“Wonderful bone in fillet”
Review of Nelson's Eye

Nelson's Eye
Ranked #22 of 1,294 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

I was not disappointed when coming here. The service was wonderful and my bone in fillet was very good. Not to mention all the sides. I would come back for sure!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

Reviewed 20 January 2018

We visit this restaurant every time we holiday in Cape Town and it never disappoints. We have always booked in advance as it is extremely busy. The cooks on the grill are amazing and always produce excellent food. This will always be one of our must visit restaurants.

Reviewed 16 January 2018 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend dined here after reading a review of Nelson's eye but we were utterly disappointed with this restaurant. Upon arriving we actually thought we were in the wrong restaurant as it looked like an English pub... Terrible seating environment. The steaks were probably the worst we had in Cape Town. All I could taste was vinegar... the marinade was awful. We definitely won't be returning again

1  Thank The_OG_London_Legend
Robyn L, Guest Relations Manager at Nelson's Eye, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Dear The_OG_London_Legend

Thanks for your input and opinion. We are not accustomed to replying on Tripadvisor and anyone is free to express their views, but we would like to take the opportunity to respond, for the benefit of those reading your post.

With regard to seating we have 4 different areas. At the front of the restaurant is our high performance grill area, which caters for the patron who would like to see the action and preparation behind the grill. This area accommodates 26.

We then have the fishtank area which caters for approximately 40 people. Then Nelson’s Eye’s Pine room caters for another 26 and a bar restaurant area upstairs which caters for another 24 people. On a fair weather evening we have outdoor facilities too.

All these areas cater for two seaters in different designs - some are benches and others are loose seats and we apologise that you could not find desirable seating.

When it comes to our grilling and cooking we have nothing to hide. It is an open kitchen and we definitely do not use vinegar or marinade meat.

We do use a basting sauce which is traditionally south African again not carrying any vinegar whatsoever. We are a retro 60’s restaurant and that’s what we strive to be and maintain those standards as such.

Unfortunately, we obviously didn’t cater for your requirements of the evening.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

The steaks are amazing and the service was good, very busy restaurant so make a reservation to avoid a disappointment .

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

Nicest steak I think I have ever had in my life!! Don’t be put off by the exterior of this place it is so worth going in!!! Very attentive staff, our waiter even rang a cab to take us home. Gorgeous wine list and really nice atmosphere. It is busy so u do need to make a reservation this is so easy though as I could do this online and they responded to me within 3 minutes confirming the booking. Couldn’t rate this place highly enough, food atmosphere and staff were all amazing.