US$94
US$100
US$82
HolidayInn.com
US$69
Aldea San Jose(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$40
  • Restaurant
Apartotel La Perla(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$45
Angels Hotel(San Jose)
US$40
Amon 1894(San Jose)
US$44
US$135
All reviewshemingway memorabilialight sleeperafter darklate at nightwould definitely stay here againbarrioneighborhood
Reviewed 10 January 2016

Lots of Charm and Atmosphere! Convenient walking distance to fascinating museums, banks, beautiful parks, good restaurants and everything downtown. Particularly interesting to those with a literary background. The present manager/owner and by far the best - is well versed on Hemingway and is a writer himself. He's an interesting character with many fascinating tales to tell - if you are lucky enough to meet him. Together he and his beautiful wife and family, run the hotel in a very efficient manner. I have stayed here every year for maybe 8 years and since they took over the place, it just gets better and better. Clean, friendly, safe, and definitely charming! Used to be the home of someone wealthy, I would say.

Room Tip: I've stayed in at least a dozen different rooms over the years - depending on availability and whether I was by myself or with my son.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2015

We had a reservation for ten days and gave notice and changed hotels after 2nd night. The beds are like bricks with no mattress covers and fitted sheets that don't tuck under so that you wake up with your face on bare mattress which was stained. The lighting consisted of a bare ceiling bulb so that reading and makeup was a blur. The bathroom sink was broken and glued back together and had only very cold water. The shower in the AM had only cold water and came out in slow dribble, making it almost impossible to ash and forget your hair. They started cement work on their sidewalk so we had a 10" board up to the office door which was locked as you balanced there waiting to get in. They did have a good breakfast which was cooked one at a time so rather slow and the staff did the best overall with what they have to work with.

Not that it would have made any difference to us but with tax it was $70 a night - only $10 less than many far superior hotel in San Jose. In fact we hit a sale on a room at a great downtown hotel for $70 per night inc tax.

The pictures looked great and I don't know where on earth all those positive reviews came from. The reviews and the three stars cause me o lose all faith in Travelocity. The hotel charged me for two extra nights and said it was Travelocity policy, so I not only had a miserable two nights but paid for four (like a fool.)

Room Tip: Lots of luck
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Marcia M
Reviewed 27 October 2015 via mobile

This isn't the Hilton, it's Costa Rica! If you want the same thing you can find in any other country in the world, stay somewhere else. The owner and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay in San Jose fun, productive and safe. Parking is out front of the hotel. The night clerk guards your car. How great is that? Our trip was for shopping and Deacon, the owner, negotiated a deal with the taxi driver across the street, helped plot our route and looked up addresses on the net for us. When we went to leave, our car's battery was dead and before I could open up my tablet to entertain myself while the Mr. solved this, Deacon had found booster cables, offered free parking to a gentleman in exchange for a boost and we were on our way. In addition, the included breakfast and coffee were delicious and generous, the owner was a character worth knowing and the decor was a cross between a library-like shrine to Hemingway and an invitation to Costa Rica. Sure the mattress sucked but who cares?
We walked to Avenida Central after our trips to home supply stores and found great bargains as well as lovely parks, and little surprises like the random wall of tiles pictured below. It was the rainy season so the rain bucketed down, but we were safe inside an excellent bar kitty corner to the Hemingway.
Highly recommend this place to help you encounter Costa Rica.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2015 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here our last night in CR after traveling the "gringo" trail. Initially, the hotel had a charming, vintage but functional aesthetic to it. We figured we could look past the fan that was buzzing because the motor bearings were worn out, or the sink that wasn't attached to the cabinet, or the bugs that came in the window because there weren't any screens in it, or the feral dogs that were barking outside the window from the abandoned construction site, or whoever was throwing rocks outside our window most of the night. Once we got to bed, the party started downstairs and kept us up for a few hours. It was frustrating because we needed to leave very early to catch a plane. It would have been nice if they had coffee on for the early travelers, but they didn't, so we didn't have any experience with their breakfast. Maybe that would have been their redemption. This was our only poor experience at any B&B in CR.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kearnj
Reviewed 17 August 2015

I had only one night here (thank God) on route to San Jose airport. Didn't realize this wasn't an airport hotel so I was told I needed to pay $30 to take a private shuttle to the airport...only to find out I could have taken a taxi for about half the price..The worse part though was the room! The noise from the street was unbearable! The window when "closed" was no help in terms of blocking the street noise which went ALL night on a weekday night. It was like sleeping on the street in terms of noise. I got about 1 hour of sleep total. The rooms have horror movie lighting and horror movie feel to them, and the safe was broken. Everything looks old and creepy. The door knob was just a push lock which could probably be picked with a hair pin. The only good point is a nice hair salon a few blocks away and a hot shower.

Room Tip: I don't know I would just suggest choose another place to stay. Hemingway never lived here!
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo