“Breathtaking ”
Review of Douglas Mansion

Douglas Mansion
Ranked #2 of 39 things to do in Jerome
More attraction details
Owner description: This former home of a mining baron became a state park and a museum in 1965.
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

Even if your not intrested in learning the history, the is an amzaing place to see view .. it has so much history.

All reviews
"short film"
in 4 reviews
"interesting visit"

Reviewed 15 October 2017

We didn't get the chance to venture inside, on a time crunch. Yet, it has ample parking. Also the fee we found a little high. I am sure its lovely inside. We just walked the grounds.

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed our visit to the Douglas Mansion - started with the "ghost" narrated movie which made the history of the town painless to absorb, understand and put everything into context. It must have been a dreadful place to live in its heyday! Toured the interior exhibits and liked the fluorescent rock display hidden behind a curtain! Outstanding models of the mine shafts, levels, exploratory drilling probes and the terrain - totally amazing how the shafts went down over 4,000 ft to extract copper, gold, silver, zinc. Well worth visiting and beats all other local exhibits by far! $7 entry fee.

1  Thank northernneckinn
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Went to the Jerome State Historic Park otherwise known as the Douglas Mansion. Wow, very impressive. I knew nothing about the area and the mining history and I also am not one for museums or historic / educational stops while I'm on a relaxing vacation. I was traveling with friends who wanted to go there so I went along of course. And, I am so happy that I did. Every inch of the mansion was immaculately maintained and you can go from room to room and read about the history. They also have a little video to sit in that tells you all about historic Jerome and how it came to be. It was truly fascinating and I would totally go there again and recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 October 2017

This turned out to be a very interesting visit indeed. The house/museum is set on a site that has fantastic views of the valley and Jerome itself so that was a bonus to see. Museum mostly to do with mining with some furnished rooms where the family lived. Must have been shear luxury in the day with the centralised vacuum system for cleaning the rooms. Beautiful display of mineral rocks inside and out.
I wish we had known about the free shuttle bus system between the museum and Jerome town. Weekends only? As it was a Saturday we drove round Jerome twice in the hope of getting a parking place. Could have parked at museum and shuttled into town as bus stop directly outside museum but no timetable or info on the signboard itself.

Been to Douglas Mansion? Share your experiences!