“Serendipity is Sublime - Go and Eat There”

Serendipity Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Wilderness
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 25 February 2018

We've found food, drink, hospitality to be of a really high standard in South Africa and perhaps the best example on our recent trip was at Serendipity.

A quick word on perseverance - I came across the restaurant on TripAdivsor, read the reviews, wanted to try it and so I tried to book and failed to get in. It was full. I went on a waitlist. Also full. I said I'd be happy to eat outside. Wasn't happening. Failed again. Until late on the afternoon that we were due to dine I got an email saying "Ok, we have an outside table for you" and so we scrapped our amended plans and went along and I'm really glad that we did.

It's a beautiful little spot on the lake just around the road from the centre of Wilderness. I haven't seen it in the day time but the house has a lovely warm glow from the street at night and the interior is really good - stylish and homely.

We were greeted with a warm welcome and taken through the restaurant to the veranda out at the back to have an aperitif.

This turned out to be as much 'inside' as 'outside' in that it's a covered veranda looking onto the lit garden and the edge of the lake - it's a great place for a pre-dinner drink and we thought it was quite a magical place to actually eat dinner.

From there, everything was about as near to a perfect evening eating out as you can get.

We got a run through of the menu from Rudolf who seemed to have single-handedly caught, trapped, grown or foraged for every item that we were eating and it was a lot of fun hearing about it ;-)

Once into dinner, service was fantastic. It was a really well-paced meal, everything turned up when it should, nothing got forgotten and it must take a bunch of hard work to make that all happen and yet you don't notice. It all feels so relaxed and easy like falling off a log.

And the food? It was stunning. We had one of the best meals that we've had in a very long time and I'm still wondering if there's a way that I can get another plate of that beef :-)

To pull it all together - if I am anywhere near Wilderness again, I'll try very hard to go and eat at Serendipity and best wishes to all the team who run such a fabulous place.

1  Thank Mike T

Reviewed 23 February 2018

We went for our annual dinner to Serendipity and again had a most enjoyable evening. The whole experience was excellent with great food, wine, presentation and service. My one suggestion for improvement would be to decant the red wine served with the beef. It was an old wine and my glass poured from a half full bottle was full of sediment. The wine would have improved from being decanted and allowed to breath before serving in my humble opinion. A minor point that did not take away from another most enjoyable evening.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

Entertaining presentation before meal explaining the menu. Meal itself was delightful. Courteous waiters who new all about the food.

Reviewed 12 February 2018

Serendipity was recommended to us by fellow travellers. They only do a limited number of covers (about 26) so you need to reserve ahead of your date. We dined on a cold evening so weren't lucky enough to have the real benefits of aperatifs on the terrace and the associated outlook at the rear of the property. The menu is a 5 course Table d'Hote style (with or without wine pairings - we went without) but that included the soup and the palate cleanser (both excellent). The pate starter was very tasty. We both had the yellowtail fish mains. It was explained in advance that the chef preferred to cook this fish on both outside surfaces leaving the middle third underdone. This was ok but meant that the course wasn't served, for me, at a high enough temperature. However, the mild curry sauce gave the dish an added tang. For desserts we had one of each, both S African style. One was a cake soaked in a very sweet honey sauce with other interesting flavourings; the other was a lovely pineapple with a coconut coating. Both were delicious. The service was excellent. For us this was a very good experience but it's worth browsing the menu before trying to book to make sure the limited menu will suit your taste. It did for us!

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

It all started with our shuttle taxi arriving on time organised by restaurant. Would definitely recommend this transport as it is very reasonable and it means you can relax and enjoy the meal.
After arriving we were gathered together and offered a complimentary aperitif. Whilst enjoying this our host explained the menu.
Our starters were Snoed fish pate and a Waldorf salad with beef tongue both delicious. We then enjoyed tomato consommé, tender springbok loin and succulent yellow tail fish. We finished with banana and honeycomb brûlée and cardamom sago and coconut milk custard.
All paired with wonderful local wines.
The staff are fully informed and very passionate about the food and wine.
It was a real treat. So if you are going to Wilderness make sure you book this restaurant in advance to avoid any disappointment. A true highlight of our holiday.