We loved this hotel! Our family of five only stayed one night before our flight out but it felt like home and we would have been keen to stay longer. Ten reasons why we loved it:
1. It represents amazing value, we had a double and a triple (well, quadruple), fully ensuite with nice modern bathrooms, plus the legendary breakfast all for $127!!
2. The legendary breakfast - buffet breakfasts seem rare in Costa Rica, this was the only one we had, and it was a-maz-ing. Loads of different options and all in the beautiful patio garden.
3. The gardens - like a mini jungle, a complete oasis in the city. Beautiful birds and a small squirrel visit and you could curl up in the hammock chair and stay forever.
4. The history - the hotel is composed of five houses built for the well-to-do in the 1930s, so there are high ceilings, wooden floors, tiled floors, long corridors - and the history is all well-explained in a great poster.
5. The location (1) - Aranjuez borders Amon, the former upper class area of San Jose. We only passed through Amon in the taxi on the way to the airport but it looked lovely, by far the most solid and beautiful houses we saw in the city, beautifully renovated for the most part.
6. The location (2) - we discovered too late that the Costa Rica National Museum which is housed in the most amazing former garrison (looks like a huge mustard coloured toy castle) opens at 8.30am - 4.30pm every day except Sunday and Monday and is a 10 minute walk away from the hotel. We only had time to visit the outside, we wished so much we hadn't taken so long packing. Not only is there history but also a butterfly garden. The building is in the final throes of renovation and looks gorgeous.
7. The location (3) - it seems very safe as it is in the University area - the schools of Medicine and Architecture are close by plus a very modern hospital. The colonial government buildings are a short walk away down a pedestrianised boulevard plus an attractive park.
8. Restaurants are all about a ten minute walk away and it seemed quite safe, although we did encounter an aggressive dog but as it is all on a grid system, we just went down the next street. We went to one called the Beer Gallery - randomly with a German theme, but good fun and full of glamourous young Ticos/Ticas out for Friday night.
9. The airport is a 30 minute taxi ride away and the helpful desk guy can arrange a mini-van for $40 if you have a lot of luggage.
10. There is efficient free wifi (yay!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Aranjuez is located in San Jose and is surrounded by a tropical garden. Free breakfast buffet, free WiFi access and free private parking are available. Each room here features an authentic historic decor and will provide you with a cable TV, an outdoor seating area and a private bathroom with a bath or shower and a hairdryer. All rooms have a desk and a safety-deposit box. Our wonderfull Breakfast Buffet is also included. At Hotel Aranjuez you will find a 24-hour front desk, a garden and a terrace. Other facilities offered at the property include a tour desk, luggage storage and laundry facilities. The property offers free parking. The hotel is 1.1 km from Pre-Colombian Gold Museum, 1.2 km from National Theatre of Costa Rica and 1.4 km from Metropolitan Cathedral. Juan Santamaria International Airport is 16 km away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Aranjuez reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Aranjuez Costa Rica/San Jose