about the area. Mono lives up to its name, because we saw both squirrel and capuchin monkeys that frequently visit the treetops. Also, we saw macaws and a toucan. Great stay!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
HotelMonoAzul, Owner at Hotel Mono Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2018

Thank you! It was great to have you here. Please come again.