Lowest prices for your stay
US$86
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.com
travelup.com
PricelineUS$96
Trip.comUS$104
1,087 results
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 August 2021

We had my daughter birthday celebrated at this hotel, floor 17th, Augusto el Grande saloon, views of San Jose are fantastic! The staff very professional, food outstanding! In addition the room we booked was clean, plenty on space and also with beautiful sights of the city and surrounding mountains! Ours guests were extremely happy and satisfied so we were as well! Definitely recommend!

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Rafael Rojas, Guest Services / Front Office at Holiday Inn San Jose-Aurola, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2021

Reviewed 20 August 2021

For my weeklong stay in Costa Rica, I selected the Holiday Inn - Aurola for many reasons. First, it is well known for being clean, comfortable and centrally located, but it’s also a prominent landmark and the highest building in town. Service was great, while the bars and restaurants were top notch. But the hotel being the highest building was not the high point for me. The highlight for me was absolutely the staff. Beginning with the hotel manager, Carlos Garcia, who greets people to demonstrate they are not merely guests or someone ‘unknown’ with a room number. According to Carlos, each guest is special with unique needs to ensure their stay is memorable. It’s the difference between a customer and a client – the difference is his staff’s attention to personal detail and treating hotel guest as close to family as practical. They learn your first name and you’ve become family in this sparkling establishment.

Holiday Inn’s “Clean Promise” is more than a slogan or trademark at their San Jose (Aurola) property – it is their total commitment to ensure their hotel retains the highest cleanliness standards. You can see it upon entering this high-rise building where it is mandatory to wash your hands at a convenient sanitation station. Workers with back-pack steamers and disinfectants frequently clean common-use and high-traffic areas. Even the housekeeping staff are armed with sanitizing and purifying tools to protect guests from any potential germs or bacteria. I felt extremely comfortable and shielded. The hotel was as close to a ‘safe house,’ in a budding city as one could expect.

There were many noteworthy superstars - particularly Erick Gonzalez, the front desk supervisor. He certainly greets and treats guests like family too. He is professionalism is beyond belief. From providing me pinpoint directions to the least expensive nearby authorized COVID testing site for my return trip to the US, to printing out my speedy results in English and Spanish, Erick went out of his way to ensure my stay was stress and worry free. Erick’s boss is Rafael Rojas, is the hotel’s Rooms Division Manager. Rafael is about as close as you can get to an indispensable person I’ve ever met. If you need anything special in your room, chat with Rafael. Want a larger room with a view, talk to Rafael. Anything to do with rooms in this hotel, Rafael knows just how to make your dreams become a reality. Yet my review would be incomplete if I didn’t mention other memorable staffers like Daniel, the lead bartender at the La Palma Bar who insists everyone who enters his mezzanine pub automatically becomes his boss. Daniel can remember exactly what you drink and how you like it – he’s incredible and very personable at the same time. He donates ALL his tips to a local orphanage. The manager and staff will be the reason when I return to Costa Rica, I will definitely stay at the Holiday Inn - Aurola. A great hotel for your perfect stay in this beautiful country.

Room tip: Quiet rooms with incredible views. If you can, snag a corner room for a more panoramic view of this sprawling city.
Date of stay: August 2021
Rafael Rojas, Atención al huésped/Recepción at Holiday Inn San Jose-Aurola, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2021

Dear Mr. TNchicklet
We appreciate your detailed review of our service.

We are proud that you have been able to feel part of the Aurola family, this motivates us to continue providing this service that characterizes us.

We hope that you will be able to visit us again very soon, it will always be a pleasure to receive you in this your home.

Reviewed 15 June 2021 via mobile

1) They wanted twice the Expedia rate. The guy at the front desk did not seem to care and made me sit there and book the room on my phone. Hilton NEVER does this.

2) no effort to help us with our bags

3) the casino was pathetic. There was an empty black Jack table with a dealer but I suppose the $80 my son and I laid out there for some chips ( at the $2 table ) was more action then the could handle. Or maybe they thought we looked like a couple of professional gamblers who could count into an 8 deck auto shuffling shoe and clean them out even though a black Jack for the player only pays 1:1. In hind sight I am glad we didn't play there.

4) dinner was Horrible. I didn't think it was possible to screw up a medium rare filet mignon. It tasted like it had been boiled for 15 minutes. Grey and tough all the way thru. Thankfully there was only about 3 ounces of it to choke down.

5) they gave me 3 free drink coupons for the bar. I wish they had not because it only added to my rage when I found out they were only good for fruit juice.

6) the AC barely worked. They said they would fix it. They didn't.

8) they would not answer the phone when I called to find out when breakfast was. I dialed 0, pushed the button for the front desk and room service. No one home.

9) sadly ( or maybe thankfully ) breakfast was at 7:00 am so I missed it. In a city that shuts down at 9:00 pm and the sun comes up at 5:00 am I would think they would serve breakfast at 6:00 at the latest. But no. I have to wonder what everyone does for 10 hours between bars closing and breakfast. I would think with all that sleep they could at least run a high quality hotel. But sadly that is not the case.

I will never. Ever. Stay there again:

Room tip: Avoid that hotel. They seem to have let the COVID virus beat them and the staff does not seem to care.
Trip type: Travelled with family
Rafael Rojas, Atención al huésped/Recepción at Holiday Inn San Jose-Aurola, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2021

Dear edmund g

Thanks for letting us know. We are sorry for the inconvenience you suffered during your stay as this does not represent our usual standards.

Apologies for the inconvenience with your reservation, the hotel offers a variety of rates for you to choose from, Sometimes you can find offers in the different virtual agencies since they are joined with promotions that the same agencies take out.

With regard to luggage, due to an issue of distancing from COVID, the luggage of our guests is not being handled for the safety of our guests and staff.

We will pass your comments on the casino with the management of the casino, as the casino is a non-hotel property that is located in the same building. But we are different administrations, that is why there are different accesses.

Thank you for your comments regarding dinner, we will inform the restaurant about the end of your meat.

The welcome cocktail is a courtesy of the hotel, which is a fruit cocktail. If customers want another type of cocktail, these do have a cost.

Again I apologize for the inconvenience with the air conditioning, as this does not usually happen in the rooms.

Due to the restrictions established by the government, the country closes at 9pm, in the same way our room service is maintained until 10pm and in case of leaving before 7am, we prepare a box breakfast so that you can take it away.

We will share your opinion with our staff and implement any necessary changes. We hope you will stay with us again so that we can show you our true level of service.

Reviewed 10 June 2021

I had such a fun time and Daniel, the bartender, really made it worth my while to stay at the holiday inn. He went above and beyond to cater to his guests and I appreciated it so much. If he sees this THANK YOU DANIEL. They make very good drinks at the hotel bar! Would go again!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Rafael Rojas, Atención al huésped/Recepción at Holiday Inn San Jose-Aurola, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2021

Reviewed 10 June 2021 via mobile

Awesome service! Highly recommend the hotel, and the bartender Daniel is the best! He made the best drinks and the hospitality was outstanding. The hotel is very clean and efficient, even with COVID-19 protocols.

Trip type: Travelled solo