“Absolutely Delish!”

Moksha Indian Restaurant
Ranked #82 of 740 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$30 - US$60
Description: Lovely ambbience with great taste of traditional idian cusine. our menu covers major parts of india. taste with traditional preperation
Reviewed 29 November 2017

Having lived on the east coast of Costa Rica for 1.5yrs, I must say that our meal at Moksha was one of the best meals we've ever had in Costa Rica! Started off with a mango lassi, which was perfect on a hot day. We then had the lamb rogan josh & butter chicken. Both dishes were extremely flavourful, with both the meat and chicken cooked to perfection. Butter naan, basmati rice & raita were perfect accompaniments. Prices are very reasonable & would highly recommend to all travellers & locals alike.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

We had the Bhajis and the Samosas to start, and the lamb rogan josh and a chicken dish I can't remember the name of as mains, with rock salt and coriander naan and two soft drinks.

It cost 23,000 colons (£30) including a tip. From what I have read about other curry venues in San Jose, this is quite cheap and this place does not warrant its $$$$ rating here - more like $$-$$$ in reality.

The Bhajis were excellent - home made fresh with fried spinach and the usual onions with some other veggies.

Somosas were packed with potato and other veggies and the outer pastry was really good. Clearly homemade and cooked fresh, big too and with tasty spicy sauces to dip in.

Chicken main (first one on the menu in the chicken section) comes with a tomato and cream sauce that was different from typical British Indian curry sauces, but very tasty. It had some herbs and spices in it. We asked for it medium hot but you can get it how you like as everything is made fresh. Chicken was chunky, juicy and fresh, again, a nice contrast to some curry houses where the meat seems pre-prepared/marinaded.

Lamb rogan josh was not like a typical rogan josh from a British curry house - the sauce was darker and it did not have vegetables in the sauce. We got this one spicy and it was hot - approaching a UK madras. Generous amounts of succulent lamb.

All mains come with a salad pot - it looks nice and is full of well prepared fresh salad. A nice touch as the mains do not typically come with veggies in the sauce. You also get rice.

We ordered a rock salt and coriander naan, as this was a new one for me. It was lovely (I love salt and coriander).

All in all, the meal was big and the flavours were excellent, sometimes giving us exactly at we wanted based on our love of British Indian curry, and sometimes something new but always really good.

We were served by the man who I think was also the owner and did some cooking too. I didn't get his name but he was super-friendly and generally excellent.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Just a few blocks from Sabana Park and the art museum, Moksha is a relatively new restaurant that my friends and I decided to try for lunch. We ordered two different lamb dishes (rogan josh and one with yogurt and mint) and both were delicious. We also ordered a few different naan, which were light and crispy -- our favorite was the salt/cilantro -- the potato and the plain were a little on the "plain" side. It may be a few more months before they start serving wine, but they did have beer. Service was good and quick. The rice that came with the meal was a little on the skimpy side -- we all ended up finishing the sauce from our entrees like soup -- probably if we'd asked they'd have given us more -- but really -- it's rice. The big disappointment was the water. Tasted like chlorine. If they have a problem with water, they should probably stock bottled. Despite these tiny quirks, we will definitely return -- maybe add the fifth star next time!

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Perhaps I arrived with high expectations based on the reviews here but I was very disappointed. Chana masala felt like it was made of just a can of tomato puree, chickpeas and 2 or 3 spices. Without the chickpeas it could be a spaghetti sauce. Dal tadka had a bland flavor too, the lentils were not cooked properly either. The rice had a noticeable flavor of a dirty pan (it might be an authentic feature :)) So far it's the weakest Indian food in Costa Rica (the one in Lindora being the best and the one in Escazu was also much better). Sad that it's just about 25% cheaper than the good ones yet the experience is so low that it still doesn't worth the price. Don't even expect sugar-coated fennel seeds. I'll rather ask my wife to cook Indian food for me :) The only pro at this place is that the waiter was friendly and smiled a lot :)

1  Thank Zsoltee
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

After seeing the reviews we decided to try out this restaurant as we were in need of some Indian food. The place was walking distance from our hotel and got there in 9 minutes from Park Inn. The chef/owner came out and introduced himself as Pankaj Rawat and explained some of the dishes. Ordered Chicken tikka and other starters and boy were they so delicious especially Chicken tikka. The main courses were also fabulous and finished off with Walnut and safron kulfi which was sublime. Th food was well served and at times you thought you were in a Michelin star restaurant. I would eat here always whenever I am in San Jose. Pankaj Rawat is one of those rare jewel you find and wish you could eat his food always. Pura Visa...