“Dissapointing!”

Cuisines: International, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 March 2017

Trainee chef Kyle was on duty at lunchtime, a very pleasant young man but he should have been supervised. Asked if there was fresh line fish he disappeared for a few minutes & returned with the answer only one portion but he failed to find out what fish it was. Two of us ordered duck which was too small a portion & way too dry & the 3rd member of our party had the dishwasher steak which was overcooked. At 13.30 the manager, clearly dressed for the beach & a tad rude, indicated we needed to order deserts as the kitchen was closing. Needless to say we didn't bother & moved to another venue to finish our wine. No wonder there wasn't another patron in the restaurant!

Shaun S, Owner at Fusion, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2017

I am truly sorry that your dining experience was not up to standard. I have dealt with the parties concerned, and apologise for us seriously dropping the ball. Unfortunately Kyle is indeed a trainee, and I have not showed him this review for his own sake as he would be really gutted and it would profit him little to stress about his role in this - other than to say, as a chef trainee he should have been aware of the fish of the day. Correctly said, I believe the rest was a failure of supervision. I believe you were given a bottle of wine in compensation for the comedy of errors on our part, and I hope in part that gesture was accepted in good faith for our blunder. We certainly hope to see your return under more favourable circumstances. Once again, apologies for dropping the ball. kind regards, Chef Shaun.

Reviewed 8 April 2016

Its a little pricey for the quality of food.

The chef was also drunk as a skunk when he came out to ask about the food. Not a problem to me, as i was packing away the drinks too, but its maybe not very professional - for this reason, i will not rate this as a family friendly restaurant

I liked the dry ice ice cream, that was cool.

TBH though, unless the prices were lowered, I would not visit again.

1  Thank Jessie_swan
Shaun S, Owner at Fusion, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2016

Hi Jessie

Thank you for your review... However I am a bit concerned about this drunk chef that you mention that 'he came out', as all my chefs are female.... only my front of house manager is male.

I would really appreciate you making contact with me via email on shaunsmith@fusioncooking.co.za. many thanks. shaun

Reviewed 24 November 2015 via mobile

My husband wanted to go somewhere a bit different for his birthday last night, and Fusion is really the only place in Durban that can't be categorized into any "standard" cuisine. The food is interesting and just a bit more exciting than the usual popular places. We started with some tapas, delicious although I thought they were a little too salty. Our mains were great (duck and the Mexican dishwasher steak), but brought to our table at different times. Same problem with dessert, mine only came well after my husband had finished his. We found that rather annoying, especially as the restaurant was quite empty. I think the chef that evening was from the chef school, so maybe something to improve on there..? Would definitely go back for the great food and otherwise great service though.

Reviewed 26 October 2015

I cannot understand why this place is not busier! Situated almost next to Durbans famous Cafe 99, I have had the occasion to eat there as well and decided to visit this restaurant for a special anniversary celebration.What a discovery- we had the restaurant literally to ourselves almost walking out as we thought it was tooquiet to be good. Thank Goodness we stayed. One of the most delicious vegetarian dishes I have had in this place - the pasta (can't remeber the exact name) in creamy delicious sauce. My husband had an even more incredible experience with his meal. Being a special occasion, the waiters went out of their way to present a visual delight of desserts with etheral ice smoke coming from the dessert and blue drinks non alcoholic. I could not understand why this Chef's training restaurant, is so underarrated and not well marketed..its is an amazing discovery, beautifully presented with scented hand towels. Compared to Cafe 99 - this experience was far more superlative from a taste and experience point of view. It deserves alot more exposure!! But perhaps this is the charm of the space,,and that only the ones who discovered it can go back for more and more. This is the place we take businees colleagues to and special family occasions undoubtedly.

Reviewed 14 October 2015

One-of-a-kind restaurant, wish there were more of them in Durban! Unusual dishes (dishwasher fillet / colour-changing soup / ice cream frozen at your table with liquid nitrogen), diverse flavour combinations, and all extremely delicious. An excellent restaurant and well worth a visit!

1  Thank roselee85