“Where’s the sixth star?”

Serendipity Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 32 Restaurants in Wilderness
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

Loved this place. Friendly owners, delicious food , great wine pairings and not too formal. I had the kudu sausage, springbok tartar and ostrich steak ( when in ZA.........) whilst my wife had great vegetarian options. Book early and enjoy.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Indyalien

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

we first came in 2002.
we loved it.
we returned twice with our sons, and today just the two of us again.

the menu was nice and tasty, the staff was stunning, fair prices!

We love to spent perfect evenings with perfect meals.

olive-oil foam (how to do that?) with bread
delicious risotto
tasty soup
slurphy ❤️❤️❤️
lovely linefish
decadent chocolate....
nothing was missing
nothing to complain about

when you are convinced to hate certain things like dill or fennel and like it in a dish, life is good!

we were just reading the negative reviews (mostly by germans, we must admit!), which made us laugh (and feel a little bit embaressed)

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank lovelysabine
Reviewed 25 March 2018

We had a lovely meal here. The attention to detail and service was second to none. The enthusiasm from the couple who own the resteraunt was fantastic.
The food itself was on the whole excellent with a few very minor issues. The sauce with my steak was reduced so much you could varnish wood with it. The flavour was far too strong and sickly and overpowered everything. The steak itself was very good but I have had better. My partner had fish for main and it was delicious. Everything else was excellent.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

We visited Serendipity tonight without expectations and it was like a pice of music: composed with so many colors and flavors, perfect vine recommendations and a good portion of entertainment by the chef.

We don’t understand other guests critics. It’s absolute worth to get inspired by the best restaurant in Wilderness/South Africa and the love and passion by Lizelle Stolze and her amazing team.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 25 February 2018

We've found food, drink, hospitality to be of a really high standard in South Africa and perhaps the best example on our recent trip was at Serendipity.

A quick word on perseverance - I came across the restaurant on TripAdivsor, read the reviews, wanted to try it and so I tried to book and failed to get in. It was full. I went on a waitlist. Also full. I said I'd be happy to eat outside. Wasn't happening. Failed again. Until late on the afternoon that we were due to dine I got an email saying "Ok, we have an outside table for you" and so we scrapped our amended plans and went along and I'm really glad that we did.

It's a beautiful little spot on the lake just around the road from the centre of Wilderness. I haven't seen it in the day time but the house has a lovely warm glow from the street at night and the interior is really good - stylish and homely.

We were greeted with a warm welcome and taken through the restaurant to the veranda out at the back to have an aperitif.

This turned out to be as much 'inside' as 'outside' in that it's a covered veranda looking onto the lit garden and the edge of the lake - it's a great place for a pre-dinner drink and we thought it was quite a magical place to actually eat dinner.

From there, everything was about as near to a perfect evening eating out as you can get.

We got a run through of the menu from Rudolf who seemed to have single-handedly caught, trapped, grown or foraged for every item that we were eating and it was a lot of fun hearing about it ;-)

Once into dinner, service was fantastic. It was a really well-paced meal, everything turned up when it should, nothing got forgotten and it must take a bunch of hard work to make that all happen and yet you don't notice. It all feels so relaxed and easy like falling off a log.

And the food? It was stunning. We had one of the best meals that we've had in a very long time and I'm still wondering if there's a way that I can get another plate of that beef :-)

To pull it all together - if I am anywhere near Wilderness again, I'll try very hard to go and eat at Serendipity and best wishes to all the team who run such a fabulous place.

Date of visit: February 2018