“Beautiful view not the best food!”
Review of Le Monastere

Le Monastere
Ranked #56 of 681 Restaurants in San Jose
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 May 2017 via mobile

My best friend and I came to Costa Rica for a quick get a way. I met a guy on the plane who recommended a view places and this was one. The restaurant is situated and the beautiful hills of San Jose Costa Rica with breathtaking views. We expected the food to be amazing as they are very expensive. We paid about 60 bux a piece for a very gummy steak. The best thing I had was a Caesar salad. I probably will never dine at this place again but I'm glad to say I experienced it.

Reviewed 6 May 2017

We made a group effort to experience this restaurant and the location makes for a very nice view of the area, but the service was only average at best and was actually quite slow. The venue was definitely great and came highly recommended but we were there after sunset and I think that being there in daylight and dining through the sunset would add to the experience for sure. Food was good and ambience was good as well, just took alot of effort to get there on an early Friday evening as the San Jose traffic proved to be very very frustrating. Can't say that this was really worth the effort or the wait with respect to the service we received.

Reviewed 2 May 2017

If you want to dine in a beautiful spot, high over the city, with breathtaking views -- then making the drive up to Le Monastere is worth it. If you are wanting food that is as good as the view, you will be disappointed. I dined with a group, but was thinking how nice it would be to have a romantic dinner at one of the smaller tables by the windows! The food was by no means bad -- everything was prepared well and was fresh -- it just paled in comparison to the ambiance. Traditional fare in an remarkable spot.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

My wife and I went there for dinner last night. The food was excellent and the view was amazing. My wife had the corvina with seafood sauce and I had the filet mignon in a gorgonzola sauce. We highly recommend either dish. It is expensive but worth it!

Reviewed 7 March 2017

My experience: Me and my boyfriend celebrate our anniversary in december 31; so we decided to pay for the New Year´s Eve Dinner they were offering. When we arrive they put us on hold waiting at the entrance because no one was attending. Our reservation was at 10:00pm and by 11:00 we haven´t ordered anything because the waiters were "too busy". When the entrance arrived it was COLD and when they bring it back nothing changed. By 12:00am (New Year) we were only finishing our food and finished our dessert by 1:30am. They lasted an hour to bring the wine and had no idea of the orders. The food wasn´t that good for a $200 dinner. I´ve never seen such bad service. We call back to the restaurant to explain what a horrible dinner we had and they offered a second dinner this time "on the house". When we went it was the same. The waiters and the administrator didn´t know a thing about protocol, nobody knew about this dinner (it was supposed to make up what they did in the first place) and also during dinner the service didn´t changed and the waiter wasn´t trained or qualified. Also when someone asks for the "courtesy of the house" its supposed to be COURTESY, but they charged us for the appetizers. One of the worst expenses I´ve made in food.
The food: they say that their dish is french-inspired but its totally a mockery of what french cuisine really is. Their food is not great, quite expensive and an awful presentation; it looks inexpensive and kind-of-cheap amateur.
The service: they need as soon as possible training for costumer service and someone who can explain them about protocol QUICKLY! This restaurant has no idea of what is taking seriously their image and complaints of their costumers.
The price: really EXPENSIVE and none of service, wine, or food costs what my dinner/ celebration was.