“Exceptional”
Review of Les Baleines

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hermanus
Les Baleines
Ranked #40 of 86 Hermanus B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2016

In a word....Wow!

We were greeted by Teresa as we got out of the car, so first impressions were really good and that was BEFORE we stepped inside!

The place is homely with an attention to detail scarcely found in anywhere we've ever stayed. My OH travels a lot with work, to some of the best hotels in the world, and he rated this up there with the best of them.
For a guest house, so much thought has been put into everything.

We stayed in the Mountain Monkey room and I was amused to see the monkey theme running throughout the decor. Our bathroom was fantastic, with underfloor heating and both a bath and shower, plus his n hers sinks.
Tea and coffee was provided in the room, and also down in the dining room.
Our room was next to the library, which led out onto a balcony overlooking the pool (not heated!) and with fabulous views out to sea; another couple saw whales early morning, but we didn't see any during our stay.
We didn't experience any noise during our stay and had two of the best night's sleep of our holiday.

There was a bar in the dining room, which is run on an honesty system, but we didn't use this.

On checking in, Teresa informed us that she'd booked us a table at Burgundy restaurant in town; this was a nice touch as we had no clue where to go for food.
Hermanus isn't huge, and not too far away driving wise, though we wouldn't recommend Burgundy (see my review).

Breakfast was great, the staff were really friendly and helpful.I loved the plantpot muffins :-)

It's not a huge place, but we liked that about it as it meant we felt we got a more personal service and it gave us a chance to talk with fellow travellers.

Parking is available at the front of the property (3 spaces) plus a huge, secure car park at the rear.

Yes, the property is unmanned at night, and there is a locked gate, but I don't feel this was at all detrimental, especially from a security point of view.

Our only criticism has to be of the wifi; we ended up standing next to the office door to send messages back home via whatsapp (I only wanted to send photos to show off what a beautiful place we were staying in!!)

I would recommend this place in a heartbeat. We've actually booked again already for next year.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely; but we loved the Mountain Monkey room

Reviewed 15 October 2016 via mobile

We spent one night in Les Baleines this week as part of our honeymoon. It became a hub for us to do Whale Watching & Shark Diving.

Leaving Capetown on Thursday I read some of the most recent reviews on this place and I was a little apprehensive of what to expect when we arrived.

I needn't have been worried though as what we got was a lovely homely feel country style boutique guest house with absolute stunning views and an exceptional room. (See pictures).

We were greeted by the lady in reception. I can see why people are frustrated with having to be buzzed in but for me I liked the added security.

The lady in reception who's name I cannot remember advised she had booked us Whale watching and dinner at the Burgundy restaurant down at the harbour. We canceled the whale watching as we were booked on our own tour at 3pm.

While it might be a little frustrating them booking both of these without us asking, I can see why small businesses needed to do this to increase their revenue (I'm guessing they receive referral fees.

As I say a lovely little spot for us to stay not too far from town. We didn't get to experience the breakfast as we had to leave at 5am the following morning for our shark diving tour.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2016

This guest house felt very impersonal. We arrived after a 4 hour drive to be greeted by a locked gate. After ringing the bell 3 times we were eventually spoken to by a lady over the intercom and the gate lock remotely released. We then had to wait for her to come snd unlock the front door before we could get in to the building. Not a great start as it was pouring with rain. Not much of a welcome.
It was then explained that a dinner booking had been made for us at a local restaurant for that evening and a whale boat trip booked for us for the following day neither of which we had requested and we were told that if we wanted to cancel them we would have to phone and cancel them ourselves within half an hour which seemed a bit much.
However we then realised that this is because with the exception of arrival and breakfast times the building is unmanned.
The hotel itself has a strange assortment of art currios personal belongings and furniture that gives it a very cluttered old fashioned appearance, and because it is largely unmanned an erie atmosphere which made us feel quite uncomfortable, as though we were trespassing into someones home.
We stayed in the Blue Whale Suite which is on the ground floor directly off the large communal room that serves as a lounge/bar/breakfast room. The bed room is poorly soundproofed so we felt we had no privacy and could clearly hear any conversation taking place on the other side of the door, and presumably anyone in the main room could hear ours. The proximity of the bedroom to the bar also meant that on our second night we were kept awake by a group of fellow guests who were loudly enjoying the honesty bar completely unaware that we were there listening everything that they were saying.
I am sure that Les Balienes will appeal to some travellers but although we usually appreciate quirky it wasn't for us.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2016

We stayed in this hotel for two nights on our honeymoon. The house is lovely and the girls who run the house are very helpful and friendly. We stayed in the Blue whale suite which is on the ground floor. This was nicely decorated room however it is just off the dining room so it didnt feel very private, luckily it wasnt too busy in the morning but we could still hear clinking of spoons in bowls, not ideal on your honeymoon. I also found the room to feel quite damp with damp visible on the roof and it felt quite cold, we needed the air conditioning on. The bathroom and bath were great though, I think we had like three baths in the two days we were there!!

Breakfast was lovely, no shortage of food :) Very quite in the evenings though with no one around and it is quite far out of town. I know some people got taxis but we drove in and out of Hermanus.

The wifi was very poor and kept coming and going all the time, we couldnt get it in our room which was very frustrating. It was raining for the two days we spent in Hermanus and all boat tours were cancelled, with no internet it wasnt much fun!

Overall it was nice but I dont think I would stay there again, maybe in another room.

Room Tip: Dont stay in the room downstairs
Reviewed 9 October 2016

A great place to stay. Mountain views from the front door, coastal views from every room in the large house. We were very welcomed by the lady of the house and her staff, we were booked into Burgundy Restaurant for when we arrived, which was a lovely place, although Les Baleines out of town, a cab was only £5 each way. The large house consisted of under floor heating in the bathroom, binoculars in most rooms, a library, very comfy bedroom, breakfast was great as was the room we ate it in, over looking the sea, out door swimming pool, a very comfy place to stay, great attention to detail for everything you could need. We saw 6 Whales on our 5 mile coastal walk.
We would come back.

Room Tip: Upper floors are good for sea views from library