“Simply amazing”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$50.00*
and up
San Jose City Tour with National Theatre and Gold...
Ranked #40 of 134 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Contemporary Art and Design Museum at the National Cultural Centre -CENAC- the old Liquor Factory.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

An excellent display of the imagination and creativity of the danish artists. It is surprising to find so many things with which we live every day so cleverly designed. A real eye opening experience.

All reviews
"hammocks"
"tico"
"theatre"

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

We were in April, 2018 and it was very weak exposition. Having such a beautiful building and inside premises would be possible to make it bigger and more interesting. Also everything was only in spanish both all the descriptions, movies etc. It took us exactly 10mins, and we are contemporary art lovers..

Reviewed 19 February 2018

Perhaps I needed someone to explain things.
MADC is an acronym that stands for The Museum of Contemporary Art and Design. It was founded in 1994 and is housed in the old brewery (historical) building. To the left of the building, down below, (it is still part of the museum’s premises), is a large shaded area where they hold special events and sale of arts and crafts. When we arrived, one of the facilitator of the event told us to come back because they had an event happening that evening.So we did and they had local artists selling handicrafts, mostly handmade. It was Valentine’s day and we learned that the museum admission on this day from 5-9 pm is free.

MADC is a museum that specializes in contemporary Central American design and international work in the field. The exhibit is sparse and I honestly did not understand a lot of it. Perhaps I needed to read each story. There was one area where the video showed a woman being massage on the head and it turned into a forceful movement and no explanation except “dolor de cabeza” (headache). I found MADC to be a totally different museum than I have ever been. Different because things did not make sense to me; and I did not understand the exhibits. It is very difficult to explain. Perhaps it was meant to be that way, leave you puzzled. They also have a website that archives, programs, activities, art brochures, catalogued collection and podcast interviews with artists and curators.

I am just glad I did not pay coming here.

We walked from MADC all the way to the Mercado. Our guide gave us a feel of the town for a visit on our own later.

Reviewed 13 December 2017

I entered this museum walking around La Sabana Park one day, didn't realize it was the old airport terminal/control tower. Beautiful woodwork in this place. The art exhibits were interesting especially the blue prints of the National Theater Construction. The statues are very interesting outside. My favorite is definitely the woodwork upstairs, this is a must for anyone interested in hand engraved furniture.