“Fantastic fish & superb service ”
Review of Miller's Thumb

Miller's Thumb
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

Between 12 & 16 June, I took 2 groups of international guests to Miller's Thumb and both times we were enchanted. Superb service, incredible fish and wonderful wine! A must do whilst in Cape Town.

Date of visit: June 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (2,006)

Reviewed 17 June 2017

Yes, it lived up to the lofty TripAdvisor reviews..

The dining experience from greeting, initial bar drink and dinner was very good. If I'm honest, I'm not a huge fan of the green and orange wall colors (a tad too strong but did convey fun, relaxed feel). However, the cookery and flavours of the fish refocused me on what I was there for.. great eating.

We started with an assortment of starters to try as a group of 4. The calimari was the star prepared two different ways. The Cajun one was better. I also sampled the walnut blue cheese salad, which didn't live up to expectations. It was too saucy. I was looking for green crunch and more of the blue cheese sharp notes.

We all ordered different fish. Mine was Dorado with a wasabi preparation. Oh, this was very good. The fish was cooked perfectly and it combined perfectly with the wasabi. I actively joined the sauce in every bite. The dish was joined by an overly saused veggie soy stir fry. Again, I would have preferred a more substantial green vegetable with less sauce and crunch. The side French fries / chips, were cooked perfectly. Crunch and perfectly seasoned. My mates all enjoyed their dishes. Most of the plates were cleaned off. I left some of my soy drenched veggies on the plate but all morses of fish were picked off!

The wine list offers plenty of choice and decently priced.

I did appreciate the personal touch of both wife (front of house Mgr) and husband (chef), curtesy of my mates. The entire service was well timed and overall service excellent.

I'll be back when I'm in Cape Town.

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

My friend and I visited here while we were In Capetown for vacation and could not be more pleased with our dinner choice for the evening. From the Second we walked into the door until we left we felt right at home. The staff was all smiles, very informative, and very welcoming. The food was delicious and inexpensive. I would definitely recommend to anyone traveling or just stopping in from town. :)

Reviewed 6 June 2017

Terrific seafood, lots of specials available on a daily basis. Went here twice on a short visit, reasonably priced as well.

Reviewed 3 June 2017

We hadn't visited this favorite of ours in about 10 years and although they were fully booked they managed to "make a plan". Nothing has changed - food was excellent and it's still as warm and friendly as ever. This is the go-to restaurant for fresh fish. Our meals were - tender calamari, seared tuna steak, the Yaki Soba - which is a chicken, prawn, cashew stir fry, one had Luca's chicken penne which consists of tomato, white wine and pesto cream topped with avocado, 3 cheeses and then baked. The choice of fillings to add - olives, chicken, chorizo and sundried tomatoes and I had the chicken, prawn and cashew curry with lychee, peri peri, coconut milk and fresh coriander. I can't believe that it took us so long to return to this little gem. Blame Cape Town on the plethora of restaurant choices available. PS Uber there - no challenges with parking if you do

Date of visit: March 2017