See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

We had booked a standard room with a queen bed and got upgraded to a much bigger room without additionnal charge. They have very modern decorations in the room, which makes it very unique. They have parking on site (very limited although, so make sure to resquest it during your reservation). The room was clean except for a few ants in the bathroom and in one of the beds (that we didn’t sleep on). The bathroom was spacious and had hot water. The staff was very helpfull as well. Our room had a nice view of San Jose. The breakfast was served from 7:30 to 9:30 and was great! We had 3 options from the menu (rice and eggs, pancakes and eggs or fruit smoothie). I strongly recommend!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Hotel-Out-of-Bounds, Front Office Manager at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Good afternoon Alesia
Best regards

Reviewed 2 July 2017

Stayed here over the past weekend. The property is much bigger inside then it appears to be from the outside. The lobby has a sitting area and there is a large function room that serves as a breakfast area. The rooms are small, cozy, and have fans and TV. The bathroom was large and had hot water. There is not much road noise. Breakfast was just ok, I think the Gallo Pinto was left over from the previous day. All in all, I recommend this place for the value, location, and safety.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Good afternoon Malolo
Best regards,

Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

We stayed twice in this hotel within a short period of time. The rooms are spacious and clean, with good beds, and nice views over the San Jose valley. The receptionist, Fernando, was very kind and helpful. The place is a bit hard to find as from the outside it is not well announced that it is a hotel. It is on the main old road to Santa Ana, and especially the trucks coming down hill make a lot of noice breaking their speed, also at night. The breakfast is included, but is rather simple. Wifi is free, but not always working properly. Notwithstanding the criticism we felt at ease at this place and can recommend it.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Hotel-Out-of-Bounds, Front Office Manager at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Good afternoon Maartenr
Best regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2017

I've been coming to Out of Bounds Boutique Hotel for YEARS. More times than I have actually reviewed it in fact. This was my first time visiting the hotel since Meranda and Matteo sold their hotel and business. And gotta be honest... the experience here is not the same.. The hotel is basically the same...rooms are the same, amenities are basically the same, but the warmth and charm isn't there anymore.

The breakfast area has been moved to what used to be the living room in M&M's on-site house. This is nice because it provides more space, however I miss the views from the 2nd floor seating area. They have also done away with the glass of juice in the morning...If you want a cold drink in the morning, all they have available is water.

The website has not been updated AT ALL since M&M sold the business. Its been around 2 years...time to update that! The room costs are about the same, and the rooms look about the same too. There is definitely some updating/remodeling that needs to happen though...the rooms are starting to look a bit shabby. There was mold on the ceiling of my bathroom, the shower controls were broken which made taking a shower a bit dicey, and mosquitoes were getting in through the cracks in the door (not great if you are worried about ZIKA). In our room, what I call the "mini-kitchen room", which has utensils, bowls, glasses and a mini-cooktop...they replaced the decent size mini-fridge with a much tinier mini-fridge. It rather ruins the point of having a room you can cook your own food in,if the fridge is so small that you can't store more than a little bit of food at a time. Beds are still comfy. Breakfast is still good. But the hotel looks a bit faded, and a bit more run-down than it did in previous years. The signs outside the hotel are completely faded....our taxi driver had a rather hard time finding the hotel...if we hadn't told him where exactly it was or if it had been nighttime, he wouldn't have seen it.

I think the biggest thing lacking though was the lack of warmth from the owners/front desk people. The front desk person who checked us in was cold and perfunctory. No "Hello, welcome to our hotel", just "fill out these forms". He helped us to our room and then we didn't see him until it was time to check out. Also, office hours appear to be very limited, despite what is posted. Twice we went looking for an on-site manager, and never saw a soul. Rang the doorbell twice, and no one answered. So not sure if there is an on-site manager at all times or not. I also sent them an email requesting availability on rooms, and never received a response back. I ended up booking through Expedia, I think, just to guarantee I'd get a room.

So overall the experience was just ok. I think I'll be looking for a different place to stay on my next visit, which saddens me because Out of Bounds was my home away from home when I was in San Jose/Escazu. I think this has definitely slipped from a "boutique hotel" B&B experience, to just a small hotel that provides a breakfast in the morning. Its still an ok hotel, but its not as fantastic as it used to be in years past.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kiki_19
Reviewed 28 June 2016

There are only 5 rooms here but the views are incredible from the deck and the rooms have fans and AC if needed. But at 4000 ft the weather is moderate. We never used the AC in June and had light blankets at night.
A good breakfast is included, and Lorrena the cook and housekeeper is wonderful.
The bus stop is right next to the hotel and taxis are redily available.

Room Tip: All room choices, some with kitchen
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank kamani74
Hotel-Out-of-Bounds, Manager at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2017

Hello Kamani74, thank you for your nice review. Is our pleasure having guests like you!

Regards,