Free cancellation until 27/07
US$106
Ascot Inn(Pietermaritzburg)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$37
Babbling Brook Bed and Breakfast(Pietermaritzburg)(Great Value!)
US$61
Ukuthula Lodge(Pietermaritzburg)
US$99
US$88
  • Pool
Redlands Hotel and Lodge(Pietermaritzburg)
Free cancellation until 24/07
Orbitz.com
Bancroft B&B(Pietermaritzburg)
US$74
US$71
Ascot Bush Lodge(Pietermaritzburg)(Great Value!)
US$44
US$533
US$355
All reviewsquiet areapatrickpropertyroomsaccommodation
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and I recently attended a conference in Pietermaritzburg and we stayed two nights at Brevisbrook Guesthouse. Dave and Normaine were perfect hosts and made us feel very at home. The cottage we stayed in was spacious and very comfortable. I appreciated the attention to detail like having a microwave in the room was great and an umbrella came in handy for the rainy weather. The breakfasts were great and overall we had a wonderful time. We felt completely safe and secure. This guesthouse was well priced and offered good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Generous and giving hosts Dave and Normaine went out of their way to help us get the most from our short three days in the Pietermaritzburg region; Dave even gave us a guided tour of the town centre in his car, and a lift to the local Botanical Gardens :)

The house / accommodation is a once-private residence expanded some 20 years ago to make a cute five-apartment B&B - all with en-suites and living areas. The grounds are secluded and somewhat of a beauty spot - including a wonderful little brook / stream with a picnic table beside. With regards to a previous commenter remarking on the 'old fashioned' décor; it is a little twee but personally my wife and I love this kind of b&b - unpretentious and authentic. The cook and cleaner Lillian serves us extremely tasty breakfasts every morning, and we found our room tidy and clean every day.

Would heartily recommend a stay here. Ironically because Pietermaritzburg isn't exactly much of a tourist spot, Brevisbrook's main custom are professionals on their way somewhere else - but you could spend a week chilling out in this quiet and pretty little base. Look out for the cheeky monkeys that come sometimes during the day - harmless and they don't get too close, but a treat to see them scurrying along the branches. Thanks again for your hospitality Dave and Normaine!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Hidden behind the high security gates is an elegant private home that is this B&B. The property is lovingly maintained and is lush with green foliage and flowers and is even home to a babbling creek hidden behind and below the main house. Hosts Dave and Normaine truly understand the art of hospitality. Upon arrival we were welcomed with fresh coffee and biscuits which we savoured on our patio enjoying by the welcoming songs of the birds and the overall serenity of the home. Breakfast was a full English breakfast plus plus plus! Everything is spotlessly maintained inside and out. Truly a gem.As travel agents highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We stayed at Brevisbrook for two nights in April 2011. The owners Dave and Normaine Short were extremely friendly, accommodating and helpful and the breakfasts are superb. The two rooms we stayed in were, however, rather disappointing.

Firstly the furniture in the rooms are all very old and the beds, mattresses and bathrooms in particular are in need of an upgrade. The sheets were clean but unfortunately I found a live spider in between the sheets when I opened them on the first night so I was a bit wary.

We also found a number of unidentifiable bugs in our rooms. These had small bodies with feelers (cockroaches perhaps?) In addition there was a dead fishmoth in my shower on the first night which was still there on the second night, which indicated that the shower hadn't been cleaned. There was also dirt in the toilet which hadn't been cleaned though I pointed this out to the cleaner

As we were unhappy the owners kindly agreed that we could check out early and remained helpful and friendly which was a great credit to them.

All in all I would say that we chose the wrong bed and breakfast. We are accustomed to modern comforts and a high standard of hygiene and this was sadly lacking in the rooms we stayed in.

(Note that we were charged R700 per room per night and that the modern four-star hotel in Scottsville which we moved to charged R780 per room per night.)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I stayed in Brevisbrook Guesthouse in May. It has a fantastic location in the hills 6 km above Pietermaritzburg. I arrived late as my taxi driver was unable to find Brevisbrook so check this with your taxi driver beforehand. My bedroom was very spacious with starched white bed linen, an ensuite bathroom and a separate entrance which lead onto the garden. The surrounding gardens were superb, the vegetation was lush and imaginative. Brevisbrook is located on a quiet country road. The owners were very friendly.

The big bonus was the free traditional South African breakfast. All in all it was superb value and a real pleasure to visit. I would certainly return.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo