US$134
  • Breakfast included
US$90
US$67
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$78/night.

US$51
US$164
US$71
US$58
Agoda.com
Morning Star Express Hotel(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
US$41
US$34
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$42/night.

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 November 2015

The catch phrase "a home away from home" was a the source of my smirk since I had heard it all before and I did not find the magic substitute for home.

However, when I visited Cornerstone Guest Lodge (CGL) on Saturday 28 November with my lovely wife who had just turned 56, I realised that the other establishments could not get it right since the personal touch was sadly lacking. However, CGL was not just some concoction of bricks, mortar, tiles and other embellishments only. CGL had real people behind its walls and this made all the difference.

The CGL experience commenced outside the establishment as I parked my car. Lyn, the owner, began waving the invisible magic wand by welcoming me as she bade farewell to a guest who was departing.

When we got to the reception area we were greeted by Barbara, who was as effervescent as my two young children with an equally keen sense of humour. After an efficient check in process, we were shown to our rooms, not by a porter but by Barbara herself.

We were then offered coffee ( good filter coffee) and we engaged in good conversation like we knew each other for years. It was during this conversation that we informed them that it was my wife's birthday and we celebrated our 33rd wedding anniversary four days previously. After receiving compliments on our milestone (of course, the female bias prevailed and my wife got the lion's share - it being her birthday and all!), Barbara asked me to follow her. I was taken to the Executive Suite and I was told that I was being "upgraded" because of the happy occasions, together with a chilled bottle of champagne, at NO extra cost!

The Executive suite was the ultimate luxury, with a king size bed, a Jacuzzi, bidet, a fully equipped kitchen, a balcony and a luxurious lounge. Of course embellishments such as the big screen television, DSTV, a DVD player and a good old fashioned hi-fi were welcome features, especially for the male of the species.

The bathrobes, the roomy shower, the ironing alcove, the washing machine and dryer and the sumptuous leather lounge suite made this a birthday that is indelibly etched in both our psyches for many years hence!

The lodge boasts many areas of relaxation. The outside are boasts two swimming pools, a boma, tennis courts and well maintained lawns. The lounge area was most relaxing and also had tons of tasteful reading material and entertaining board games.

When we went out that evening, the security detail ensured that we could leave and enter the premises safely and without much stress, thanks for a well functioning remote controlled gate.

The breakfast the next morning completed the picture of domestic bliss. Once again we encountered Barbara at the breakfast venue and she also enquired about our stay and, of course, the breakfast.

Ironically, we left the lodge with lots of nostalgia and we were tempted to indulge for another night, until reality stepped in with work commitments and a call to the lodge from our daughter, enquiring why we were not home yet!

We got home and shared wonderful memories with our children about a memorable one-night stay that appeared to have been a month and shared our experiences about new-found family members!

Room Tip: The Executive suite is a must have!
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Lyn569, Owner at Cornerstone Guest Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2015

Dear Yuven
Thank you for allowing us to have been able to contribute a small part to making your stay enjoyable. We felt very honoured to host both of you whilst you celebrated your anniversary and your wife’s birthday. Few people in today’s age actually take the time to enjoy special moments and occasions. Thank you for the wonderful review but when one meets such amazing people like yourselves - It is such a pleasure to treat you beyond expectation. We look forward to your return someday and should you be in our area - Please pop in for a coffee.
Loads of love - Lyn & staff [I can proudly say that my team is wonderful]

Reviewed 12 November 2015

This is a well managed guest house with 16 rooms well situated near the CSIR, the N1 and Lynnwood Bridge. Excellent bed and room amenities. Great breakfast. I did not receive any WiFi information nor was there free reception. Two very nice pools on the property. Great stay.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Lyn569, Owner at Cornerstone Guest Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2015

Dear Neil
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. It was our pleasure to host you and would be delighted to have you stay with us again. Regarding the internet, I do apologize for not offering you the code, as we do in fact have wireless internet throughout the guesthouse.
Hope to see you again soon
Warm regards - Lyn & Staff - Cornerstone Guest Lodge

Reviewed 29 October 2015 via mobile

We booked to stay at the Cornerstone Lodge at the beginning and end of our holiday on the Rovos Train. We were met by Lyn at the airport and taken to the accommodation which was lovely and peaceful. Lyn and Barbara were lovely and nothing was too much trouble. We were taken to the local shopping mall where we had a lovely lunch at Col’Caccho Pizzeria. I would certainly recommend Cornerstone and will certainly go back when next visiting SA.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family

Dear Ian & Jackie
As I browsed the reviews I realized that we did not reply to your review. I trust that you have already been to a couple of other destinations and that you hopefully still have your visit to SA as one of the best. As Christmas approaches’, we often think of our guests we hosted throughout the year and on behalf of my team and me we would like to thank you for making the Cornerstone the start and stop to your wonderful Rovos trip. Ian we want to wish you well with your back and Jackie, enjoy the shopping spree this time of year.
Kindest regards - Lyn & Team -

Reviewed 28 September 2015

We have been staying at Cornerstone Guesthouse a fairly regular basis for the past 4 years and have never been disappointed. The owner Lyn runs a fine establishment and ensures that guests receive friendly and quality service. The rooms are spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2015 via mobile

Our first time in South Africa and Lyn gave us a very warm welcome. It's a nice guest house with very friendly and helpfull staff. Would definatelly recommend this guest house. Thanks Lyn for the great service and maybe till next time ☺

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family