See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 August 2014

During our road trip through Costa Rica we wanted to stay overnight in Quepos and head to Mnauel Antonio national park in the morning. We arrived late in Quepos and checked out some hotels. As we were just spending the night we were looking for something inexpensive. An older gentleman welcomed us at Hotel Mar Y Luna. He was so friendly, and it’s always a good choice to spend your money with locals. Not sure if he speaks English, as we communicated in Spanish. We got a cute little room, with ensuite bathroom, fan and airco. There was also a tv and a hot shower. But mention worthy, this was the only place in costa rica where they had normal double layered toilet paper :-D Wifi was also free. There is someone at the reception 24h, and we parked our car in front of the hotel on the street where the night guard kept a look on it (which was very kind). There is little communal balcony where you can relax. Breakfast was not included but as the hotel has a good location just go and have breakfast somewhere or pass by a panaderia to get some pastries for on the road. We payed 30USD for the room, but cheaper ones with only fan are available. Price/Quality this was a good place to stay overnight.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I've read some bad reviews about this place but I have to disagree with them. I stayed here 2 nights on a solo trip while backpacking all over the country. It is budget accomidation so don't go here expecting The Hilton, but if you are just looking for a good place to get a nights sleep, Mar y Luna is not bad at all. I especially liked the balcony they have. It was right down the hall from my room. Great place to have a few beers and people watch!! The owner was also very friendly with me and went out of his way to make me feel welcome!! Pura Vida!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 2 July 2013

If we had a little more time to find housing, we are not at that did not stay in this awful place. The hotel owner is able to sell you a room, but after he left home staff is on you do not care. Stipulated hot water does not appear, requests are not fulfilled. Inside, everything remains as it was 30 years ago when, I think, the hotel appeared a pile of debris in the lobby, too, speaks volumes. Chewing condoms!

Room Tip: Look closely at the hotel across the road, or perhaps to the hotel with a casino on the waterfront.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I just spent 10 wonderful days and the Hotel Mary Luna and could not have been happier. Having blown a bunch of money at another local hotel for 5 days, I decided to look around a bit for something descent where I could save some cash since the restraurants in Quepos are very expensive in general. i could not have been more pleased with the hotel or the service. I needed a place to sleep, do some work on the computer, and shower. The rooms are basic, but that is all I needed or wanted. The wanted to clean my room, but I declined as it was not necessary. The family/owners treated me like a king and went out of their way to help me at every turn. Laundry service was great and inexpensive too. As far a needing toilet paper as a post above suggested, what part of asking for it when needed do you not understand. I had no problem with theft and there was always someone watching my room for me and they even let me store some extra things is a secure room behind the reception desk.

I am a little suspicious about any review that would say that the staff was not courteous because I saw them interacting with clients for 10 days. I was treated like I was a member of the family! They helped me avoid making typical tourist mistakes and gave lots of good advice. No complaints from me.

Room Tip: I stayed upstairs in Room 38 and it was great. They even spontaneously brought in a TV, table, and more storage racks without me even asking since they knew that I was staying for 10 days. The AC and ceiling fan kept the room ice cold like I like it. No pool but not needed for me.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I lived in Costa Rica for a year, while traveling around we trusted our lonely planet book which lead us here.

After our first day out of the hotel we returned to find our laptop stolen, money, credit cards, everything of value. We are grateful to have left our passports in our apartment in Playa del Coco.

We highly suspect the family that owns it stole everything, a key was used to get in, and it is such a small establishment (only one other guest at the time) that it is hard to believe somebody broke in.

The owner was completely insensitive to our loss. He would not even refund us the remaining night we had pre payed when we insisted we would not stay there another night.

Pay the extra money to stay somewhere were the family owned hotel won't rob you blind!

• Stayed: August 2012