Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
TripadvisorUS$169
Orbitz.com
Hotels.comUS$169
travelup.com
Booking.comUS$179
Lol.travelUS$216
All reviews fifth floor chef antonio costa rica frosted glass corner suite national theatre heart of san jose beautiful hotel free happy hour concierge desk central market diamond member gold museum excellent location junior suite breakfast buffet place to stay
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 November 2021

The room, service, and facilities at this hotel are great. Everything you'd expect from a higher end business class hotel. The reason I chose this hotel is for its location. Almost all the major landmarks, spots, and museums in San Jose are within walking distance of this hotel.

The hotel is renovated in the interior. The modern interior was a little disappointing to me given the historic exterior, but this was a minor item for me. Overall, I highly recommend this hotel if you're visiting San Jose for a few days.

Date of stay: September 2021
Johanna Rodriguez, Ventas at Gran hotel Costa Rica Curio a Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2021

Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying at Gran Hotel Costa Rica Curio by Hilton and for your nice comments. We are very happy to know that you found great facilities, excellent location and appreciate your recommendation. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 November 2021

Costa Rica is one of the best places to every visit in a lifetime. Make sure to stay at the Gran Hotel as it is in the heart of everything. Great experience. Food is amazing and the air is clean and crisp.

Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton
Johanna Rodriguez, Ventas at Gran hotel Costa Rica Curio a Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2021

Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying at Gran Hotel Costa Rica Curio by Hilton and for your nice comments. We are very happy to know that our hotel is one of the best places to visit and that you had a great experience. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 November 2021

I decided to come to San Jose for minor dermatology work, the savings funded five days in San Jose. It's a long time for San Jose, but if you are going to be stuck anywhere in San Jose, Gran Hotel is the right place.

I am a Diamond level Hilton and the hotel provided a very generous bonus upgrade which was thoroughly enjoyed and utilized, it really made my stay. The corner suite I had overlooked Teatro Nacional across the pedestrian walkway from the hotel. The room was in fabulous condition with a comfortable sitting area for 4 and a table with chairs where I enjoyed room service one night. The bed was incredible, everything about it perfect, I should be so lucky as to be in this bed again. This was equal to the Conrad beds I have enjoyed, I loved the linens too. The bathroom was stone or un-polished marble with frosted glass to help keep natural light reaching into this old building. The privacy issues I have read in other reviews will be an issue depending on who is sharing each room and your cultural norms. But everything about the minimalist bathroom was wonderful, water pressure and temp, lighting, etc.

Housekeeping were ninjas, they were fast and quiet and good. I think I saw a cart twice. Occupancy I assume was low, regardless, very high delivery of service.

Check-in etc - You pull into the circular drive, ignore the sandwich shop, and essentially you and your bags are whisked to the top of the building, the fifth floor. This is the heart of the restored building, essentially a modern cap atop a modernized old frame. You check in, there is a bar, restaurant, lobby area, business center and gift shop. You go back down to lower floors with the very efficient high security elevators. Hopefully the sandwich shop can be converted into a Curio run venue and the outdoor space will attract even more people.

Breakfast was included for me, and I availed the full breakfast daily. Made to order eggs, choices of juices, fresh cut fruits, cold cuts and cheese, scrambled eggs (skip for just made) sausages and bacon, potatoes and/or plantains, a Peruvian inspired meat dish and a vegetable, waffles, toast, breads, sweets, it is all there. Although I found plenty of tasty things to eat, overall I would rate breakfast a low point because much of the offerings could have been better (low occupancy, slow turnover may have contributed). Dinner from room service was delicious. Staff was attentive in spite of the self service nature of breakfast.

The Valet/Bell and Front Office staff were excellent Everyone spoke English making things really easy for me. I got shopping tips, weather advice, a 4am car to the airport because I had to have things very reliable, whatever was needed, a helpful hand or voice was there to guide as needed. Pride and a positive work culture were the impression given to me, It's the kind of place you want to stay.

I would happily stay here again, I guess I could come for some more mole removals. If you are in the area, this is a wonderful property, building, people, rooms and amenities. You can walk to the top sites easily, shopping is behind the hotel as are convenience stores. And don't forget the superlative beds!

Room tip: Some rooms are interior with no window. Understand what you are buying. walk to Oro, Jade, Nacional, shopping, mercado....
Date of stay: October 2021
Johanna Rodriguez, Ventas at Gran hotel Costa Rica Curio a Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2021

Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying at Gran Hotel Costa Rica Curio by Hilton and for your nice comments. We are very happy to know that you found excellent staff, delicious dinner and superlative beds. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 12 November 2021

My husband and I chose this hotel for our first two nights in San Jose before leaving for the rest of our vacation in Costa Rica. From the moment of our arrival we were treated to impeccable service with warmth and friendliness. Covid protocols are in place throughout the property and we felt very safe staying here. Due to Hilton Diamond status we were upgraded to a Corner Suite, and despite the somewhat odd layout (there is only a small window in the living room), the room was incredibly comfortable and luxurious feeling. We laughed several times over the confusing light switches - still not entirely sure we had them completely straight after two days. Do NOT skip the hotel restaurant. Not only is the menu incredible - it is expertly prepared and the service, especially from Connor is fabulous! By upgrading to Executive Lounge access we were treated to daily Happy Hour with chef’s appetizers - a wonderful pre-dinner treat! I can’t say enough great things about this property. Loved it! The entire staff radiates warmth and positivity and genuinely wants you to enjoy your stay with them. Cannot wait to return the next time I am in San Jose.

Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton

Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying at Gran Hotel Costa Rica Curio by Hilton and for your nice comments. We are very happy to know that you were treated to impeccable service with warmth and friendliness. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 8 November 2021 via mobile

Loved the top floor restaurant. Excellent food, views, and service. Hotel staff were wonderful. Amazing espresso machine in rooms, so good! Very comfortable bed, spacious shower, and quality toiletries.

Date of stay: November 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Johanna Rodriguez, Ventas at Gran hotel Costa Rica Curio a Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2021

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing the Gran Hotel Costa Rica Curio by Hilton and for your nice comments. We are very happy to know that you loved our restaurant and excellent food. We look forward to host you on a future stay.