Hemingway Inn
US$77
US$85
US$70
  • Breakfast included
Hostel Casa Colon(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$46
US$42
  • Breakfast included
TripOn Open House(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$29
US$101
US$97
La Boruca(San Jose)
US$66
US$79
US$77
Orbitz.com
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose(San Jose)
US$190
US$184
All reviewshemingway memorabilialight sleeperafter darklate at nightbarrioneighborhood
Reviewed 13 February 2016

I stayed here as a stopover on my way to Dominical. On New Years Eve, I had a friend up to my room. Apparently, this was not allowed and a small sign behind the front desk announced this rule (I truly did not see it, nor was this rule announced on the guest registration card). The next day, I was told I needed to pay $20 for my friend staying over. I've never had this experience at any "Inn" or even a "Hostel" that I've stayed at in the pas where I am renting a private room and bath. I asked to speak with the owner (the front desk staff doesn't speak english), an expat from the US. I was very rudely told that he "discouraged that type of behavior" as he "has families who stay at his hotel". I explained this was the first time I'd ever had an experience like this one and that I would happily pay $10 for the additional guest since we did have breakfast, but that I was renting a room, not a bed. I was forced to pay the additional $20 and had my privacy invaded by the owner, who claimed to be a former private investigator. I was approached VERY rudely. There is no Pura Vida from the owner at this hotel and he hates gay people. My next trip to SJO, I stayed at an AirBNB that was equally well located, a larger room, and cleaner.

To it's credit, this location is in an old mansion, the linens and room were clean and the breakfast was great for the price paid. The location is in the Sectora De Cultura in San Jose, and around the corner from Cafe Miel Garage which has fabulous coffee.

Room Tip: The cheapest availabe room is small, but great for a solo traveler
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Brent F
Reviewed 9 February 2016

I had a great experience here due to the professionalism and hospitality of the entire staff. This is an older building which is very well maintained and clean. The free breakfast was an added treat consisting of coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice, choice of scrambled or fried eggs, fresh fruit, toast, and rice and beans. The famous writer for whom this property is named after Earnest Hemingway actually used to come and stay here. There is a room also named after him where he stayed in. This property has many great photos of him as well. I would recommend earplugs to any light sleeps or stuffing toilet paper in your ears to counter the sounds from the street below. Although there was no air conditioning in the room, the fresh mountain air and ceiling fans were all I required to stay comfortable. Literally minutes away from great food, museums, parks, and shopping.The embassies and hospitals are also close by.

Room Tip: Room 8 has no exterior windows and would probably be the quietest.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2016

Lots of Charm and Atmosphere! Convenient walking distance to fascinating museums, banks, beautiful parks, good restaurants and everything downtown. Particularly interesting to those with a literary background. The present manager/owner and by far the best - is well versed on Hemingway and is a writer himself. He's an interesting character with many fascinating tales to tell - if you are lucky enough to meet him. Together he and his beautiful wife and family, run the hotel in a very efficient manner. I have stayed here every year for maybe 8 years and since they took over the place, it just gets better and better. Clean, friendly, safe, and definitely charming! Used to be the home of someone wealthy, I would say.

Room Tip: I've stayed in at least a dozen different rooms over the years - depending on availability and whether I was by myself or with my son.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2015

We had a reservation for ten days and gave notice and changed hotels after 2nd night. The beds are like bricks with no mattress covers and fitted sheets that don't tuck under so that you wake up with your face on bare mattress which was stained. The lighting consisted of a bare ceiling bulb so that reading and makeup was a blur. The bathroom sink was broken and glued back together and had only very cold water. The shower in the AM had only cold water and came out in slow dribble, making it almost impossible to ash and forget your hair. They started cement work on their sidewalk so we had a 10" board up to the office door which was locked as you balanced there waiting to get in. They did have a good breakfast which was cooked one at a time so rather slow and the staff did the best overall with what they have to work with.

Not that it would have made any difference to us but with tax it was $70 a night - only $10 less than many far superior hotel in San Jose. In fact we hit a sale on a room at a great downtown hotel for $70 per night inc tax.

The pictures looked great and I don't know where on earth all those positive reviews came from. The reviews and the three stars cause me o lose all faith in Travelocity. The hotel charged me for two extra nights and said it was Travelocity policy, so I not only had a miserable two nights but paid for four (like a fool.)

Room Tip: Lots of luck
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Marcia M
Reviewed 27 October 2015 via mobile

This isn't the Hilton, it's Costa Rica! If you want the same thing you can find in any other country in the world, stay somewhere else. The owner and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay in San Jose fun, productive and safe. Parking is out front of the hotel. The night clerk guards your car. How great is that? Our trip was for shopping and Deacon, the owner, negotiated a deal with the taxi driver across the street, helped plot our route and looked up addresses on the net for us. When we went to leave, our car's battery was dead and before I could open up my tablet to entertain myself while the Mr. solved this, Deacon had found booster cables, offered free parking to a gentleman in exchange for a boost and we were on our way. In addition, the included breakfast and coffee were delicious and generous, the owner was a character worth knowing and the decor was a cross between a library-like shrine to Hemingway and an invitation to Costa Rica. Sure the mattress sucked but who cares?
We walked to Avenida Central after our trips to home supply stores and found great bargains as well as lovely parks, and little surprises like the random wall of tiles pictured below. It was the rainy season so the rain bucketed down, but we were safe inside an excellent bar kitty corner to the Hemingway.
Highly recommend this place to help you encounter Costa Rica.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple