“Karibu South African Dining, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town, NIGHTMARE”
Review of Karibu

Karibu
Ranked #64 of 1,163 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: African, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Mauritius
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Karibu South African Dining, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town, NIGHTMARE”
Reviewed 27 April 2009

The worst and most expensive place where we ate during our stay from 9 to 18 April 2009.
The person in charge of luring customers into the resto welcomed us with warm smile while praising the quality and variety of their cuisine. We ordered briyani which was described as being exquisite malaysian briyani. 15 mins later, my baby was so tired and restless that I thought of getting the food take away.
We waited for about 20 more minutes before 3 small take aways were brought to us. The Briyani looked and tasted more like 'kichiri', local name given to rice cooked with black lentils. The bill followed shortly but the waiter disappeard. As we did in every other place, we left the cash including the tip on the table and kept the bill in my purse. Not seeing the waiter, I waved at a supervisor who I thought would take the money safely away. However, to my astonishment, he promptly asked me for the bill in front of all other customers happily enjoying their food. I had to open my bag, search for my purse and get the bill while soothing my baby who was fast asleep in my arms. I was bewildered. The guy checked the bill and returned it to me saying that it is a recurrent issue-people dining in for free, MY FOOT. It is very unlikely that people will opt for such an expensive restaurant and decide not to pay after eating there. It was simply a clear case of attitude towards asian community. Attached is a picture of resto and guy who spoiled my holiday.
Why invite us in when you can't stand our dark skin?

1 Thank Anushasky