This guest house was my first stop in Africa, and was a prelude to a two week safari I was about to undertake.
I don't know which I found most charming when I walked through the gate after a grueling 24 hour journey from Montreal, the guest house itself, or its owner Delia. There are only seven rooms in the house, which means that your stay is above all quiet, and peaceful. The grounds themselves are spectacular, with trees, gardens, and flowers everywhere. A "bird tree" in the main garden of the breakfast room enchants the guest with calls from their inhabitants.
The rooms are well laid out and comfortable, with all of the necesary features, microwave, stop top, fridge, coffee and tea maker, biscuits, and all you need. The rooms are very clean, beds comfortable, and are well appointed.
The staff, including the owner of the guest house, are attentive to your every need and will make breakfast for you in the morning. The breakfast is much more than cold cereals and toast. A freshly prepared papaya was waiting when I arrived, and eggs, toast, juice and coffee are served. All was great.
There are also a couple of excellent and modestly priced restaurants within a safe walking distance. Try the CPR Café at the end of the street.
All in all, I was delighted with my stay, and would recommend Rutland House unreservedly to our readers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Delia Ferguson has been extending a warm welcome to her guests since 1995. Rutland House is centrally situated in a lush half acre garden between Sandton, Rosebank, Hyde Park and Randburg. All the suites and cottages are set away from the main house, each with it's own private patio or garden. The 2 bedroom cottage is ideal for families or long stays. The one bedroom cottage is perfect for the business traveller on a contract. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Rutland House Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rutland House Hotel Johannesburg
- Rutland House Bed And Breakfast