All reviews post surgery three meals a day dental implants dental work other guests medical tourism post op great hands hospital bed ice packs costa rica standard room great place to stay retreat nursing clinic patients
Reviewed 22 May 2018

Summary: Las Cumbres at one time was quite nice but it has been years since it has seen any maintenance or improvements. The pictures on the website are decades old.

The mattress was old and hard, it was on top of a bent frame. The frame was made of thin tubes, much like what you would find in very cheap furniture stores in the poorer parts of your town (think Big Lots furniture in the states). It was clearly Chinese and cheap. We were afraid to sleep together in the same bed. The pillows were thin, flat and offered no support, so bad that we bought two new ones after the first night. The blanket was a full size for our queen size bed. There was no couch or chairs, simply a cheap, worn futon. The television had three English channels: CNN and two network affiliates from Miami.

The remote for the room AC was nowhere to be found and there was no other way to turn it on. Generally the temps were nice when we stayed but at night we had no option but to leave the slider open and listen to the numerous dogs bark all night. The towels were thin and very rough, the worst I have ever felt. The in room safe did not function it was a minor irritation, though, to the smoke detector which had the battery removed.

The common areas were at one time quite nice, nowadays a blanket covers the numerous cracks and cuts in the leather couch. All the cushions on the wicker were worn out and did not offer much cushioning. The exercise room was equipped with low end homeowner grade equipment from the 1980s. The pool was never skimmed in the week that we stayed.

Breakfast was fine, although oddly there was an extra charge for meat. Lunch and dinner were adequate portions for an average women but wholly inadequate for an American male, I lost weight while I stayed there. The main course were generally casserole style and low in protein. The coffee was quite good, though.

The Inn is isolated in a residential area with no easy access to town, Uber is an absolute necessity! The view was spectacular! The Inn was at 21% occupancy when we stayed and the owner indicated we could move rooms but somehow that offer was quickly forgotten and never materialized.

Written May 2018

Room Tip: No rooms had functioning AC
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 98CathyKeith
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

I stayed 10 days for a surgical procedure... my second visit (my first was in 2002) and it just gets better!!! I came back after 16 years because I never forgot how wonderful the care was and I knew if I ever came back I would stay at Las Cumbres again! The chef made such amazing meals and always went out of his way to give me the variety and flavor even though I asked for certain dietary restrictions. For a woman traveling alone it was wonderful to be picked up at the airport and not have to worry about getting around! San Jose.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank hankins888
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Beautiful location, great food and loving staff. Its perfect for after surgery. They pick you up and take you back to the airport
I recommend Las Cumbres even for non medical visits. Its so relaxing and they arranged outings and tours for us. Great choice!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2018

Where do I start? This hotel, Las Cumbres, was one of the biggest surprises after have a major surgery at CIMA Hospital in Escazu. My doctor had recommended two different recovery centers, and after looking at the first one, a high-rise building in the center of town, I chose this one for the small size, the beautiful views of the city and mountains surrounding San Jose, and the price. The fact that they offered a three meal a day option was a big bonus. The nurse on staff was with me from the recovery room to my own big sunny room at their hotel. The manager, Zinia, could not be more accommodating to her guests. The staff of four felt like family. But the biggest surprise? The first class, professionally trained chef, Christian. He continued to surprise us with gourmet meals that would have cost a fortune outside of the hotel, delicious and healthy three-course meals, full of fresh ingredients and perfect for the recovery process. I can't wait to bring my husband with me when we go do our medical visits in San Jose in June. This is also a hotel, so not just a recovery boutique hotel. And the price, even with the three meals a day option, cannot be beat! The best kept secret that we know in the city. Did I mention the food?? I can't tell you how wonderful the whole place is. Beautiful gardens, large pool and spectacular views. I miss them already.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 March 2018

I spent time at Las Cumbres as I had dental surgery and needed to spend time recovering. It IS a "family home" where everyone is so supportive (including other guests.). I had three meals a day (the cook put my food in a blender so I could eat it), the services of a nurse, transportation to and from appointments, and transportation to and from the airport. From the minute they picked me up I knew I was I great hands. The nurse was always there for me and took care of all my needs. The cooks were amazing and the food was excellent. When I needed a ride, Elke called Uber for me. When I was at the dentist and needed a ride back "home", the dentist called Elke and she made the arrangements. Uber drivers did not speak English, but Elke had given them directions and that made it easy!!

Elke, the owner, was just like my mom the night I came back from my appointment. Elke had my room ready for bed, bolsters and pillows, she tied ice packs to my head, and encouraged me to call if I needed her, no matter how late. She asked where my medications were, I had not received them, within 15 minutes she had them delivered. She marked them as to what time a day I was to take them. If that is not great care, I do not know what is! So awesome! I highly recommend Las Cumbres Inn! You cannot beat the care they give!

Room Tip: They are all good rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo