US$45
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewste tiarefrench polynesiadeep watergarden bungalowother islandsonly accessible by boatfishour honeymoonclamsbora borayour doorstepmain villagebeautiful islandmanta raynice deckbeach baroutdoor shower
Reviewed 16 January 2018

Beautiful ... I loved stepping of the deck from my veranda into the clear pristine waters of Huahine (with all sea life at your doorstep): The restaurant serves amazing food the staff iare very welcoming ,this is a great place to just relax and unwind ...there is a boat to take you into town if you need supplies or just want to go into town

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank Belsiii
Reviewed 12 January 2018

One of our favourite spots in French Polynesia. The staff is super nice, actually so is the entire island, never been anywhere like it. The beach is awesome, take some time to do some kayaking, swim with some beautiful fish. There is frequent shuttle service to the town so take advantage of that as well and go around the island, there is a very scenic wrap-around road.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danail D
Reviewed 12 January 2018

We traveled here as a family of four (2 adults and two kids, ages 10 and 14). We enjoyed Huahine and the Royal Huahine very much. As other reviewers mentioned, the hotel has not been updated in some time. We booked knowing this, appreciating the value that the hotel represents, particularly for staying over water. We stayed in overwater bungalow #39 and loved it. The additional cost for the overwater bungalow was quite low compared to other hotels in French Polynesia. We highly recommend the upgrade.

Prior to our arrival, we stayed at the Intercontinental Bora Bora Thalasso and Le Moana hotels. Obviously, this hotel is different from those. But this hotel is also about 1/3 to 1/2 the price. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would absolutely love to return. We loved our bungalow's deep water location. It was great fun to jump and dive into the water.

We found our bungalow to be generously sized, comfortable, and clean. We had no issues with mildew in our room, and it was completely bug-free (overwater bungalows may have an advantage in this regard as compared with garden bungalows). There is a mini fridge in the room, and a bar sink, which was convenient for fixing afternoon drinks in the room. As other reviewers mentioned, it is a great idea to stock up in town at the supermarket right where the boat drops/picks up. The air conditioning in our room was located such that the cool air landed on the bed, which my husband appreciated, as he likes AC very much. Our friends stayed at the hotel as well (bungalow 38), and their AC did not face the bed, and their ceiling fan did not work well, while our ceiling fan was newer and quite effective. After some time, I believe that their room did get cool enough, considering it was the hot/muggy season, just not as fast as ours.

The cleaning staff did a great job and we received fresh towels and toiletries in our room everyday. There was an issue with getting pool towels for one or two days during stormy weather - perhaps the laundry is off site? For us, it was not a big deal (again, we appreciated the value offered by the hotel, and were able to make do). And later the staff remembered that we asked for towels when they were out and flagged us down to offer them when they were again available - nice.

The gardens are very pretty, and the setting (between the steep, tropical hillside and the lagoon) is beautiful. The pool was clean, but the pool furniture was outdated. We didn't mind, as we preferred to go back to our bungalow deck. Again, if the hotel had a complete overhaul, we would have been paying at least twice as much per night, so we were fine with outdated pool chairs. The overwater walkways are sturdy but could use a complete overhaul, and the rope "railings" are rickety, so small kids would need close supervision.

The restaurant was enjoyable and the food was better priced than we have seen at many other French Polynesian hotels. We enjoyed the more economical options - the fish sandwich and fries was good, quite large, and under $20. The poisson cru was also good, similarly priced, and very generous in portion size. There was a 'menu touristique' with a huge entree salad with grilled fish and grilled chicken plus large dessert sundae for about $22. We read other reviews that said breakfast was not as good a value, so we skipped it and self-catered.

We enjoyed the kayaks and outrigger canoe, and did some snorkeling (despite stormy weather). We also did the full day lagoon tour with Huahine Nautique, which was great.

Again, we would gladly return to the Royal Huahine. The island is beautiful and our short trip left us wanting more. For us, the Royal Huahine was an excellent fit.

Room Tip: get a deep water overwater bungalow like 39
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank VnJnAnJ
Reviewed 8 January 2018

Where do I start? The pictures lie. They are outdated. I don't know what these folks are talking about by saying this place is "serenity"-- I am by no means picky, but this place is a dump. Plain and simple. The place is falling apart. Mold, mildew and decay everywhere you look. Black mold on the window coverings in restaurant, mildew all over our bathroom, tiny masses of bugs crawling all over the walls near the restaurant bathrooms, janky pool area, a visible septic pipe running the length of the property: from the overwater bungalows, under the restaurant and to the other side (which you could SMELL while dining).

The staff is lukewarm at best; one staffer even asked me to exchange money with her for her upcoming trip to the States. Could not get beach towels when we first arrived - they just didn't have any. Half the lunch menu wasn't available (I understand and appreciate that this is a remote island and would have totally overlooked this but this was the icing on the cake). Pathetic breakfast buffet, dirty and broken glasses at the restaurant, wrinkly table cloths, dirty salt bowl, an unkempt and unused pool-side bar. the pool was crumbling and the pool chairs were out of a horror film. NO WiFi other than in the hotel lobby. Not even at the pool area. The "Spa" is a joke-- it is a converted bungalow that has two massage tables in it with no one there. Likewise, the gift shop is left wide open with no one running it.

The worst part was that our room was absolutely disgusting-it smelled like septic and rotting wood. I will try to post photos here of the mildew/mold in our bathroom and of our bathroom toilet(having tech issues). Worse than an outhouse! The towel hook fell completely off the wall when I tried to hang a towel. The cleaning staff didn't give us clean towels for several days in our room.

This was truly a shame as I enjoyed seeing Huahine and it's people but I felt totally trapped here and miserable with my surroundings. I did not expect much by way of modern amenities on this island because I know it is less visited than the others but I was not expecting filth and decay! We walked through the Lapita Hotel downtown and it was MUCH nicer, newer and cleaner so if you go to Huahine I would say stay there.

Room Tip: Not bungalow 7 that's for sure
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
8  Thank dorisf470
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

Good value, beautiful location. Not much to do hear but swim but they do have kayaks for you. It was low season when we were there so not sure if the two kayaks they had would be enough if the resort was crowded. Food was good and reasonably priced considering the location.
I forgot my jewelry bag in the suite on departure. When I emailed the hotel, the had actually found it. Such honesty speaks highly of the people that work for the Royal Huahine. Resa from the office saw to it that my case was shipped to my hotel. Very impressive in todays world. Thank you Resa.
The over water bungalow that we had was large with a fridge. And mini kitchen. Not new by any stretch but location was luxurious. Lovely beach and lots of beach chairs. Went to town only once. Not much there.
Well worth the trip. Thanks again Resa.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple