“Our Local Curry House”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 January 2017

Out of our local curry houses, Spiceburg for us offers the best flavour and ingredients this side of teh Scottish border! The flavours are typically consistently really good. Sometimes the intensity of heat can vary, in that a mild can one day be a mild and a month later will seem like an extra hot. I often think this may be more due to the intensity of the chillis used, but I do believe a good hchef takes this into account. Either way, I like it hot so if it's a bit hotter than normal, I don't mind. The flavours of dishes are consistent, the quality of the ingredients are great, and the service is always good with a smile. Happy smiley patrons make good clients, and in turn make happy smiley service! We've always had a good chat with our waiters. It loses a star from me for the drinks. The alcohol selection is good but this is an area where consistency lacks. This applies to on-tap beer as well as mixed cocktails, which, as far as most restaurants are concerned, isn't bad, but could do with improving. Food delivery is fast, and carry outs are as good as sit in.

This is my first choice for curry in and around the Greenside/Linden area.

Reviewed 13 November 2016

After returning from the Middle East, we have been looking for a place that serves great tasting real indian cuisine. We tried a whole bunch of restaurants and fast food joints around Johannesburg and non of them comes even close to the food we tasted at Spiceburg. Real good Indian food!! The service was also excellent and quick!! This restaurant is definitely a musti f you love genuine Indian cuisine!!

Reviewed 2 November 2016

We came here one week night and not much people in here ,bit of bummer that you get charged for rice and that it doesn't come standard ,neverless food was tasty ,interior is really smart looking and you can see chefs cooking

Reviewed 20 September 2016

In our quest of trying Indian foods at different restaurants in & around Jo’burg, we visited this place for a team dinner. The restaurant has a nice ambience and adequate sitting place. However, when we visited, there was limited crowd. We ordered rumali roti, aloo paratha, lamb biriyani, chicken tikka jalfezi & veg methi matar. Service was prompt and foods were served within reasonable time. The rates of the items were like lamb biriyani @ R120, main chicken dish @R84, veg dish @ R74, rumali roti @R18 etc., which are by & large comparable with the other Indian restaurants. However, it is another restaurant, that doesn’t serve rice along with main dishes The foods were tasty and service portions were reasonably large, we could not finish the entire food and had to pack one biriyani for take away. Spiceburg adds 10% of the bill value as gratuity in the bill. Nevertheless, by considering the food quality & taste, it is certainly a good option for tasty Indian foods and worth a visit.

Reviewed 26 August 2016

Spiceburg was one of our favourite Indian restaurants when I lived in Johannesburg and, after about a four year absence, I was happy to find it on a list of Halaal-friendly restaurants in Johannesburg while visiting with a Muslim colleague on a business trip.

The restaurant has changed location since my last visit and the new area is larger and smarter looking. It seems to have also increased its prices. Happily, the food did not disappoint and we had a delicious meal. We shared a Pepper Ghobi starter because I remembered how good it was - and it was still as good. My colleague had one of the curries with a roti while I had the lamb khorma with a cheese naan. Both of us were very happy with our meals and very full afterwards!