“Picturesque Setting, Ducks in Pond”

El Molino de la Losa
Reserve with
El Molino de la Losa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 235 Restaurants in Avila
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 January 2018

Four of us all had different dishes, and food was very delicious. One of our companions had a problem because his steak was not cooked the way he requested, and had to send it back x2. It was a national holiday, the restaurant was very busy, and appeared to be short staffed. That being said, I truly think the staff was trying their very best to keep up.
My favorite thing was a white bean soup that was truly outstanding.
Very, very European experience, I highly recommend it!

Reviewed 11 September 2017

We were driving through Avila and found this restaurant for a stopover. It is very close to the viewpoint for Avila where you can stop and take photos of the walled town. El Molino is then located down a narrow lane with plenty of shaded parking if you arrive by car. It is an old Mill on a little stream so picturesque. We had a lovely waiter who was very charming and made us feel welcome. The food was good quality and large portions of typical local food.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

I see this place has garnered a lot of praise. I can say that it very warranted. Let my explain why...

Firstly, this restaurant is located in an old mill just outside the walls. It has great history and pictures showing its life as a mill before being a restaurant. Another plus? It is a local eatery, and I saw many Castilians/Spaniards eating here with their families. I even saw a group coming here for what look liked to be a first communion family affair so it must be popular with events like that.

Seating is one of three from what I saw: upstairs overlooking the water as it runs beneath you (the best I think), out by the waterway with a view of the bridge, and a garden patio area with a nice section of the river which is more akin to a stream there. This patio area is beautiful when it is sunny out, and there are even a couple ducks waddling around which made me consider!

But what about the food? It's so tasty, I ate here TWICE in a ROW. I shall detail them and what I ordered by day.

First Day: Ordered the "Arroz con Sepia, Rape, Gambas y Ali-Oli de Azafrán". At first it looks like paella, but it tastes different. I love the mix of the shrimp and monkfish(?). It's a really good combo. That saffron gives it that paella look, and the puddles of aioli are nice to smoother on the rice after a bite of the seafood. It was so good. Bread came out to with a selection of shapes and textures; dip it into the sherry vinegar, not just butter, you'll thank me later.

Whilst taking all this on, I asked for a wine typical of the region and the host gave me a glass of wine from the Duero River. Fantastic, I can taste the grapes of the Duero vineyards in it. I also ordered a bottle of mineral water to clean my pallet (yes, I went all out)

I didn't elect for dessert the first time, but a coffee. The host was so kind that he brought out a selection of liquor for me afterwards! There were three: a clear scotch-tasting like one, a yellow herbal tasting one (like yellow chartreuse), and my favorite, a red cherry liquor that was fitting to end with.

Second Day: I came back wanting fish, so I ordered the "Bacalao con Crema de Espinacas y Garbanzos Fritos" Wow that looked good, but wait, it even tasted better! The garbanzos tased nice and cripsy with a pleasant mushiness in the middle. It tasted like of the tapas I had down in Sevilla I had.The sauce surrounding the cod was dark and robust, very different from Bacalao in tomato sauce like I had in Bejar.

Had another wine from the Duero River and the same glass of bottled mineral water (I could get used to this...)

Then came the desert... "Bizcocho de chocolate con Helado de Naranja"

Just look at my pictures and that presentation was an A+++!. But oh boy, I had to eat it which hurt cause it looked so nice, just looking at it! The mint on the orange gelato was a well done touch, and with a dab of the chocolate, it was heavenly. Flanked by a batter of raspberries in a sea of cream, the experience was surreal. Oh yeah, the wafer was a nice touch too.

I had the same trio of liquors, stumbled back to my hotel and had a long siesta. Ahhhhh, I long to relive that!

Service was prompt and as expecting from a restaurant of this stature very attending.

I believe they open at one, and another reviewer is right, the Spanish eat at around 2-3.

In short? With a combo of delicious and beautiful food and a historical location unlike any other, its a must stop in Avila!

Reviewed 8 May 2017

Beautiful old watermill, just outside the walls, in a lovely setting. The food is fantastic, I had an amazing fish dish; but all our meals were first class. Service was efficient, top drawer and very friendly. The restaurant was traditional, clean & comfortable. Couldn't fault anything.

Reviewed 1 February 2017

It's not easy to find, and it is not spot in the center of avila, but el molino is a charmer. Located in a medieval mill along the river, the outside in spring or summer is delightful with gardens, cascades and plenty of ducks and geese swimming about.
The food and service are first rate. The roasted lamb is excellent, as well as the cheeses, hams and patatas revolcones....a mashed potato puree with paprika and other yummy piggy tidbits. Desserts are homemade and worth the calories.