“Must try their Maki and "Longest Tempura ever"!!!”
Review of Sensei Sushi

Sensei Sushi
Ranked #31 of 355 Restaurants in Paranaque
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 16 March 2017

Hubby was craving for good sushi but did not want to go back to our usual Japanese resto spots. He accidentally read a review on Sensei and suggested we try it out. It was supposed be along Aguirre rd, but we missed it the first time we passed by it. We found it the 3rd time when we drove REALLY slow this time. Place seems packed and so was their parking. People were lining up outside, we decided to stay even if it took awhile to get both a table and a parking slot. It was a small , quaint spot but we were lucky enough to get a table good for three.
For the food , we ordered a lot of maki , sushi and of course, tempura. For us, a Japanese food trip is not complete without ordering a Tempura :) Service was fast , it did not take long before our food started coming in. We love everything that we ordered. The tempura , most especially. It pretty much surprised us since it was our first time to see about a foot long tempura (since it was deep fried with a head.) The only down side to our experience is that our table was too small for our food.
The ambiance was a little too "dark" like for me. Diners were mostly young professionals . I did not notice any other family dining. It actually had a "Makati after work vibe" but the moment you step out, you'd realize that you are actually in BF Homes.
Going back to the food, it was good. Price wise, you get what you pay for. High quality Japanese food.
Was the wait worth it? Definitely yes.

Reviewed 24 January 2017

Tuna Tartare, this is the one thing that keeps me coming back to this restaurant. It is fresh and very lovely.

Special mentions are the Crispy Philly, Beef Teppanyaki and Grilled Steak. Food was seasoned right and the beef dishes soft and had really good flavor.

One thing though the food is great, it is a little bit on the expensive side.

Reviewed 21 November 2016 via mobile

Sensei Sushi! If I was ever going to try one thing only in the famed Aguirre foodie street down South, it'll be this sensational Japanese resto with a twist by Chef Bruce Ricketts.

So, last Sunday, when my wife surprisingly said she wanted to try Aguirre, I took the chance to visit Sensei Sushi. Grabe, I found out that this place has been here in Aguirre 5 years this month. Wow. And I only got to try it on its 60th month of existence. And what a resto this was.

The novelty would probably have been more impactful had I tried this years ago before Chef Bruce also conceptualized the menu of Ooma. I can see his flair and appreciate his Japanese flavor palette by tasting the food here in Sensei Sushi.

First up, we ordered Salmon Sashimi. It was okay. 5 pieces for P260. Didn't look that appealing but it seemed fresh enough. Rating: 3.5/5

Second, and probably one of the more high value for money products is Salmon Belly Aburi (torched), two pieces of torches salmon sushi topped with scallions, truffle oil, ikura and reduced soy sauce. At P380, a tad pricey. Loving the blend of flavors in my mouth. Rating: 4/5 (-1 for the high value for money)

Third is their Fried Oysters, at P160, this is value for money. 6 pieces of crisp fried oysters topped with kimchi purée, garlic aioli and a reduced soy sauce. Now the flavors here blended well without overpowering the oysters. The kimchi purée is genius, as the flavor complemented but added to the experience. It wasn't too spicy that my wife could take it. Brilliant! 5/5

Fourth is one of their best selling Maki's, the Tuna and Crispy Scallop Dynamite. Described as Kyuri, cream cheese, dynamite sauce and crispy scallops, it packs a bit of spice with the dynamite sauce. I like the blend of soft creaminess and tuna with the crisp scallop on top. Also the heat is good. However, I found the dynamite sauce too much as it dominated the flavor of the Maki. Thus, I wasn't able to enjoy the cream cheese as much. The dynamite sauce, admittedly, is reminiscent of a tomato ketchup and mayo blend so I'm not necessarily a fan of it. Kudos to the ingredients, form factor, plating and everything else. Rating: 4/5

Lastly, the Grilled Steak, which I think is the original version of Ooma's Hanger Steak. Excellent plating, with crispy potatoes, sake and ponzu butter, sesame seeds, truffle oil and garlic. The steak is almost sukiyaki cut, rolled around the crispy potatoes, then topped with the other ingredients. At P550, it's a bit pricey though. However, if you're in a carnivorous mood, this is the way to go.

We missed the uni chahan (out of stock uni nila ) and I dared to skip their huge huge 7 piece Ebi Tempura, so these are great things to try next time. And with a bigger group.

The ambience is quite simple, like one of those Japanese holes in the wall that you see in Tokyo or in Little Tokyo, Makati. We sat at the bar, perfect for pictures too. Though I did see two crawling insects semi dead or dead. Not that great cleaning up the place. They did say they just had pest control which was understandable but this deserves that -1. Other than that, the food and service was top notch. And the speed to cook also great.

It's probably sacrilegious to compare Sensei Sushi with Ooma, especially for the southern peeps and those who tried Sensei Sushi first, but since I'm not usually in Parañaque, I'll settle for Ooma which is more easily found in the metro. But for sure, if I have occasion to visit Aguirre again, Sensei will be at the top of my list!

Reviewed 9 November 2016

Sensei Sushi never disappoints, no matter how many times you go. Ordered the foie gras sushi again, and fell in love with it all over again. Tried their new dish, Salmon and Potato Sushi, and it was divine - surprisingly refreshing! Other must-try dishes are the cali maki with prawn popcorn, spicy tuna salad, and crispy philly (fried sushi with salmon, cream and asparagus).
A warning to those with allergies - the ebi tempura contains shrimp skin.
The place is small and fills up fast so go early or, better yet, make a reservation in advance.

Reviewed 9 October 2016

I had dinner with my husband at Sensei Sushi and ordered Chirashi. soft-shell crab tempura and some edamame.I honestly have to say that it fell short of my expectations, as this resto kept getting great reviews. First off, the ingredients used in their Chirashi weren't fresh and were obviously frozen and had just just been thawed. The kani sticks were dry. The serving size was too small as I can get fresh and bigger sashimi slices, with more variety, for the same price (Php 650). I paid Php2k just what what I ordered. plus one iced tea. Service was okay and the place was clean. even if it was packed on a Sunday night.