“was a great referal”

Cuisines: Costa Rican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2017

This was the only place we ate in San Jose that we didn't order at a counter. We didn't eat any where really fancy on our trip. This place was suggested to us by a person at Galeria Namu. This was a welcome destination after walking around in the humid weather. It was nice to be sitting down in a space where the air was cool and to be waited on. My friend was tired of beans and rice so he ordered a ham sandwich, and a papaya shake. I wanted something refreshing so I went with a local beer and ceviche. We split a salad that had heart of palm and shrimp. Everything thing was fresh and the service was friendly. We hung out a little while waiting out a rainstorm.

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

We were staying at the Hotel Santo aromas, which I would recommend to anyone who wants to get away from the chaos in central San Jose. This restaurant was recommended by the staff at the hotel, which normally raises red flags for me, but it turned out to be a great place for dinner which we returned to the following night. (It didn't hurt for me to have the Cards/Giants game on ESPN softly in the corner)

Reviewed 1 June 2017

I found in this restaurant a bigger variety of local dishes than in other parts of Costa Rica. They also have a good number of local and imported beer and wine. Not super fancy but I'm surely going back if I return to San José one day.

Reviewed 21 May 2017

Nondescript place in downtown SJ. We were seated right away, served with a smile and took the suggestions of the waitress. Their menu special offered variety (I had a beef dish, very tender & tasty and my friend had chicken), and also included a beverage, soup, main dish came with beans, rice, salad, veggie, so much food...then there was a simple dessert. The two of us ate abundant meals for about $15 total. There were many locals dining here at the same time. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

I ate at La Criolitta twice (breakfast and lunch), both experiences excellent. The price was right--the portions massive--the quality of the food exceptional. Breakfast consisted of melt in your mouth steak and eggs (rice & beans--coffee, juice...). Lunch was sea bass in garlic sauce with salad, veggies, soup, toast and french fries.
The ambiance is over-the-top, the place filled with locals (my driver actually provided me the tip and it was only a short block away from the Hotel Santo Tomas, which made it quite convenient).