“amazing holiday”

Oludeniz Resort by Z'Hotels
Ranked #88 of 121 Hotels in Oludeniz
Reviewed 15 June 2008

We went there with the 3 families, iwe enjoyed very much, it was a lovely place, we enjoyed, the children loved the kidsclub. The food was very good, especialy the dessertbuffet. and very nice service!
we will come back next year, it is already booked!

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank baba91
Write a ReviewReviews (1,241)

Reviewed 13 June 2008

I arrived home today after having a great holiday at the Oludeniz Resort Hotel.We are regular travellers to Turkey and over the years I have stayed in very many hotels.So what is different about this one.
The Staff and Management Team are really attentive ,kind, courteous and always there to help you and listen.
The restaurant is just getting better and better,There is a Babys corner, seperate Pasta Bar, great variation on the salad section infact this section is really lovely. The chefs are great ,smile and help you, the knew executive chef looks great as well as producing great food.

Pancakes available in the garden all day long! Snack bar pizzas are now better than last year.Please try the ala carte it was lovely to sit and eat really nice turkish cuisine

Rooms, I have always liked the rooms at this hotel as I like charm more than ultra modern ,they are clean ,my maid was good and whenever we could not understand each other we rang reception and translate(really funny)

Reception team are really a great team Erduane, Mustafa ,Ali, plus all the others remember us from before and immediately help us settle back in.

Entertainment/Animation what a great team of people so kind and friendly,brilliant with the children very attentive to them,
a special mention for Emin,Mellie, Rance and of course junior is back and he is a good addition as he knows the repeat customers
There was one outside show while we were there a turkish evening it was very ,very good I would have enjoyed seeing them again.
The cocktail evening was a great idea as all the management team mingled with you so faces to names really help.
A special mention must go to a lovely man called Ferhat although not employed by Oludeniz resort Hotel his Jewellers shop is in side. A very good asset non the less, he also helps every body if they ask him and he will always point you to the right person in the hotel.Also the children love him!!
I was glad to see that the shop was open 24hrs again, 3 cheers to Volkan.
Cehan the general manager i think has managed to retain the charm of the hotel but has put in some good new ideas
Finally Guest relations Irina is lovely
I am going back in 5 weeks Why? because I loved it

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank cleopatra8
Reviewed 11 June 2008

We have just returned from another fantastic holiday at the Olu Deniz Resort hotel. We arrived on 26th May to be greeted by another holiday maker who advised us that the hotel had been taken over by a Russian company and that everything was awful. This was our 4th visit to this hotel in 4 years and we decided to wait and make our own minds up. A lot of the staff that had worked for the hotel forn several years had left after the takeover due to pay and working conditions so we were a little dissapointed as we had made several good friends. We always go the same 2 weeks each year as do a lot of people and we soon met up with lots of familiar faces. I must admit that for the first couple of days the pool bar was a little short staffed but this was very soon rectified.
The food was lovely, hot, tasty wide variety of choice and plenty of it. The waiters work extremely hard and although they are very busy they will always find time for a chat and will happily go and get drinks for you and bring them to your table. The breakfasts were great and the chef would cook you omlettes,pancakes or fried eggs. There was a huge variety of food at all mealtimes and was always well presented. I think that anyone who said that the food was awful would be an extremely fussy person. I think that there may have been a few teething problems before we arrived as every day things seemed to get better and better.
The first week of the holiday was half term and it did get very busy around the main pool especially for sunbeds, it was a little cramped and you did have to get up very early (6.30am)to get sunbeds around the pool. I did go up to the relax pool in the afternoons for swim and it is beautiful up there with stunning views of the mountains and low key atmosphere.
The bar staff work very very hard and will be polite and friendly, they have to put up with a lot of rude guests who do not say please or thank you and demand to be served immediately (mainly german and russian) and they work quite often from 8am untill 2am. We found them to be lovely people.
The only thing we found a little dissapointing this year was the evening entertainment as I think that we had been very spoilt in previous years. The children still loved it though and the entertainment team again work very long hours and will organise pool and sports games during the day and dance with the kids and adults in the evening. There was also live music in the olive garden some evenings which made a really nice change.
The kids club this year was much better and the 2 girls that worked with the kids were great. They would take the kids for a couple of hours in the morning and again in the afternoon and do arts and crafts, pool games, face painting, watch dvd,s and also organised a talent show which the kids all performed on stage one evening.
The maids are brilliant and cleaned rooms every day, even made little patterns on your bed with nighties's and sheets, always friendly and smiling. The grounds were immaculate with beautiful trees, bushes and plants and they had staff every day sweeping up leaves ect. The pool area was hosed down every day and sunbeds cleaned and water in pool was tested every day as well. We used the hotel spa and had a massage and pedicure. The massage was lovely but the pedicure was a little pricey in comparison to other hairdressers outside the hotel so it is worth shopping around to book any trips,massages,ect. Two of our friends went paragliding while we were there and this was organised by Re-action. This is a great experience and the views are stunning.
I have read quite a few of the other reviews about this hotel from people who stayed a couple of weeks before me and I will say that any problems that they encountered have now been rectified. I still love this hotel, the staff, and the resort and think it is excellent value for money. My children loved it as well and made many good friends.
The hotel management really did appreciate constructive critism and have done everything they can to put things right, they even held 2 cocktail evenings for repeat guests to attend to obtain feedback from them. I think that things will get better and better and I would have no hesitation in coming here again. We travelled with First choice but it is quite easy to book accomodation and trasfers direct with hotel and good flights seperately as this works out much cheaper. The hotel staff speak very good English and you can also request particular rooms as we stayed in one of the new blocks with a lovely view of the hotel grounds and gardens.

Well thats it really, lovely hotel, friendly hardworking staff and a beautiful resort. I want to go back already !!!! Roll on next year.

3  Thank oludenizfanclub
Reviewed 11 June 2008

We have just got back from Olu Deniz resort hotel, let me first tell you that our first week was not good, we had to move rooms as we are 2 adults and a 5 year old boy in a small room only really designed for 2, the hotel were great though and moved us the next morning to a much nicer and bigger room. The hotel and complex is very nice and clean and tidy, thankfully after a few complaints the new management have started to turn things around, some not so good areas that still need to change...
1) The mini club is very poor and very badly run, our son went on our second day, I went to check it out, the toys are all broken and in a dangerous state some money needs to be spent on this place, supervisors speak very poor English and on the second occasion our son went he climbed the fence and came back to us by the pool without them even knowing....do all the travel companies using this hotel ever check this area...? Needless to say he did not go again.
2) The food improved a lot the second week but knowing what it is can be a challenge, nothing labelled if you like chips then you will love it as that appears the only thing they can do with potatoes.
3) The restaurant can get very hot and smokey, it appears they are afraid to turn on the aircon and keep saying it is broken.
4) The music around the pool area is constantly the same boom, boom, boom all day and night set at a unbelievable volume, there is a great relaxation pool to get away from it but if you have kids no chance as over 16 only, I have no idea why people without kids would want to go to this hotel....Please have a quiet period sometime during the day and turn the volume down a bit.
5) If you want a bed by the pool you better be a early riser, I had to be up at 6am every day to get beds.
6) They have a bus to their private beach 3 times a day, forget it, we thought we would be going to the lagoon, well it is a little cove on the opposite side very cramped no real beach for the kids, the day we went people wer getting back on the bus, when we went in we found out why, we had a very long walk back to the lagoon, which of course is beautiful.
7) Probably the worst experience is getting a drink at the bar, you hear many people complaining all the time sometimes it can take you 10 mins very, very frustrating, not enough staff.
8) There is a ala carte restaurant every night by the relaxation pool which looks very nice but you have to pay 4 euro per person, why? I have no idea I thought all inclusive meant ALL inclusive..!
The management have a long way to go with this place and should listen to their guests, or even study this website, give customers what they want or you will have non, would I recommend to a friend? Probably not, at least not right now, maybe it will get better....watch this space a.....!!!

3  Thank InterestingReview
Reviewed 8 June 2008

Having read all the previous reviews of this hotel, we were expecting a fabulous holiday. However, it wasn’t as good as we thought. The hotel has been taken over by Russians and standards are not as good as they used to be.

We’re a family of 2 adults, 2 children and a baby.

We arrived at the hotel around 5pm, after travelling from the early hours of the morning. We checked in and were taken to our room where we faced our first disappointment. We requested a ground floor room when booking as it’s easier with a pushchair and my husband is waiting knee surgery so has mobility problems. The room we were allocated was in a lower terrace underneath the children’s club and accessed by a stone spiral staircase, which was very difficult to carry the pushchair up and down.

The room is accessed by a small passageway barely wider than the pushchair. There was a small terrace, slightly wider than the patio chairs on it which had a lovely view of a brick wall. The room had one very small window, but due to the brick wall, it received very little natural daylight and there was little movement of fresh air. Beach towels left on the patio chairs were still damp the next morning. The room was dark and gloomy with poor lighting, and very hot and stuffy as the air conditioning didn’t work properly.

We opened the mini bar expecting to find cold drinks, but it was empty. I checked the travel cot and was dismayed to find the frame was broken and the whole thing collapsed if you put any weight on it. As my daughter is at the pulling herself up stage, it was an accident waiting to happen.

My husband went back to reception to report the problems and to sort out the safety deposit box. He was astonished to discover the charge was £35 for a 14 night holiday. The travel cot was replaced with another one, and we were given a 1.5L bottle of water for the mini bar. It became apparent later that mini bar fridge was broken.

We went to bed early that night as we were tired from all the travelling. At 11.30pm the phone rang and woke us up. It was reception claiming we had underpaid for the safety deposit box, and they demanded that my husband immediately went to reception with more money. He lost his temper at this point and told them he refused to pay anymore and hung up. We were never pestered again for more money.

We met our maid the following day. We’d been in the swimming pool and went back to the room to put dry clothing on before going into lunch. She was clearly annoyed that we needed to use the room and she said some abrupt words in Turkish. The following day she arrived just after breakfast and again was annoyed because we were in the room putting sun cream on.

Overall the maid service was poor. She removed the top sheets from the bed, leaving us with just a blanket to sleep under. She was only leaving two bath towels which is obviously not enough to dry five people on, and my waist length hair! We ran out of bottled water and toilet roll. I had to make a daily trips to reception to ask for the missing items.

After a few days, we decided we couldn’t stand being in the room any longer. I complained through the Cosmos rep who managed to get us moved to a newer apartment block near the Olive Grove bar.

This room was great! It was on the ground floor so easier on husband’s knee and with the pushchair. There were patio doors leading out onto a balcony that overlooked a garden area and it was pleasant to sit out. We had fresh air and daylight in the room and air conditioning and a fridge that worked. The maid working on this block was much better. We always had plenty of supplies and she did a very good job of keeping the room tidy. We had no complaints at all with the second room.

We were promised some free wine and a fruit basket from the hotel to apologise for the bad service, but this never arrived.

FOOD

The restaurant is badly organised with not enough staff. At opening time, you have to join the scrum for tables, and there are big queues for the food counters. If you go in later, the tables have not been cleared from the previous diners, and you have to ask for the table to be cleared, then repeatedly remind them that you need cutlery, glasses etc. There is supposed to be a drinks service in the restaurant, but the waiters are so busy that it’s almost impossible to get a drink.

The food is very repetitive. I got sick of the sight of veal ragout, boiled chicken and rolled up fish, which were on every day. They occasionally did very nice dishes, such as a spicy herby kofta, adana kebaps and a curried potato dish, but these meals only appeared once during our holiday. It would have been better to have more variety on a daily basis or at least have different meals for lunch and dinner.

The quality of the ingredients was poor at times and the presentation could have been better. I once got a beef stir fry dish, and the meat tasted more like stewing steak and I couldn’t chew it.

The dishwasher didn’t seem to work properly as the crockery often had food traces on or heavy water marks. It was common for them to run out of cups, glasses and dessert plates so guests had to ask for more. These would be red hot out of the dishwasher, and you don’t want a hot glass for juice!

High chairs were given a quick wipe on the tray, but there were often food traces left round the sides of the tray and on the chair itself. The seat cushions often had crumbs and dropped food on, so check before you put your baby in as my daughter ended up with food stains on her bottom a couple of times.

The snack bar was ok for burgers and hot dogs with chips which were served between 12pm-4pm, then cakes from 4pm-5pm.

The pide oven wasn’t operational at the start of our holiday, but it was used every day at the end. They serve fresh pide from around 6-7pm.

BAR

The bars are also understaffed which means delays getting drinks. Don’t just wait to be served as you will be ignored. You have to catch their eye or call “excuse me” to get any service.

As they are so busy, the washing up builds up. Although they have a dishwasher, often the glasses just get rinsed under the tap and reused which isn’t very hygienic.

We often sat in the Olive Grove on an evening. That bar only has one person working on it and he had to serve drinks and collect used glasses. Often he was so busy serving that he would run out of glasses and supplies, so we’d have to go through to the main bar to fetch drinks.

I had to complain about the bar staff on one afternoon. My children were playing with a gang of other boys aged between 9-13 years. They were playing in the pool and all got out to get a drink from the bar. They asked for soft drinks and the barman asked if they wanted beer or vodka. They thought he was teasing them so they said yes, and were shocked when they were actually given beer and vodka. Thankfully they had the sense to tell an adult rather than drink the drinks. I thought this was highly irresponsible given that it was hot afternoon and the children were in wet trunks so it was obvious they were playing in the pool. I made an official complaint to Cosmos about and another mother complained to First Choice.

ICE CREAM

At the beginning of the holiday, ice cream was available between 11.30am-12.30pm and 6.30pm-7.30pm. A lot of parents complained as lunch starts at 12.30pm and dinner at 7.30pm, so the children were filling up on ice cream and not eating their main meals!

Ice cream is now available between 1.30pm-3.30pm, which is a much shorter time period than advertised in the brochure.

THE BEACH

The hotel no longer has any facilities on the beach outside of the hotel. There is a mini bus to the lagoon, but often more people turn up than the bus can hold and again it’s a scrum to get on it. We found it was easier walking along to the lagoon ourselves and paying to get in. A local told us that the public beach in the middle was a lot nicer than the hotel beaches so we did the right thing.

THE POOL

There are not enough sunbeds around the pool and there is a big problem with people reserving the sunbeds. We were up early one morning to go on a trip and were astonished to note that around ¾’s of the beds were reserved by 7am! We bought two cheap lilos so if we couldn’t get a sunbed, we had our own lilo to lay on.

THE HUTS

The best bit about the hotel was the huts. These are in the garden area not far from the Olive Grove Bar. They are decked areas, covered by a thatched straw shade and filled with big cushions. It’s a lovely place to chill out, and I had a few nice snoozes in there with my baby!

OLU DENIZ RESORT

The resort itself has fabulous scenery and the local people are lovely. We made some good friends with the shopkeepers just outside the hotel as we walked past everyday and they took a genuine interest in us. Spice Boy owns one of these shops and sells gorgeous spices and other Turkish gifts.

We did a Turkish bath and massage with the Belcekiz Beach hotel next door as their prices were considerably cheaper than the Beach Resort. The service was excellent and I would highly recommend them.

I did paragliding with Sky Sports at £70. They cost a little more than other providers but given the risk of the sport, I’d rather pay more for peace of mind. I’ve previously done a number of sky-dives and Sky Sports were the only company who could answer my techy questions (I’ll not bore you with the details!). Insurance of £1.5 million euros is included in your jump fee and you can buy a CD of photographs of your jump for £10. These pictures are fantastic and it’s worth it. You can see them on the PC before you decide to purchase.

We had a meal at The Small House restaurant. It’s just off the main street where Bloody Gorgeous puts all his stands out. They serve Turkish food, and the quality and presentation was fantastic. Well worth a visit.

The best bar is Shadows/Sultan Pepper restaurant. A lovely group of lads work there and they will make sure you have a good time. We had lots of good laughs in there and ended up in there nearly every day. Got loads of very fond memories and would highly recommend it.

I’ve waffled on for ages now! Just to sum up, I would certainly return to Olu Deniz itself but based on our visit, I wouldn’t return to the Beach Resort. It’s a lovely hotel and the location is great, but the service levels we received we really disappointing.

4  Thank becles