All reviews corporate hotel thoughtful touches south africa within walking distance place to stay loved our stay wonderful weekend b and b quiet neighborhood gardens are beautiful home from home big city each morning the main house guest house delia rusks
Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

Rutland House is located on 48 Rutland Avenue, Craighall Park, Johannesburg, South Africa. Delia is property's hostess and has owned the business for 20+ years. Rutland House is situated some 30 minutes drive from the airport and well worth the drive.

The Rutland House property is spacious and green with flowers aplenty and impeccably groomed by a garden manager. There is a pool onsite which guests are free to use.

Breakfast was included in our arrangement and guests can choose to eat in the common area or just outside on the pool deck. Breakfast consists of eggs, bacon rashers, fresh fruit, grilled mushrooms and tomatoes, cold cereal, coffee, tea, juice and yogurt. Breakfast is served between 7 and 9 am and cooked to order.

The rooms at Rutland House are perhaps better described as little cottages. Each with an outside bistro set where you can sit in the early morning sun and enjoy the complimentary tea and coffee offered in your room.

Our room was equipped with a microwave oven, small fridge, tea and coffee pots, sweet biscuits and candies. Bathrooms have the regular amenities such as shampoo, soap etc.

The bed was comfy and sheets, towels and linens are of high quality and are changed daily. The entire room was impeccably clean.

There are several restaurants in walking distance, offering an array of food choices and we felt very safe walking to and from the property.

The property itself is protected by various gates and CCTV which is typical of all properties in Johannesburg. We felt very comfortable and safe in and outside the property and Delia or her staff were always available to answer questions that we had.

If you are looking for a home away from home, I would highly recommend this accommodation for both business and adventure travellers alike. If we are ever in Johannesburg again we will positively come back to stay!

Thank you Delia (& staff) for a fantastic stay!!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2016

Thank you for such a lovely review. I really enjoyed having you to stay and was happy that I was your first stop for your epic trip. I hope the rest of your travels go well and I am extremely envious of you both. Go well and stay safe and see you next time.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

Rutland house was a lovely place to stay for our two nights in Joberg coming off of a transatlantic flight! Delia was incredibly accommodating, even driving us around the area and dropping us off at the car rental place. Breakfast was lovely as well. Coffee, rusks, fresh milk, and tea were all ready in the room when we arrived. Delicious café just down the road as well, amazing pizza and pasta. Highly recommend this place if you are looking for somewhere to stay!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2016

thank you so much for your lovely review Rachel.

It was such a pleasure having you to stay and I hope to see you again in the future.
I am pleased I could help you getting your car and settling you in for the start of your trip.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

Following the busy season back home, Rutland House B&B offered a great way for me to relax away from the usual hustle and bustle. Sara's breakfasts were delicious and I got to learn a new recipe . Delia offered and dropped me to my meeting destination during the cold mornings. The bird rests, pretty green compound and classic looking interior decoration were a plus. Thank you for going an extra mile Delia...Marian

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business

Marian, it was lovely having you to stay and such a pleasure to help you. Thank you for your kind words which I will also pass on to Sarah. I hope to see you again if you come on another accounting course. All the best till then.

Reviewed 11 July 2016

Very good family run B&B. Room was tidy and clean and we had everything we needed in the room from DSTV (cable tv), coffee and tea, rusks, etc. We stayed in winter and the heater and electrical blankets defnitley came in handy.

Breakfast was well prepared and we had a range of items to choose from. Can recommend and will def stay here in future.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Ryan,
Thank you for your very nice review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and were warm enough !!! I look forward to your next stay. till then keep well and all the best. delia

Reviewed 24 April 2016

I had booked my 9 day stay well in advance, had explained my special needs, as I wanted to recover in the vicinity of Sandton Clinic from a hip replacement until the infection risk was banned. Delia had agreed upfront to provide a microwave and extension cord for my laptop, even offered me to do some food shopping for me. She also agreed to provide me with supper as I was unable to go out. That all sounded wonderful, the many brilliant reviews reassured me in my choice.
When I visited Rutland House before the op, all expectations were met: Wonderful lush gardens, nice English country style, everything neat and very clean, quiet road, good security. As I have lived myself in Randburg for 17 years I was used to this kind of setting, was looking forward to my stay.
The surprise came, when I arrived from hospital, walking on two crutches. My en suite bathroom had a shower, which I could not access (VERY high, too dangerous step) and in the room and patio was not one stable chair on which I could sit comfortably.
On the first evening Delia came to my room, saw my operated, still badly swollen leg, told me that it does not look fine and that she hopes that I will make it through the night. Then she informed me that she is always switching off her phone after 7pm.
What a contrast to the next accommodation, where I spent the following two weeks recovering: There the owner told me immediately that he is 24 hours available in case I was in need of something.
Luckily I recovered fast. The one girl did her best to make my stay at Rutland House pleasant, but the microwave and extension cord were never provided, the dinner was with one exception barely edible {defrosted soup with unidentifiable ingredients), Delia left soon after my arrival for a safari and I never got to see the person, who came to replace her.
In total contrast to my experiences, I witnessed how some genuine overseas visitors were courted, their every need attended to, even if they asked for an extra clean or complained about ants. I had the impression that these are the distinguished guests, who are then asked to comment favourably on tripadvisor.
When Delia very harshly demanded on the last evening, that I do not make too much noise with my suitcase on my early departure, I felt humiliated, as I am a very caring, considerate person by nature.
My conclusion: If you are an ordinary African resident you might be treated as a second class visitor and if you have special needs: Better stay away!
BUT: If you are a very demanding tourist from far, this is definitely the right place to go!

Room Tip: Butterfly Room seemed to me the nicest.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo

Thank you for your review Stella which took you a year to write.
As a result quite a lot of the review is inaccurate. We did go out of our way to accommodate your needs but there was no way of pleasing you. Since about 80% of my guests are "ordinary African residents" from South Africa and many other African countries, and return time and again, some returning for more than 18 years, this is another misconception you had. I will say no more and let the future guests make their own minds up. Delia