Black Diamond Resort Company

from US$119.95
from US$159.95
from US$89.95
More Info
All reviews horse drawn horses ride trail golfing holes blast denali
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 September 2021

We did the Draft Horse Drawn Covered Wagon and Dining excursion. The ride was as comfortable as you could hope for a covered wagon and the draft horses were beautiful and well behaved. The driver and guide were terrific. We started at a relatively high elevation and traveled through country with spectacular views of mountains and forests down to a shallow river with a gravel bed that was fun to explore. The river meandered around the base of a tall hill with a sheer face with exposed gravel, indicating that the hill was a large gravel mound created during the last glacier period. from there we wagoned to a spacious log lodge in the low land for lunch, and from there back to the main lodge. We recommend this excursion as a leisurely way to enjoy the beautiful Alaskan backcountry.

Reviewed 6 September 2021

I had a terrible time, infuriating in fact because of how I was treated on this tour.

First of all -- they should not lie. Here is what is written on website:

This tour is a great tour for beginning ATV drivers or individuals who have never had an opportunity to experience driving an ATV.

I also called and asked if this was something someone my age and experience level should skip and was told, it was absolutely something for me and I would be completely comfortable.

LIES! There was no patience shown by the adrenaline junkies (Charles and Evan) who led this tour. Being one of two women in their 50s on the atvs, we were treated so poorly. Very quickly into our ride, the guides humiliated the other women by removing her from the atv to ride in side by side which she later said really pissed her off and then about an hour later, after doing my best to keep up on a ride
through nothing but giant mud puddles -- not one chance to look at the beautiful scenery, they did the same to me --stopped the tour and completely humiliated and insulted me. In my book, that was flat out age discrimination -- removing the two women in their 50s from a tour advertised to be for beginners.

I thought this would be a nice ride to see the beautiful scenery of Denali, it was anything but. The guides were driving crazy the entire time, hooting and hollering about "let's get muddy". We stopped at two scheduled stops (one was on private property that they laughed about when they acknowledged we should not be on) and stopped once for a moose. That was it. The website says you can stop whenever you want -- ha! Another lie. I told them that I would really like to see some of the scenery but they said we would on our scheduled stop.

Our driver on the way back mentioned he had been one of the tour guides in the past and I asked him if he rode crazy like these guys did. He said, no, you have to let the people enjoy the beautiful surroundings ---. EXACTLY what I had signed up for!

I will also add that the food was cafeteria food and with the great food we had our entire trip in Alaska, I wish we had not wasted our money on that.

The whole thing was such a disappointment that I wrote a very reasonable email to the company to advise them of what happened so they would be able to train their staff -- and they did not even bother to respond.

Find another company to do this type of excursion with. They simply do not care and will say anything to get your money and won't stand by their "promises".

Reviewed 6 September 2021

The staff at Black Diamond is incredible! Everybody was super friendly and eager to help. As a novice, I always felt that the tour guides were exceptionally patient with me and I would recommend it to anybody who may be reaching outside of their comfort zones! Although I wish there was a bit more time on open trails, it was still a lovely experience (and the food was good!).

Overall, one of our favorite things that we did in Alaska! My husband and I are still blown away by the views that we experienced!

Date of experience: September 2021
Reviewed 6 September 2021 via mobile

We loved our ride. I have never been on an ATV or a side by side so this was a big deal for me. I was a bit intimidated because others in the group were very experienced but the guides were fun and never made me feel bad.
At the last moment tho the others changed to side by sides and we were the only solos, so we changed to allow them to take us on a different trail. My husband drove and he did well. The machines we used were beasts. Trails were rugged and fun. The views amazing. Such a nice little lesson on the local area too thanks to our guides, Drago and Ed. They also took time to take our photos.
Lunch afterwards was nice too. Good variety and tasted good.
We are older adults and highly recommend this to families of all ages.

Reviewed 2 September 2021 via mobile

We had never driven ATVs. Igor was the perfect combination of knowledgeable & entertaining. He made sure that our small group all stayed together & we each laughed & learned together. The dinner was absolutely delicious.