“Nice view but expensive and poor service”
Review of Le Monastere

Le Monastere
Ranked #52 of 707 Restaurants in San Jose
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 8 July 2017

The location is nice and the view is great. The food was quite expensive and not very good quality. Also the service was ok, but not great.

Reviewed 19 May 2017 via mobile

My best friend and I came to Costa Rica for a quick get a way. I met a guy on the plane who recommended a view places and this was one. The restaurant is situated and the beautiful hills of San Jose Costa Rica with breathtaking views. We expected the food to be amazing as they are very expensive. We paid about 60 bux a piece for a very gummy steak. The best thing I had was a Caesar salad. I probably will never dine at this place again but I'm glad to say I experienced it.

Reviewed 6 May 2017

We made a group effort to experience this restaurant and the location makes for a very nice view of the area, but the service was only average at best and was actually quite slow. The venue was definitely great and came highly recommended but we were there after sunset and I think that being there in daylight and dining through the sunset would add to the experience for sure. Food was good and ambience was good as well, just took alot of effort to get there on an early Friday evening as the San Jose traffic proved to be very very frustrating. Can't say that this was really worth the effort or the wait with respect to the service we received.

Reviewed 2 May 2017

If you want to dine in a beautiful spot, high over the city, with breathtaking views -- then making the drive up to Le Monastere is worth it. If you are wanting food that is as good as the view, you will be disappointed. I dined with a group, but was thinking how nice it would be to have a romantic dinner at one of the smaller tables by the windows! The food was by no means bad -- everything was prepared well and was fresh -- it just paled in comparison to the ambiance. Traditional fare in an remarkable spot.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

My wife and I went there for dinner last night. The food was excellent and the view was amazing. My wife had the corvina with seafood sauce and I had the filet mignon in a gorgonzola sauce. We highly recommend either dish. It is expensive but worth it!