All reviewsclean hotela breath of fresh airrestaurants and shoppinga ground floor roomfree statecrisp linenvery comfortable staychecking outrooms are spaciousattention to detailproteauniversityjdprotocolluggagetaxisbloem
Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

The hotel is modern - but it has no elevator.
The hotel has a pool - but the size and the style is more like a garden pond with fountains than a swimming pool.
In the pool area there are no facilities to change clothes, to shower, or a toilet.
The pool is dark and cannot really be called clean.
The rooms are more tiny than large.
The mini-bar is empty.
The meals at the restaurant are served by very friendly waitors and waitresses - but my god: we had to wait approx. a ½ hour, and there was no amuse-goeul or at least some bread with butter or olives to bridge this very long waiting period.
Altogether: for sure one of the best places in Bloemfontein - but, as stated in the title - you do not have too many choices...

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hartwig E
Siphiwe M, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2018

Dear Hartwig E,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent stay at the Protea Hotel by Marriott® Bloemfontein.

Your commendations are highly valued, I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up with the Kitchen manager and her TEAM. Remedial action has been taken to ensure that our GUESTS are not inconvenienced in this way again.We had a problem with our pool and I can assure you the pool is now nice and blue.

Thank you for the kind words about the restaurant and service received from Brigitte and Emanuel as well as the porter. They will be delighted to hear this.

Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Bloemfontein.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

After a long hard tiring drive it was good to get a warm helpful welcome. The lady was perfect in getting us checked in with minimal fuss and bother, we returned later to enquire about another hotel, for the end of our next leg the next day and it was no bother at all, she fixed us up and reserved the hotel in George for us. The room and toilet were spotless with a very comfortable bed. The hotel was well placed for the N1, about 2.5 Km from the road but the hotel was very easy to find and easy to leave in the morning and get back on to the N1. The food was fine but I did think breakfast was a little pricey. I would use the hotel again and can only thank the receptionist for all her help. I’m sorry I’ve forgotten her name, anyway thank you

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Siphiwe M, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Dear AlbertS,

So wonderful to read your lovely review on TripAdvisor, thank you for taking the time to write it.

I am delighted that we met your expectations, and that my STAFF took such good care of you and your family. We will definitely look at an A la Carte breakfast option for December / January period.

May you and your family have a blessed 2018, and hopefully we will be welcoming you back in the near future.

Have a lovely day further.

Kindest Regards

Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

Great, clean hotel with very good service. We had a very comfortable stay and it is good value for money. Breakfast has a great variety but the quality of the food can improve. Some of the dishes came across as if it stood too long. For what you pay I expected more. But other than that friendly and helpful staff, clean and wonderful.

Stayed: January 2018
1  Thank FrancoisedP
Siphiwe M, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Dear FrancoisedP,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Protea Hotel by Marriott® Bloemfontein with us.

On behalf of the STAFF and MANAGEMENT at Protea Hotel by Bloemfontein I would like to apologize most sincerely for your poor dining experience. Your feedback has been shared with our Food and Beverage management and the Head Chef TEAM and I wish to assure you that the necessary steps have been taken in ensuring that the quality of the food will improve.

I am however pleased to hear that our STAFF provided very good service. Thank you once again for letting us know what we did well and more importantly, where we can improve and we hope to serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Bloemfontein.

Sincerely

Reviewed 11 January 2018

I stayed overnight on my way from Cape Town back to Johannesburg. Due to traffic issues, we only booked in at 21:30 that night. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food we ordered was very good.
The hotel is very neat and has a very pleasant atmosphere. Our room was also very neat and spacious. The only problem was that we seemed to have been allocated a sauna!! The bathroom felt like it had underfloor heating. Needless to say, I had a VERY uncomfortable stay. I found out that we were above the kitchens.

I wouldn't mind staying there again, as long as I get allocated a different room. (or I stay in that room in Winter :-))

Room Tip: Don't stay in room above the kitchen, unless you are there in the winter.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ShaneE352
Siphiwe M, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Dear Shane E,

Thank you for posting your recent experience at the Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein on TripAdvisor.I am delighted to hear that you were happy with the overall look of the room. Your commendations are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated the TEAM for doing such an outstanding job!

Bloemfontein gets extremely hot and not having an air-conditioner that works properly is a major problem, and we apologise that you experienced this. addressed with the appropriate managers and STAFF to avoid this room allocation in the future.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

The Protea Hotel is part of the Marriott chain. We received a warm welcome from the young man on reception, and someone helped us with our luggage to our room. The rooms are standard Marriott fare, large comfy bed, plenty of pillows. Desk, hairdryer, TV, only one spare socket for charging stuff, tea and coffee making facilities. The en-suite bathroom has a bath, walk-in shower and sink with toiletries. Wi-Fi is good but there is a limit of 2 devices per room. We had good service in the bar but they ran out of gin! Fortunately, someone ran out to buy some more. :-) The restaurant is an interesting experience; all of the restaurant staff were lovely and friendly, we were served by a very helpful young lady called Flori. We ordered the Caesar Salad which was served as a normal salad with tomatoes, cucumber, onions - very tasty but no anchovies, no Caesar dressing, and no parmesan, i.e. it didn’t resemble a Caesar salad at all! We asked for black pepper but apparently they’d run out. We asked for the Lemon and Ginger cheesecake for dessert but again they’d run out (bear in mind the restaurant was almost empty). Apparently they’d also run out of Oxtail – not that we wanted it. My husband was disappointed not to have his JD and coke as a nightcap, as they’d also run out of Jack Daniels, despite there being an empty bottle on the shelf!! So we feel the stock controller really needs to improve their ordering system? Breakfast was good, chef available to poach eggs, choice of fruit, yogurt, cereals etc. Small pool surrounded by tables and chairs.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool will be quieter than overlooking the main road.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear VanninLady,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Protea Hotel by Marriott ® Bloemfontein. As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay.

We appreciate you bringing these shortcomings to our attention on TripAdvisor. On behalf of the MANAGEMENT and STAFF at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein, I would like to apologise most sincerely for your disappointing experience in the Food and Beverage department.With a spirit to serve, we take great pride in not only meeting but exceeding your expectations. Your detailed feedback has been shared with our management TEAM.

Thank you for taking the time to report your constructive criticism as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS experience our service and facilities. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations, as this helps us to improve your next stay.

Kind regards,