“Great ceviche”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2017

I have eaten at Chancay twice in the last two weeks and hope to get in at least one more visit. I had the shrimp and fish ceviche on both occasions and each was very good. My main course was sea bass both times--with one being excellent and the other good, but a bit chewy. There is a nice selection of house wine and very friendly service.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

We had a visit of a friend from Mexico, but he is originally from Peru, thus he requested to try a local Peruvian restaurant to compair with the other countries. We ordered different dishes to please our friend, so we tried octupus, rice, Guancaina potatoes, etc. All were according to our expectations and our friend rated the restaurant as one of the best he had visited in Peru, Mexico and other countries.

Reviewed 18 April 2017

We had dined here two or three years ago when we met a friend who was
staying at the Marriott Courtyard and she asked us to meet her for lunch.
Her background was actually Peruvian and I frankly did not know a thing
in terms of what I would like or dislike but she talked me into the well-known
Potato dish stuffed with all kinds of goodies and I was so anxious to try it
again as soon as possible. But meantime, no where I tried it - including
restaurants in our home town in South Florida, it was always a bit disappointing.
So now we live permanently in Santa Ana Costa Rica and just spent a week
over at the Marriott Courtyard and the first day, taking a walk to check out the
nearby dining places, we realized how very close we were to Chancay, the
same restaurant where we had lunch with that friend a few years ago - so of
course we just couldn't wait to go back. So on Night No. 2, we came down from
our hotel and had dinner at your fabulous restaurant.

Not only was my dish even better than I remembered but my husband who is
"Mr. Picky" when it comes to dining just about anywhere, the waiter recommended
a dish to him, which was a combination of a special kind of Rice, and some
fabulous veggies, a special sauce, and "Mr. Picky" who only likes to dine out on
Chinese Food said it reminded him of some of his most favorites in the Chinese
World only and I'm quoting him now..."Only ten times better!"

So not only was the food delicious but we loved the selection of fine wines, and
the wonderful personal service from everyone who attended us. And now that
we live fairly close by, over here in Santa Ana, you can be sure you will see us
again and again, in the near future.

1  Thank Jinglegirl
Reviewed 17 April 2017

Following a recommendation from a friend, I visited Chancay together with my family. FYI, I lived in Perú for six years and went to Chancay with high expectations. As a starter I shared anticuchos with my wife. The consistence was as expected, but the flavor was softened, probably to meet local taste, not as spicy as the original. The same happened with my main dish, the 'ají de galina', which had the taste, but not the intensity as the Peruvian original. My daughter had a good salad and my son an wife both had 'arroz chaufa', which was good, but could have more taste (sesame oil), to come close to the original. Next time I want to have Peruvian food, I will look for other options in San José, as there are plenty, but for audience looking for a softened version of the original, it might be a good option.

1  Thank AndreasSonka
Reviewed 19 March 2017

Let me begin by saying, Peruvian is one of my favorites. I have been in Lima and surrounding areas( Mira Flores & San Isidro) several times,the food there is amazing!! Knowing that this is Costa Rica and that it would not be the same as actually being in Peru, I tried to be fair. The Pisco sour was good and the Ceviche was great. The Aji de Gallina was not not what I was expecting. Had I not had it before then it would have been good, unfortunately I was disappointed.