All reviewssun citygame drivestime sharewatering holebush lodgebreakfast and dinnerlambelectric fenceyour doorstepwater holewild animalsgame reservebuffet styletennis courtssouth africagame parkself drive
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We had a great time here with the family in a nice location not very far from Johannesburg with lots of game and great lodge and room with great bathroom and good choice of meals. The special drives for kids are very interesting and teaching and offer many nice game viewing including the predators.

Room Tip: Select room at the ground floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed here with my wife and 4 year old daughter for two nights (9&10 January 2013). I am an active wheelchair user bit found some areas of the hotel quite hilly and the paths are made of bricks and can be very uneven in places. We were offered a wheelchair accessible room but as is common with these rooms the outlook wasn't upto much. The breakfast buffet is excellent, dinner was limited to two choices of meat but there were plenty of salads and veggies available. We didn't take the game drives included in our package as the age restriction for kids is 6 years old. However, we had hired a car and so did our own. It's not too difficult to find the animals and the rangers on the park gate are very helpful pointing you in the right direction. The hotel is very nice but looking a little tired in places. The service was very goodThis was our first trip back to South Africa in 4 years and we noticed that standards were slipping all across S.A. So you need to remember that African 4/5 star is not the same as in Europe. Best of all you won't meet a herd of 38 elephants on the small road to your hotel even in 5 star Europe

Room Tip: We had room 508 with two double beds on the ground floor but you do have to go up and down a couple of stairs to get there. View was of a grass bank with a glimpse of the pool. If you are going to book check with the hotel that they don't have a conference on during your planned stay. There were alot of adverse comments about this in the visitor's book.
2  Thank richard g
Reviewed 18 January 2013

This was our first visit to a game lodge and was a fantastic introduction. We had the benefit of friends who hosted us in one of the cottages and stayed for 3 nights . We were driven around the park by our friends who had been many times so knew the best places for games. This is the best way to do it and perfectly safe . The cottage was extremely comfortable and whilst we mainly self catered , we did try the buffet style restaurant one night and this was wonderful and very authentic. The cottage was well equipped and both bedrooms en suite. We had our own patio area and BBQ.i would recommend this place to anyone visiting this area.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank AnneA336
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Our party of 2 families have recently returned from a most enjoyable stay in Bakubung. The location is great, not too far from Johannesburg or Pretoria and they house the Big 5 in the Pilansberg Reserve. The hotel is clean, comfortable and perfectly adequate. The staff are helpful and obliging. We enjoyed the breakfasts, but the dinners were adequate, but not outstanding, mainly the usual buffet style dinner, each night. There were morning and evening game drives, and these were the highlight. The rangers Robert and Peter were particularly good and certainly made the drives more interesting. However, we had 2 drives with casual drivers and they were really poor, not knowing sufficient facts and inadequately trained, so beware if you get a casual ranger!! All in all, a great getaway

3  Thank howards2010
Reviewed 10 January 2013

My family recently stayed at Bakubung for 3 nights. Being Canada and having never done something like this I was going into it not really knowing what to expect but I was blown away by the experience.

The rooms and the property are very clean and well taken care of. While there is only one option for food I heavily enjoyed the buffet breakfast and dinners. I consider myself a picky eater and I was worried about finding food I liked but it was not a problem whatsoever. The safari's were fun and the guides were very knowledgeable. We were able to see the standard set of animals (elephants, rhinos, impalas, baboons, giraffe, zebra ect) plus we saw lions 3 times and the cheetahs.

I would definitely recommend this lodge to others looking for a safari experience.

4  Thank feesh13