“Attractive Hotel”

Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 April 2015

We were part of the Caravan Tours group that stayed at this hotel for 2 nights.

The Intercontinental Hotel has a real nice huge lobby with a bar and someone playing piano. Our room was on the second floor not far from the elevators. In our room we could hear the piano being played in the evening in the lobby. We did find though by later in the evening our room was very quiet and did not hear any noise The room was good but I found the carpet made it look a little shabby. The beds were very comfortable for sleeping.The bathroom is quite small and the shower/tub is located right beside the door making it very inconvenient that you can’t open the door completely. The marble tub is also very deep so if you have mobility problems that could be an issue. There is a hair dryer. You do not need an adapter for electrical as their voltage is the same as North America. There is a mini bar fridge which we kept our own water and soft drinks in that we bought at the Auto Mercado grocery store in the Multiplaza shopping Centre across the street from the hotel. Just a note to get to the grocery store, go straight across parking lot of hotel, at fence you will see a gate. Just ring bell and hotel will buzz the gate open. Cross street but be careful as cars go fast. Just walk to your right, past people waiting at the bus stop where you will see a walkway to Multiplaza shopping Centre. Don’t go into the Multiplaza but just walk a short distance around the bend to your right and you will see the Auto Mercado grocery. You can get to the grocery inside the mall but if you ask anyone for directions I found no one can speak English. The hotel has free internet and also computers available. We found all staff very nice, pleasant and hospitable.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Donna K
Ricardo M, Gerente at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2015

Dear Donna, your nice comment about your recent stay in our property with the caravan group reflect the great hospitality culture that we foster in Costa Rica. We are pleased to learn that you have been sleeping comfortably in your bed and that our colleagues have been of pleasant and great service to you.

We are looking forward for your next visit.

Ricardo M.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,372)

Reviewed 4 April 2015

I stayed at the Intercontinental at the beginning and end of my Eco-Adventure this past March. I found the rooms to be spacious and very comfortable. The pools were beautiful and I did swim every day I was there. The gardens were also perfectly landscaped with many cool birds.The Market restaurant off the lobby was very good, The breakfast is incredible and I headed right for the far side of the breakfast bar which was the Costa Rican breakfast fare. I had the Tortilla soup twice it was so good!!! The salads are beautiful and filling. The dessert offerings looked delicious,too, but I did not try them.
While I did not go into the Multiplaza Mall across the street ( I can do that here) , I did go to the grocery store at the entrance and get a few snacks, a few beers and a little bottle of rum for my room ( much cheaper than the room minibar!). BUT, if you are so inclined, it is a short walk from the parking lot.
The staff were very helpful and friendly. I had reservation issues on both ends that were quickly resolved. The reception staff were awesome. They were also a great help for getting cabs etc. One day, I headed into the city ( San Jose) to do my own little walking tour. The driver was great and arranged to return to pick me up in 3 hours which was plenty of time. I had a great authentic lunch ( at his suggestion) - casada- which was a delicious black bean, rice, chicken, plantain mix on the plate. Great with an Imperial beer on a hot day!
The only thing I found missing was the fact that hotel information was not available in the rooms-( where is the ice machine, the spa, the hours of the pools etc etc) You could pick up the phone and call- they were very helpful, but I ;like to get the lay of the land where I stay and I missed this feature. ..as another reviewer said- remem,ber you have to use your key to make the elevator go up to your floor. A nice safety feature, but you do feel like an idiot the first time when you just stand there waiting:-) I would definitely stop here again.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo

Dear Tiger, thank you very much for such a nice review regarding your last beautiful experience at the InterContinental Hotel. We are happy that you had the chance to live and experience each part of this hotel such us our helpful staff, the delicious food from the restaurants and the great experience in San José downtown with the ‘casado’ which is fabulous.

We hope you soon will be back to enjoy more of Costa Rica. Pura Vida!

Reviewed 1 April 2015

This look of this InterContinental was as expected – stylish and beautiful. However, the service was not of the standard I have experienced in other InterContinentals. We stayed in the Executive Tower, and the various people we encountered on the desk were not particularly interested in their guests, and on occasion gave misinformation. There was an inconvenient error in arranging a transfer to the airport, where the desk staff and the doorman gave different information, and there ended up being two transfers arranged and too much money charged to the room. It took over an hour the evening before the transfer to sort the mess out. The person on the desk ended up removing the charge from the room account, but did not inform the second driver that the transfer had been cancelled.

Our experiences with the Club Lounge in other InterContinentals were also superior to this one. The team in this lounge was not particularly interested in serving us and their demeanour was quite dour. On the second night of our stay they informed us that we were allowed one complimentary drink per person at happy hour, unlike the unlimited number we had encountered elsewhere.

We have stayed at much better InterContinentals.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
Ricardo M, Gerente at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2015

Dear Guest, we feel really sorry for the inconveniences you experienced in your last stay . It’s a pity that we could not meet your expectations at the club tower that usually finds great acceptance among our dear guests. We appreciate your feedback however that helps us to improve our services. We will take the necessary actions to change this unusual kind of service so that our service excellence will not be jeopardized once more.

We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continuously chose Intercontinental Hotels for your future traveling.

Reviewed 31 March 2015

I stayed here as "the" business hotel destination many times 10 years ago. It has been vastly improved with. Anew executive class building which is where I stayed with family on layover back to Canada... slow front desk check in. room rate was 330$ USD which is top flight here in SJ.. it is very swanky for sure. But service needs to come way way up. Pool, spa, meeting rooms all awesome - prices out of this world for meals.. 14oz NY Angus beef was $110 USD. Exec floor lounge and service was well done. We were pleased there and was good family option. Other than tha, proximity to the mall the only other saving grace for this place.. and it's why I came with family.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family

Dear Tristan, your feedback is really important for us. Thank you for your note that we have been working on in order to improve the hotel facilities for the benefit of our dear customers. We definitely need to grow in every way to provide unique and outstanding service in each area of the hotel. Your impressions about the pricing have been shared with our F&B team in order to improve the quantity/price ratio.

We are looking forward to hopefully meeting you soon again here at the InterContinental Hotel in San José.

Reviewed 30 March 2015 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for two night, it was a very nice hotel. One thing I have to say is that despite all that is going on downstairs in the lobby, my room at night when I slept was very quite. The hotel is in a nice location located next to a shopping mall. The mall is very big and contains high end stores. The hotel itself has a gift shop inside along with three restaurants and two bars. There is also a spa on site if your interested. The pool area is very nice as well. I hope your enjoy your stay. Just one heads up, in order to get the elevator to work you must put your room key in to make it work. If there are multiple people in the elevator each person must do the same for different floors.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo

Dear Guest, thank you very much for share your nice comment about your recent visit to the Real Intercontinental Hotel. We are glad to know that you had a wonderful experience in our property, also thank you for all the tips for the travelers that you left at this review.

We hope you will be back soon.

Ricardo M.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
5.1 km away
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
2.7 km away
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu
0.9 km away
Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Escazu

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!