“It IS the Center of the Hopi Reservation”

and 1 more site!
Hopi Cultural Center Restaurant & Inn
Reviewed 12 March 2017

First, Second, and Third Mesa's make up most of the Hopi Reservation in the middle of the Navajo Reservation. The Hopi Cultural Center on Second Mesa really is a center...both geographically and because there is no other restaurant, hotel, or public historic spot (the museum and Time Capsule). We stayed here, ate dinner/breakfast here, started our tour of the three Mesa's with a Hopi guide here, and we saw a bit of the Museum.
The hotel is basic, but fine...clean and quiet with TV, compact fridge, and two single beds. The reception staff were pleasant. We found that the restaurant is a sort of gathering place (there's no where else) with a good menu and inexpensive choices. I like lamb and thought I'd try the Hopi favorite noqkwivi (a sort of lamb soup/stew). I hope it's better elsewhere because I would NOT recommend it here. It was watery and tasteless, and the small amount of corn and lamb in it were so overcooked they had no flavor or texture left at all. I got laughing so hard about how bad it was I almost choked.
The hotel office has T shirts and some interesting Hopi crafts for sale. The museum/cultural center is good.
This is also where we obtained a list of Hopi guides, which we used to find a guide who took us around Second and Third Mesas. It was an amazing tour, and I highly recommend it. (We couldn't go to first Mesa since it was closed for the month due to special ceremonies that were beginning.)

Room Tip: We liked the sunniness of our second floor corner unit, but in the heat of summer may have preferred...
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seasoned L

Reviewed 9 March 2017

The rooms are average the service super the restaurant was fantastic more than we could eat at a very reasonable price. They offed both Traditional Hopi meals and standard. You have to have the blue corn fry bread.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jerry R
Reviewed 9 February 2017

The Cultural Center offers the only accommodation for 50 miles in any direction. You would expect that they would exercise this power through monopoly pricing, but they do not. The motel is clean, and comfortable. The on site restaurant offers of robust selection of native dishes, plus more contemporary American cuisine. Both the motel and the restaurant are priced fairly. The staff are friendly, welcoming and curious about your visit. Highly recommended for families and adventurous travelers.

Stayed: January 2017
Reviewed 22 January 2017

I had stayed here before and have noticed a gradual improvement in the facility over time. But on this stay the improvements seemed to go awry. The mattress on the bed was way too soft leaving my back hurting in the mornings. I am not sure if they were old or just too soft to begin with. Previously there were too few outlets for the increasing number of electrical amenities being added for customer comfort. Several multi outlet plugs are now being used, so there is no lack for outlets, if you need some. But the multi-plug unit plugged into the wall across from the bed, beside the TV, had two bright, lime green lights which shown into the bed at night. I had to arrange pillows over them to sleep. And the air conditioner, doubling as heater, was too loud. You would just get to sleep after the unit went off to be woken when the temperature cooled and the fan came on again. I was disappointed in my stay, but they ae trying to make advances.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 December 2016

An excellent place to begin a tour of the Hopi Mesas, offering both traditional Hopi meals and comfortable lodging. The Hopi Indians and their ancestors are Native Americans who have lived in Northwestern Arizona for thousands of years. Information suggests that the name 'Hopi' is translated to mean 'peaceful person'. Located in Northern Arizona, the Hopi Reservations encompasses approximately 1.5 million acres. Hopi land rises up 7,200 feet, offering panoramic views of the surrounding low-altitude desert.

The lodging is clean and comfortable with a restaurant that serves their traditional cuisine and some American fare which includes a few Mexican dishes. My husband and I are adventurous where food is concerned and we have ordered their Lamb Hominy Soup with Fried Corn Breads and Chillied Beans which turn out well. We find the staff to be helpful and friendly and the server was apologetic enough when he was unable to get us a salad at the beginning of our meal. Apparently the kitchen did not have enough greens for the evening to whip out a salad.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple

Been to Hopi Cultural Center Restaurant & Inn? Share your experiences!