US$85
US$64
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$73/night.

Balmoral Hotel(San Jose)
US$120
US$83
US$148
US$128
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
US$108
US$97
  • Breakfast included
US$94
US$104
US$93
Aldea San Jose(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$44
  • Restaurant
Angels Hotel(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$36
Alda's Place(San Jose)
Agoda.com
All reviewsstayed herebig suitesabana parkrooms are cleannice hotelan older hotelhot waterdecent sizebreakfast buffet ispollosupermarketwificlinic
Reviewed 19 May 2018

I did not have high expectations at all for this hotel. It was just for the night before we were to fly out of Costa Rica. We had stayed in a few other fabulous hotels but just wanted to be nearer the airport the night before. We had a full day of traveling prior to reaching the Autentico Hotel. The area is sketchy at best. The hotel has a guard at the door. We parked the car in the lot across the street and were starving but it was 8:45 and the restaurant closed at 9pm so they wouldn't serve us. We walked up the street to a Subway - also with an armed guard at the door. I was afraid we were going to be mugged the entire 3 blocks.

We then went back to the hotel and checked in. A bus of young kids had just gotten there so we waited a while to be checked in. Then we went to our room and it got worse!! It was so horrible!! Smelly, old, dirty. The bedspreads looked awful so I stripped them and found a dead ant between the covers and sheets. The sheets didn't even fit the decades old flat bed and the pillow was yellow and lumpy. I checked out the bathroom and found more dead ants behind the pedestal sink. The floor was so dirty! I was afraid of bedbugs or something so we never even unpacked. I immediately went online and booked another hotel. We rolled back out to the desk, turned in the key, and went to another hotel. The employee at the desk did offer to show me another room but I don't think there is only one disgustingly dirty room in any hotel. Best decision as I would not have been able to sleep in the Autentico Hotel.

The only positive is that when I got home I contacted my travel agent and they were able to refund the charge for the hotel. For only $25 more we were able to stay at the Barcelo just a mile away and that was absolutely lovely!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!!!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

I stayed here at the end of my visit to Costa Rica. I was previously at two other great hotels so I thought that this would be as hospitable as the others. It was the worst. The staff is so unfriendly and judgmental, the breakfast Was so unorganized and cold..Never staying here again. I never felt so uncomfortable in this country.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2018

This is an older hotel, but it is fine for the night. They are currently remodeling, so some of the rooms are updated. My room was not an updated one, but my students had gorgeous rooms. The pool was cold, so none of my students swam.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2018

The room I stayed in was lackluster. It was small, cramped, next to a busy street with road noise during rush hours. It didn't have a refrigerator, or microwave. WIFI was good and strong, TV had multiple channels, with a hand full in English as well as HBO. It had two twin beds, which were not too comfortable.
That being said. This hotel is very nice. The layout of the hotel is very inviting. The lobby area is open to the street, so a constant breeze comes through which is pleasant for the seating area. There is a pool located in the center of the hotel that is also very nice and inviting for swimming, or just sitting around and relaxing.
A very expansive breakfast buffet was available each morning that was included with the room. It featured their signature gallo pinto, as well as fruits and eggs, toast, etc..
The location is very good. It is within walking distance of many restaurants, the downtown area and Sabana Park.
Renovation is underway, so improvements are being made to the rooms.
I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others. Price was competitive compared to other hotels in the area, given San Jose is not a cheap place.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

Adjusting one's expectations for Costa Rica, one could say that the Hotel Autentico is very good. However, we got stuck in a room next to a very noisy exhaust fan. So, I didn't sleep all that well. Nevertheless, the room was clean, the beds comfortable and the shower was hot. The breakfast buffet was also very good.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple