“Incredible”

Price range: US$10 - US$100
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Please read important reservation information on our website before making your booking. Thank you.
Reviewed 9 March 2018

So my wife and I tried to visit this restaurant on two occasions and unfortunately they were closed. Anyway we passed today on route to taking my parents to the airport and it was open.

We parked up with a great chap outside helping with the parking and proceeded into the restaurant. We were greeted by the lady who owns the antiques shop the restaurant is based in - couldn't have a nicer welcome she was very bubbly and enthusiastic and ever so welcoming. The menu was explained to us and orders taken.

Then the food arrived.... Ive been living in Costa Rica for a year now and this is the best food I have tasted here. We had a number of the "tapas" style plates and they were all brilliant. Honestly you cannot say a bad word about the food it was great and better than anything else you will find in Costa Rica.

Other notes - I went with the knowledge that the chef was British (as am I) though I must confess my expectations of a cafe are a little different to what I found. This is far beyond a cafe in every way.

My dad eats a lot of pate - and he has eaten it in a lot of restaurants around the world exclaimed - this is incredible, best ever.

The main waiter is such a nice guy - speaks almost perfect English though I must confess I don't believe he learnt it in 6 months as he claimed :-)

If you are fussy (as I am) the evening meal might be difficult as it is a set one - but you will find plenty at lunch time.

The restaurant is in the most incredible shop - so be warned if you go with your wife, my only saving grace was our car was full of my parents bags so she couldn't buy anything.

In summary if you are in San Jose you have to visit this place.- you will not find better food in this country. The venue is incredible and the people working there cannot be more welcoming. It is small so I would really recommend booking though.

Zarathustra_10, Owner at Park Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Dear Peter. Thank you so much for the visit and bringing your parents here. So happy you enjoyed yourselves. Hope to see you again soon. By the way, the tapas menu is alsp available at dinner as well as the menu degustation. Best wishes. Richard, Louise, Ricardo, et al.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Our last night in Costa Rica, so we pre booked as required directly with the restaurant a few days before and headed to Park Cafe and was not disappointed. It was an amazing experience in a really gorgeous setting. When we initially arrived, Chef Richard greeted us warmly and showed us to our table. All around us were treasures from around the world , true objects d'art collected by Louise on her various travels.
We like our food and eat out in hometown London often, so we were blown away by the first class quality & presentation of food and explosion of taste that Richard serves in Costa Rica. He is a tremedous chef who takes pride in every morsel he personally serves.
We opted for the tasting menu, where some courses served are different so plates can be shared. They were delicious.
We are so glad we didn't miss dining at this restaurant and will definitely love to return whenever we get back to Costa Rica.

Zarathustra_10, Owner at Park Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Dear Sue and Philip. Thank you so much for your kindness, as it was a pleasure having you with us. Also really happy that you enjoyed the whole CR experience as the country deserves its popularity as an exceptional holiday destination. Kind regards. Richard, Louise and Ricardo

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Every time I go to Park Cafe it an out of country experience. You forget where you are with the beautiful status furniture and location. It’s like countries blend. This top with amazing food and an attention for details, flavours and service, that you can only hope dinner never ends.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Zarathustra_10, Owner at Park Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Really too kind. Give me a clue?

Reviewed 3 March 2018

simply the best value ,quality, ambiance, and hospitality, close for september to october i think , open to lunch form tuesday to saturday

Reviewed 25 February 2018

My husband and I were in Costa Rica for the first time and on the recommendation of friends booked a table to experience the Park Café on our last night in the country.
Firstly I should say that unlike most of the negative reviews posted, we had no problems in reserving and confirming our table in accordance with the information on the website. On the night of our booking, our hotel then made a mistake in ordering our taxi and having phoned the restaurant to say we would get there as soon as possible we finally arrived half an hour late only to be warmly greeted at the door by Richard and Louise who said no apologies were necessary.
Having settled at our table in the most unique setting, surrounded by antiques and plants, we experienced the tasting menu and accompanying wine flight. The food was as good as any we have eaten and the choice of wines matched the dishes perfectly. Course after course wowed the senses with different combinations of flavours and textures and the presentation of them all was a treat for the eyes.
Service and hospitality throughout was impeccable, polite and efficient at all times without being over the top, unlike some supposedly high end restaurants.
At the end of the meal Richard chatted at length to us about our holiday and experiences in Costa Rica in a very friendly, charming and hospitable manner. We were certainly sorry that the whole delightful experience came to an end all too soon, as we had to leave earlier than we would have liked due to a very early morning flight the next day.
Costa Rica is a must do destination for anyone with a bucket list and ensure you experience a meal at the Park Café to top it off. We hope to be back

Zarathustra_10, Owner at Park Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Dear Teresa and Joe. Thank you for your visit, company and review. Always a pleasure to have people such as yourselves at home with us in Park Cafe. Best wishes. Richard, Ricardo and Louise