All reviews ostrich steak swartberg mountains the main house make you feel at home lovely pool stayed for nights road trip len host setting garden humour animals retreat
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed with Len and the gang for 2 nights and had the best time.

Thabile Lodge is definitely a place of happiness set in beautiful surroundings with amazing views. The lodge has a unique rustic feel, which helps to promote an air of peace and tranquility. Rooms are furnished in a rustic style, which adds to the charm of Thabile Lodge. Accomodation is air conditioned and each room has a tv.

Gertraud and the animals greeted us on arrival with a cold beer and gave us plenty of info and ideas to help us decide on what we would do during our stay. The farm has 6 dogs, 2 cats and a parrot called Eric!

We ate each night on the veranda with the other guests, which was the best part of the stay. The food prepared by Hennie is awesome and Len keeps everyone entertained with his wicked sense of humour.

If you are an animal lover looking for a relaxing and peaceful retreat with a friendly relaxed atmosphere then Thabile Lodge should be your choice!

Thanks Len, Gertraud and Hennie for your hospitality and making our time at Thabile Lodge unforgettable

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Literally lulled into this tranquil spot, the drive on the 60 and 62 from Paarl to Oudtshoorn is a bevy of surprises that assist in leaving behind the hustle and bustle of Cape Town and wine country. From the brilliant red outcroppings and vinyard covered hills to the surprising and dramatic canyons that crop up after dry stretches of brush all dotted with cool, art-filled towns, the eventful drive speeds past and leads to Thabile. Len and his coterie of dogs greet you with an open heart and a winning smile (and wagging tails, as the case may be!)

A perfect spot to explore this area of South Africa, Thabile Lodge provides unpretentious and comfortable digs where you can unwind, chat, laugh, drink, and enjoy the colors of the rock outcropping as the sun sets. Your worries melt away as the rocks change colors, and you are lulled into a sense of well-being.

The food! Ostrich pate anyone? Incredible babotie. A surprise for a foodie who has been spolied by the farm-to-table culture of San Francisco. Thanks, Hennie, for the delicious food. I felt like a twin to Garfield, your fat cat who shared the patio sun with me.

And, thanks, Len, for your warmth and hospitality, and your wickedly funny sense of humor. You truly made me feel at home.

This is my destination of choice when I tackle the garden route on my next visit to South Africa. I always thought I would start in the Western Cape and drive up toward Port Elizabeth, but I can't imagine ending up anywhere else but Thabile. A place of happiness indeed!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I have frequented this amazing lodge quite a few times in the last years - an it's been a most rewarding experience everytime! Len is a delightful character (and owner) and so is the rest of his staff - personal, friendly and helpful. The lodge is comfortable, food a real 'experience (courtecy of Hennie) and the chalets and restaurant, bar and pool something you will not forget! Tou will feel at home here and be part of the "family".

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in February and had a wonderful stay, the setting, food and wine made for an amazing stay, highlighted by our host Len, who told the most amazing stories and cheeky jokes taht we really didn't want to leave!! We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed at Thabile for a couple of days. What a wonderful break from the city. I feel like a new person returning and also a bit like i left my family behind. Between Len, Ma Gertraud and Henny every guest is spoiled and looked after. The meals are top class and the best ostrich fillet i ever had! The rooms are spacious and comfy with aircons. The views and sunsets were beautiful and its a special place to be. I fell in love with the dogs and this is definately a place i would recommend and return too. Oh and then you leave with a clean washed car too!! Thanks everyone at Thabile!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo